Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Pubs in Wexford Town

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 tonylamb

When I come to Wexford  were sort 1 2 1    name  a place my  dad would just hit him.

When I come to Wexford  were sort 1 2 1    name  a place my  dad would just hit him.

Sorry  mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

np, it's hard to judge tone & context online. Didn't mean to sound flippant.

Ted are  you a Wexford man tell me  do you remember the Dolphin bar in Maudlitown

• Advertisement

I blew in around 11ish years ago, but have had connections since before then too.

The name rings a bell, but can't place it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

The Dolphin Bar, now called the Sailing Cot. Brady's pub across the road has been closed for a few years now. A good pub in town is The White Horse, near the Talbot Hotel.

Aye was thinking it was the Sailing Cot in a former life.

White Horse has just re-opened under new management in last week or so. Called John Barry now.

The Pike is a good spot up in Barracks street, as was the Thomas Moore Tavern, don't really like it now they done it up & modernised it.

I like a spit' n' sawdust pub myself... (not the spit part, of course)
    Mary's Bar, just off the Bullring, used to be great, but I heard it's not the same anymore. Kelly's of the Faythe is still good, as is The Pike.

wHello  mate, sorry I'm going to  Wexford 6/05/17 tell me

• Advertisement

coolhull wrote: »
    I like a spit' n' sawdust pub myself... (not the spit part, of course)
    Mary's Bar, just off the Bullring, used to be great, but I heard it's not the same anymore. Kelly's of the Faythe is still good, as is The Pike.

Same here Coolio.

Mary's was grand last time I was there. Much prefer the "old-man" type places, though spit-n-sawdust sounds better.
    Can't be dealing with crowds & noise aka pop-music blaring.

Or you could always try Jim Laffan's at the north end of the town or Heffernan's in South Main St. if you really want an 'authentic' Wexford pub.
    Though some would say they're a bit too authentic!
    Anyway the weather should be good in May, so have yourself a good time, whichever pub you decide to go to...

Macken's The Cape has outdoor tables in the Bull Ring. Nice weather, sit outside & watch the world go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I intend to be in Wexford for two nights.

Are these two pubs still open?

I like old-style pubs.

As far as I can recall, I was in Heffernan's a few years ago, at leats I was in some old-style basic pub on a corner.

I welcome any advice.

I can't see Jim Laffan's on Google Maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Laffans long gone .

Thanks.

I welcome any advice on pubs.

I like pubs like Jordan's on the Quay in Waterford, that sort of place.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭CWMMC

Laffans is now the mocking monck. Heffernans is also gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭kksaints

Wonder where the regulars from Heffernans went? Had multiple warnings from different local people to not drink there under any circumstances when I was living in the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Agettle

The Antique Tavern for everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Remember Laffans - one of the places we could get a pint when we were 15 or so back in the early 80s.

When did Heffernan's close?

Heffernans was a grand pub had a bad reputation but you would have been safer in Heffernans than some places in the Quay going up to Mock Street. It a shame to see it closed it has been there since the 1890s and its very important historic pub.

Not actually sure where everyone went from there but think a few went to Gaynors/Caseys now. But it was mainly travelers that drank in there for certain occasions they kept him going.

Ah I'd say it closed about 6 months or that now if not longer, it didn't really get going again after covid and seemed to be struggling for a while.

Honestly, I've never had any problems with Heffernans or drinking in there, the first time I ever went in there I asked for a Large bottle of bulmers and a pint of ice, and the barman goes give me one minute.. he ran across the road to uncle sams to get ice for my pint... Town has gotten rougher and more attacks happening but thats everywhere now not just Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Anyone remember the Wave Crest ?

Wavecrest was a gem a fantastic spot catering for everyone untill it was sold, gutted and turned into a club.

That was the problem with Wexford people taking great little pubs where everyone was welcomed and turning them into trendy bars/clubs that only lasted a short while.

What is Mary's Bar like on John's Gate street?

What about the John Barry on Paul Quay?

They are both tiny on the inside. If i had to pick one between the two I'd go with the John Barry. Marys bar is literally a sitting room and ran by an old lady, it can have questionable people sometimes but normally it's a grand spot. The john barry again would be like a sitting room, think theres maybe 8 tables in the place but they would have trad music and everything. Only issue is it seems to open and close whenever it feels like it.

I went to Mary's on Fri night.

Maybe six people in the front singing along to a guitar.

Two younger people out the back who turned out to be opera singers. They both sang in the pub.

I noted pint bottles of Macardles, which I'm told are rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

I was only drinking on the tail end of the old Thomas Moore but it was a beautiful pub, as was the old Crown in parts.

I would say John Barry, Marys Bar, Pike are your old school smaller pubs with the Pike the most modern of them

• Advertisement

Macardles as far as I'm aware would be in most pubs in Wexford from what I have seen, normally on the shelf or in the cooler depending on which you prefer.

I've never drank in Thomas Moore as I couldn't imagine it as a drinkers pub like due to the style and decor of it. Would there be many locals in there?

Advertisement