Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inside Out (Pixar)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I absolutely loved this film!! I mean, just wow! I won't go into too much detail because I think the less you know the better (
    I had no idea that Bing-Bong was going to show up and his arc nearly ruined me
    ), but also because I really would struggle to describe how brilliantly the film does what it sets outs to do. If you've seen it, you'll know what I mean and if you haven't the I cannot recommend it highly enough.

What I love about Pixar is that they don't fit into the confinements of genre, their films aren't comedies or dramas or kids films, in the same way that life doesn't fit into a genre and Inside Out is the film that captures that best.

On a side noteI loved the gag at the end of the film when
    we get a glimpse inside the mind of a boy Riley has bumps into
    that was hilarious. I know some people don't seem to like the idea of Pixar doing sequels etc but the world inside Riley's mind (the world of the mind in general) that they have created is one that I would love to see explored further provided that the story was right. This is far away my favourite Pixar film to date.

"Take her to the moon for me, Joy" Ruined me I tell ya, RUINED ME!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I loved this, there were so many parts where I just turned to my OH and said "that's so clever".

With regard to
    Take her to the moon, Joy, I never found the end of Toy Story 3 emotional, but this came out of left field, disregarding the obvious way he was dissapearing it was the music, voice acting and delivery of the line itself. I read on IMDB, the actor himself cried when delivering it.
    Just magic.

The few closing credit scenes were great as well.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Glad to see so many other people lava'd the movie as much as I did.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Glad to see so many other people lava'd the movie as much as I did.

See what you did there. I actually found that short to be one of the weakest Pixar shorts, thankfully the feature made up for it in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Agreed on Lava, I thought it was absolutely horrendous.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I've had the bloody tune stuck in my head since I made this thread though :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I was really underwhelmed by this. Definitely not up there with some of their classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I really hope this is how my memories and emotions actually work. I think it's my favourite of the Pixar movies and that's saying a lot. I hope they do a sequel and have the focus more on Anger and Disgust - they were my favourites, but then again they're probably the two emotions I experience most, so I'm probably biased...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Sadness was my favorite. Credit to the animators and Phyllis Smith for making a character who could have been a real drag so lovable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is there a studio out there more adept at distilling the range and adventure of human experience into such a pure and satisfying form of entertainment? Managing to yet again explore the tumultuous period of our childhoods with equal parts poignancy, brutal honesty, tenderness and humour. It's like they just 'get' people, and how our minds work, in a way that other animation studios still clutch desperately at.

My infatuation for the work Amy Poehler also continues unabated; sure, Joy wasn't necessarily a hero character, but Poehler was such the right person for the job, channeling her Leslie Knope into an embodiment of happiness and optimism, with just the smallest cracks of self-doubt. Much like ourselves really (one of the many, many little subtleties and layers I adored was how the inner thoughts of adults never had Joy in charge: the wife had Sadness at the wheel, with Anger leading the male head. I thought it suggested so much more about the dynamics of the relationship than an overt line of dialogue might have done - perfect).

I wonder how this film will go down in mental health circles, because on the face of it it seemed like it contained a very useful, helpful message: that it's OK to feel sad. It's not a fault, a weakness or a deficiency to feel terrible, and we shouldn't shun those emotions we don't like.

A movie that genuinely left me wanting more, with a huge scope for sequels that wouldn't dilute the message and vibe of the original - I think Pixar have created themselves another Toy Story.

Edit: my only quibble was the short, 'Lava', I thought it was tedious and pretty terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Damn Pixar do it again and make this guy have a quick sniffle :P. A great film, after a few so-so runs, Pixar is back on track with possible one of the best things they ever done. I loved Phyllis Smith's Sadness, also Richard Kind's Bing Bong
    Take her to the Moon for me Joy
    even had me weeping. Amy Poehler's Joy was great, plus a film that uses Agent Cooper's voice gets a thumbs up from me. The film didn't outstay it's welcome and will be fighting with Mad Max Fury Road and Whiplash for my film of the year so far. Did anyone else love the short film before the film called Lava?

That's two classic animated films I've seen in a week, Song of the Sea and Inside Out. animated films are having a great purple patch this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Watched it with my wife and kids today, my youngest kept giving me hugs because he could see me blubbling. Brilliant film.

Edit: agree with pixelburp about Lava, not a trace of humour in it, nice to look at but very empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Gal44

What age would you think is best for seeing this? is 4 and a half too young...? cheers

Gal44 wrote: »
    What age would you think is best for seeing this? is 4 and a half too young...?
    I think so, the only distraction in my screening was a 3 or 4 year old asking to go home every few minutes.

I'd say ideally it's for parents going along with older children (ages 9 and up).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm having trouble articulating what I thought of this film so I'm going to borrow from other comments in the thread: clever, subversive, poignant, and downright funny. Pixar have created another masterpiece. The intricate way the film weaves complex phenomena into the narrative makes me certain that it will be one to rewatch and find new things to appreciate again and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder how this film will go down in mental health circles, because on the face of it it seemed like it contained a very useful, helpful message: that it's OK to feel sad. It's not a fault, a weakness or a deficiency to feel terrible, and we shouldn't shun those emotions we don't like.
    I read an article last night about how much the mental health profession is loving it. They've even started using action figures of the characters to help non-verbal children express their emotions!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

The worst pixar movie to date, awfull stuff altogether 3/10

shamrock55 wrote: »
    How? Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Worse than Cars 2? Find it hard to believe anyone would rate Inside Out lower than Cars feffin 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In a world where Cars and Cars 2 exist, I find that exceedingly hard to believe. C'mon, add some thoughts to that dismissal so a decent conversation can least be had. 'Worst evar' is no fun.

• Advertisement

I think this film is superior to even Wall-E and Up which are great but pretty top-heavy films all the same. The boldness and emotion of the first half hour of those movies is sustained throughout this one in a really rewarding way.

Inside Out and Toy Story 3 are top Pixar for me.

5. Up
    4. Wall-E
    3. Ratatouille
    2. Toy Story 3
    1. Inside Out

All utterly fantastic movies.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I read an article last night about how much the mental health profession is loving it. They've even started using action figures of the characters to help non-verbal children express their emotions!

Wow, that's a pretty inspired idea, I hope it works out really well and starts some sensible conversations about mental health. God knows there's a problem in this country with people shying away from serious talk about emotions, depression etc., I can't imagine it's any better Stateside. I love how films like Inside Out can go some way in demonstrating the true power of film is more than just pretty pictures or simple entertainment; that there is a value beyond mere bells & whistles.

I can't imagine the amount of parents and kids who have been just a little more honest and empathetic with each other on account of this movie. I love how a big family movie like this encourages thoughtful conversation, neither talking down to the kids in the audience or pandering to the adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I saw it again yesterday, and it works even better. I love it, and its so rare (feels so rare) a kids movie has such a great message and articulates it in such a way that isn't a dumbed down message.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

pixelburp wrote: »
    In a world where Cars and Cars 2 exist, I find that exceedingly hard to believe. C'mon, add some thoughts to that dismissal so a decent conversation can least be had. 'Worst evar' is no fun.

Tbh i didnt like the whole idea of it with the different emotions, i didnt find it fun,i thought it was boreing actually and a bit drawn out, i didnt think any of the characters stood out either,i couldnt wait for it to finish tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Tbh i didnt like the whole idea of it with the different emotions, i didnt find it fun,i thought it was boreing actually and a bit drawn out, i didnt think any of the characters stood out either,i couldnt wait for it to finish tbh
    I found it boring too. I was really surprised to come out and see the universal praise it's getting. But then life would be dull if we all liked the same things :)

I still have Wall E as my favourite Pixar. Due a rewatch I think

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

I took my 2 kids to see this today. I loved it. I laughed and cried. I thought it was genius really. Those clever people at Pixar have done yet another amazing piece of work here

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

have to admit to being a bit thrown by this too.

its NOT the comedy that its being touted at by the reviewers. in fact its incredibly dark in places.

i enjoyed it dont get me wrong, and im damn glad stuff like this is being made as by god they took a risk doing something genuinely different. its just its not something i can see doing as well as stuff like the incredibles or even cars as i dont think it has that broader appeal.

TBH the closest it got to stuff like that was at the end when they zipped into the other characters heads to see what they were thinking (my fav is the lad she gave the water flask back to at the hockey rink :)

i'd give it a 5/10 on the entertainment front, 8/10 on the artistic one.

thought the "lava" short that was on before it was a bit naff too but at least thats just a freebie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The whole idea of 'entertainment value' baffles me a bit I have to admit. It's such an abstract thought concept, and intangible. Some films are difficult, matter of fact they need to be difficult. Just because they don't offer a light night's entertainment should not be a black mark against it.

But in particular can't really understand it in the context of Inside Out. Like all great Pixar films it marries its more thematically challenging and surprising material with totally accessible delivery. It's something only they have proven themselves so capable of. Inside Out may deal with unusually weighty and emotionally raw material for a family film at times, but it does so in a universal, sympathetic and easily digestible way. Not to mention it's near endless stream of humour, visual flights of fancy, imaginative set pieces, breezy pace and colourful characters. If anything I'd suggest it was too keen at times to not lose anyone, with some of the concessions to wackiness potentially undermining some of its more provocative concepts (have always said I'd love to see a Pixar film in line with Ghibli's more adult-orientated works like Princess Mononoke, even though I know the studio has basically totally discounted that possibility). But mostly Pixar has a gift of making films that are wildly 'entertaining' without surrendering the artistry.

• Advertisement

i enjoyed it dont get me wrong, and im damn glad stuff like this is being made as by god they took a risk doing something genuinely different. its just its not something i can see doing as well as stuff like the incredibles or even cars as i dont think it has that broader appeal.

I think it broke the record for opening weekend of an original film. Dunno how it's done since.
    The whole idea of 'entertainment value' baffles me a bit I have to admit. It's such an abstract thought concept, and intangible. Some films are difficult, matter of fact they need to be difficult. Just because they don't offer a light night's entertainment should not be a black mark against it.

Can't speak for others but for me the entertainment value is more my own personal feelings. I always rate a movie out ten; five marks go for entertainment which is completely bias towards my own interests and five for the film on its own merits from a more objective POV. So Inside Out is a 10/10 for me but something like There Will Be Blood would get a 7/10 from me because although I really appreciated it for what it was I didn't particularly enjoy it and I wouldn't be in any hurry to revisit it. But it's not because I only want a late night's entertainment, it's just that TWBB didn't particularly do anything for me.

Advertisement