Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists - Rules of the road

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

cajonlardo wrote: »
    No , not at all.
    But shimmy could explain it if it was on a downhill like you described.
    This was an asshole in very professional gear milking the downhill experience and taking over the road, there was no way he didn't know I was behind him. I don't think it was a wobble, it wasn't that steep a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

eternal wrote: »
    This was an asshole in very professional gear milking the downhill experience and taking over the road, there was no way he didn't know I was behind him. I don't think it was a wobble, it wasn't that steep a hill.

fair enough, you were there and I was not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I was driving down a very steep, narrow hill and this single cyclist...
    it wasn't that steep a hill.

Right there Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

I have noticed the odd cyclist breaking red lights in Dublin city, but they are taking a chance with their life.

You mustn't get out much if you only see the odd cyclist breaking red lights.

fair enough, you were there and I was not.

I wasn't angry but it did bug me. The other thing I don't like is cyclists approaching towards you from the wrong side, breaking lights and with no regard whatsoever to lanes. The city is the worst for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Avoiding bad patches no doubt.
    Don't think those rather expensive racing bikes like bumbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Today is probably not the best day to be putting one of these threads up...

Merrion wrote: »
    Today is probably not the best day to be putting one of these threads up...

Uh?

I was driving down a very steep, narrow hill
    it wasn't that steep a hill.
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    Right there Ted.

:D

:D

Leave me alone, I have a sore ear :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Andy is either dumb, a troll, or a combination of the two.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Andy is either dumb, a troll, or a combination of the two.

A trollub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

kneemos wrote: »
    Uh?

Because some scum bag killed a cyclist in a hit and run yesterday evening. But people will probably thinks that's great craic too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

The cycling paths in some areas of the city are not good. Not the roadways but on the paths in which pedestrians constantly walk on it.

It's a lose/lose situation. You cycle in the middle of the footpath and pedestrians give out. You cycle in the middle of the road and the drivers give out.

It's a lose/lose situation. You cycle in the middle of the footpath and pedestrians give out. You cycle in the middle of the road and the drivers give out.

Isn't one of those totally illegal. Probably best to avoid that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

There are a lot more cyclists on the roads now and I think people just have to get used to it. In general cyclists are grand apart from the common breaking of red lights when they can.

I did come across a group of 5 cyclists taking up two lanes of the Dunkettle roundabout at rush hour as they went around towards the Midleton Road. They were really causing problems for traffic as they were slipping on to a road where there is no hard shoulder and they either had to get on to the slip road for Carraigtwohill or get into the main road towards Waterford midleton. It was not a road 5 cyclists should have been on at rush hour. I think this would be my only dig at cyclists is that some roads are really not suitable for cycling. These 5 guys may have made an honest mistake though and gone on a route they were not familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Because some scum bag killed a cyclist in a hit and run yesterday evening. But people will probably thinks that's great craic too.

Ah now here,...don't be lobbin that in here. Doesn't belong

psinno wrote: »
    Isn't one of those totally illegal. Probably best to avoid that one.

You'd think drivers would understand that, wouldn't you?

• Advertisement

You'd think drivers would understand that, wouldn't you?

I didn't use to appreciate drivers but they days I'm kinda into the way they keep quant customs like stopping at red lights and driving only one way down a one way street so I'll cut them some slack.

I didn't use to appreciate drivers but they days I'm kinda into the way they keep quant customs like stopping at red lights and driving only one way down a one way street so I'll cut them some slack.

Yeah, them quaint drivers who don't break the rules of the road. They're so nice the way they wait behind cyclists, don't beep, overtake safely, don't have to slam on the breaks from a few metres behind you because they realised it might not be a good idea to plough through a cyclist.

I was hospitalised after a driver ran a red light and sent me at least 10 feet into the air. Anyway, we've covered this ground extensively. Fools on bikes, fools in cars, fools on skateboards...

Fools on bikes, fools in cars, fools on skateboards...

I see an order of magnitude more fools on bikes than in cars on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...towards the Strawberry Beds holding up a LONG line of traffic. These roads are just too narrow and curved to accommodate both cyclists and cars.

The problem as I see it is that there are 2 to 3 times as many cars on the roads now than there was in the 1960's when bikes were last as popular as they have become in recent years. Cars now can easily do much greater speeds than they could easily do in the 1960's but bikes are going at least twice as fast with fitter and thinner people riding them than in the 1960's eg. a builders labourer etc on a high nellie single speed steel frame bike compared to the sporty 15 speed gear alloy or carbon framed bikes of today ridden by fitness fanatics in sparse purpose made attire.....

Car drivers will have to get used to more bikes and unexpectedly slow objects on the road and bikers will have to get used to higher and higher traffic volumes at higher speeds than back in the 1960's. As a driver you can no longer rely on engine noises and quick glances to keep you out of trouble and avoid collisions. You now have to inspect every corner for sometimes hard to see bikes as well especially in conditions of glare and poor lighting at dawn and dusk. The left hand space must also be examined carefully for potential undertaking bikes, something you would not be bothered doing 10 yrs ago when bikes were scarce and everyone went about in cars. Opening a car door when exiting on a public street now has become a danger point as you have to be aware of silent speeding bikes which might be bearing down on you and the potential for an accident and a lawsuit.

Turning left in a fully occupied car has now become a nightmare as passengers have to be told to keep their arms down and give the driver a better view of the left-hand rear-view mirror to watch out for undertaking bikes in slow or stalled traffic. All these extra impositions tend to make car drivers resent the presence of bikes on the road.

As time moves on the government will have to make provision for more space for cyclists preferably separate from other road users especially on busy roads and narrow windy roads where there is not the space for both transport types in any numbers. This will take time, patience and MONEY.......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,428 ✭✭✭tritium

Naahhh!

For every red light jumping cyclist I see (lots) I see a fcuking moron on the phone or texting while they drive, or deciding amber light means accelerate (sometimes red too!!)

Ok.

Then how come the hospital wards and graveyards are not full of cyclists?

Why can I get 3rd party insurance as a cyclist for €25 that covers risk up to 3.5 million?

I can guarantee I've driven further and under more pressure than most of these thread ranters, and I can tell you its not cyclists that caused the headaches.

tritium wrote: »
    deciding amber light means accelerate

At least it show some acknowledgement that the nicely coloured lights at the side of the road have some supposed meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

You mustn't get out much if you only see the odd cyclist breaking red lights.

I drive every day, and I just don't see many breaking red lights. I don't know what country you are from, but it seems you see every cyclist breaking red lights with that attitude you have there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

I think the op needs a wee holiday.

I suggest taking this weekend off and head to Kerry to get away from those pesky cyclists. Killorglin or Cahirciveen or even Killarney should be just perfect. :)

Advertisement