Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside Out (Pixar)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

i'd give it a 5/10 on the entertainment front, 8/10 on the artistic one.
    FunLover18 wrote: »
    I always rate a movie out ten; five marks go for entertainment which is completely bias towards my own interests and five for the film on its own merits from a more objective POV.
    I really don't get how people can compartmentalize their movie watching this way. You're only part rating it based on an honest subjective response and then forcing in some "objective" criteria that doesn't actually work. There's isn't some formula for a film to be a more successful artistically, it largely comes down to so many different factors and contexts (often from the view of the person watching).

"Entertainment" is often a pretty reductive term for what can be so amazing about a film too. That word to me means little more than "Weeelll it held my attention for 2 hours I guess.". Especially since so many of the best movies don't really go out of your way to accommodate or pander to the viewer. I mean I've had films that tested my patience that I ended up thinking about and coming to love hours, days, weeks after. I think for instance consitutionous would have appreciated Inside Out more had they not gone into it as light entertainment and then sort of dismissed it for not reaching that low bar. You have to give a film the benefit of the doubt to work on its own terms even if that means not sugarcoating some of the more serious and challenging aspects.

I for one love how instead of
    offering an escape to Riley's increasing emotional distance with the more fantastical stuff the film instead chose to back it up. A less bold and confident team of animators would have just treated that stuff as happy fun time.

Also I've never understood how lack of broad appeal can be used against a film unless you're some money grabbing executive. It's maybe the one objectively wrong aspect you said here because the film has shown to be a huge success with audiences, even garnering an A cinemascore, 8.7 rating on IMDB and very good word of mouth. I think it's a great thing that movies as thematically focused and imaginative as Inside Out and Mad Max Fury Road are barnstorming the box office this Summer. Cancels out the low signal to noise ratio of something like Jurassic World anyway. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,334 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I think, ultimately, because of childhood and so on my heart will always belong to Toy Story as being reflective of Pixar's best work. There's great affection here for a child's imagination and the general mish mash of growing up - including the crushing isolation of an awful first day in a new school. Parents will recognise some of the challenges of dealing kids and the secondary characters are good fun. There's nary a whiff of studio interference about it and there's enough going on that it's not just a bunch of characters stuck at the controls. Sadness was my favourite and the Triple Dent Gum gag was great.

Eh, broccoli pizza?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Went into this blind and glad I didn't know, nor recognize, Joy's voice was that of Amy Poehler, as I can't stand her.

I thoroughly enjoyed this though. Haven't enjoyed an animated film as much since TS3. Seen it at a late night screening, so all adults and you could just sense that everyone was immersed and engrossed in it.

The Wizard of Oz meets Innerspace. Brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Just watched this and I thought it was an incredibly well done and poignant film. Pixar just seem to be able to play to the heart without ever being mawkish or soppy. Very subversive and done with great great knowledge of how to blend humour with the darker aspects of the human condition. As others have said here, it dealt with its issues in a way that didn't belabour or condescend and mixed in excellent set pieces and a couple of clever, out there ideas.

Two throwaway moments I loved: "there's no bears in San Francisco!" "Well, I saw a hairy guy who kinda looked like a bear..."

And the cat part of the end credits - absolutely hilarious and had me in stitches. Oh, and the kid at the hockey rink "GIRL! GIRL! GIRL!"

Well deserving of its rating on IMDB, it may even be a little bit conservative.

So does it rip off the few good ideas from Osmosis Jones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭PressRun

Saw this for the first time recently. While Ratatouille remains my all-time favourite Pixar film, this is very much up there for me as among their best work. An original and weighty concept beautifully realized and handled with sensitivity and humour. It really cut right to the heart of the little difficulties of growing up that never seem so 'little' at the time. Having been a kid who was uprooted at a young age myself, Riley's first say at her new school, in particular, hit my emotions pretty hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Didn't like it, didn't like Riley, didn't like her parents, not a patch on wall-e, 2/5*.

PS - I will probably watch it again in a few months and realize I have failed to 'get it' just like I did with Taxi Driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Wahrheit

Brilliant Movie, the ending was beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Al_Coholic

enjoyed this movie a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭blue note

Just watched this on Sunday night. Wow, what a brilliant film! I'm just glad I watched it on my own. Would have been so embarrassing if someone had been with me! Can't remember the last film I cried at before this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Finally caught this today and thought it was brilliant. Doesn't surpass TS3 as my favourite Pixar film but definitely up there. Found myself emotionally engrossed in many scenes in it, particularly the inner workings of a child's mind aspect (poor ould bing bong "sacrificing himself for Riley had me in bits).

Visually beautiful as is par for the course for a Pixar film.

Advertisement