Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Pubs in Wexford Town

Options
  • 29-06-2015 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I'm meeting an American cousin in Wexford this week and driving him back to Limerick but he wants a few pints first in Wexford in old style pubs. Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The Sky & the Ground South Main Street has character (for tourists) as does The Centenary Stores, and for the real experience try The Cape Bar at the Bullring.

My old pal JD recommends this one.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73225212&postcount=23

Just north of Enniscorthy and worth the drive but it only opens evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

Some good suggestions there, thanks! Whats "T Morris" like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Who's gonna be 1st to say Heffernans? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Some good suggestions there, thanks! Whats "T Morris" like?

T Morris looks like and old pub with snugs and wooden seating areas but the clientele would not be the type you'd find in an old mans' pub. I'd also say the Undertakers (aka The Cape) in the Bull Ring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

The Thomas Moore is Wexford's oldest pub I believe but has been renovated in recent years and while still keeping some of that charm, has certainly been modernised. Still has pictures of Thomas Moore etc. on the walls and I would suggest seeing it, if just for the history behind it.

If it is a more "old school" feel to the decor you want however, I would try Sky & The Ground, Bugler Doyles, Wicked Swan and most certainly The Undertaker / Mackens (which is beside the Thomas Moore)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Corvo wrote: »
    The Thomas Moore is Wexford's oldest pub I believe but has been renovated in recent years and while still keeping some of that charm, has certainly been modernised. Still has pictures of Thomas Moore etc. on the walls and I would suggest seeing it, if just for the history behind it.

If it is a more "old school" feel to the decor you want however, I would try Sky & The Ground, Bugler Doyles, Wicked Swan and most certainly The Undertaker / Mackens (which is beside the Thomas Moore)

Thomas Moore isn't the oldest they like to say it is but it ain't The Cape Mackens is, The Crown probably comes in second

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Simon's Place is a very nice spot too, the staff are fantastic and they brew their own range of beers on-site. I would normally go to both Sky and the Ground and Simon's Place if I was going out for a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Is T. Morris still open? I love that pub

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭johnmolloy554

We actually ended up in T Morris which ticked all the boxes for us. Very nice pub and a lovely beer garden. Thanks for all the very good suggestions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Thomas Moore isn't the oldest they like to say it is but it ain't The Cape Mackens is, The Crown probably comes in second
    Thomas Moore is one of the best pubs in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

That aint true, compare it to old thomas moore and its not a patch on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Much prefer the old Thomas Moore. Had more character. Small rooms upstairs were nice.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Much prefer the old Thomas Moore. Had more character. Small rooms upstairs were nice.

And the fireplace. Aahh, not many, if any, pubs in Wexford town with an open fire these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

McLoughlin wrote: »

The Crown has been closed at least 6 months!

Having been bought by Nevilles gutted and revamped, it re-opens tonight.

Crown doing food from next Tuesday I hear.

Opens this evening about now in fact !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Just had a chat with a mate who was in the Crown last night. He's says it's lovely, bigger than it was and with a massive beer garden out the back.

He had a photo of the urinals in the gents - cut out old beer barrels, looks good.

Says something about his priorities that the only photo he took of the place was the jacks!

The 'new' Crown sounds awful, you would want to have been in it in the 1970s to see a real pub as opposed to a watering hole. :(

From a previous life.

In Wexford - well God help us I am amused that so many still like 'The Crown' - I first set foot in in 1976 when still at school. The full extent of it was the front bar -still there I think - where you could put you back against the wall and feet against the counter it was that big. Once you you got friendly with the owner Aidan Kelly (?) you might be invited to visit the back bar and sign the visitors book and view his collection of guns and relics from 1916. The toilets were outside across a yard and I seem to remember wild flowers growing down the unrinals and that there was some UK tabloid newspaper cut up for loo paper - to stop campers like yours truly from stealing it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

Del.Monte wrote: »
    The 'new' Crown sounds awful, you would want to have been in it in the 1970s to see a real pub as opposed to a watering hole. :(

From a previous life.

In Wexford - well God help us I am amused that so many still like 'The Crown' - I first set foot in in 1976 when still at school. The full extent of it was the front bar -still there I think - where you could put you back against the wall and feet against the counter it was that big. Once you you got friendly with the owner Aidan Kelly (?) you might be invited to visit the back bar and sign the visitors book and view his collection of guns and relics from 1916. The toilets were outside across a yard and I seem to remember wild flowers growing down the unrinals and that there was some UK tabloid newspaper cut up for loo paper - to stop campers like yours truly from stealing it!!

That sounds horrific.

Zhane wrote: »
    That sounds horrific.

Nothing horrific about it; it was a traditional pub and the owners were salt of the earth types who couldn't do enough for their customers. I have been back once or twice since and I found it a soulless sort of place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 tonylamb

Does anyone remember a pub called Tom Beakeys in WExford town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

tonylamb wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a pub called Tom Beakeys in WExford town

tommy beakys
    it used to be on the corner where '' the pike'' [think thats what its called] is.
    the south end of barrack street on the corner of what we always called bunkers hill . i was reared [dragged up] about 50 yrds from it. jaysus that's going back

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bandage

Mary's Bar near The Thomas Moore Tavern is the definitive old man's bar in Wexford town.

I'm coming to Wexford early may my surname is Lambert my dad was born in Whitemill can anyone  suggest a good b/b to stay also I want to frequent every pub and see where my dad was born my cousin was Christy O Neil in Maudlintown  I remember  going in Paddy Purcells with him Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

tonylamb wrote: »
    I'm coming to Wexford early may my surname is Lambert my dad was born in Whitemill can anyone  suggest a good b/b to stay also I want to frequent every pub and see where my dad was born my cousin was Christy O Neil in Maudlintown  I remember  going in Paddy Purcells with him Thanks for any help.[/QUOTE

Visit Lambers pub so, great spot and their yellow belly beer is magnificent

Bugler Doyles pub has a B&B upstairs. Plenty of pubs around there to sample.

There is Simon Lamberts pub, might be some relation ((Not sure if any of the family work there)

Thank's for your reply, my other cousin Monica Lydon ( Hayes ) used to live by the Talbot We used to think it was really posh worth staying there is there still O Learys in the main street.

There is an O'Leary Travel Agents, poor service if you're looking for a pint there :P

Don't take the p%ss  I asked a question  that's all .

• Advertisement

only joking, relax.

Advertisement