Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hipsters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Whatever happened to diversity? When did people decide to become clones? I'm sick of seeing young fellas in tight jeans, NHS type glasses, with stupid beards and even more stupid hair. So many young girls don't even seem to bother making any effort any more and more or less live in unisex hoodies and tracksuit bottoms.:confused: I'm not saying girls should cake themselves in make up or spend a fortune on clothes, just make a bit of an effort with their appearance. Leisure clothes just looks slovenly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

If I see another Hitler youth or side part haircut ...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Are hipsters and millenials the one and the same?

Where is overrun with hipsters? Seems like Stoneybatter is a bit hipster haven.
    Should we carry out a cull of hipsters?

Anyone here an out and proud hipster? Do you farm chickens in your urban backyard, cycle a fixed gear bicycle and have an old-fashioned mechanical typewriter? Do you deliberately NOT own a TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Maybe I just don't pay attention to people that much but I've seen very few hipsters here. In fact, I hear them being talked about more often than I see them!

As an earlier reply indicated, the term 'hipster' is thrown around all the time in Ireland to describe anyone who dresses or expresses interests somewhat outside of what their peers expect. Which is quite sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Are hipsters and millenials the one and the same?

Where is overrun with hipsters? Seems like Stoneybatter is a bit hipster haven.
    Should we carry out a cull of hipsters?

Anyone here an out and proud hipster? Do you farm chickens in your urban backyard, cycle a fixed gear bicycle and have an old-fashioned mechanical typewriter? Do you deliberately NOT own a TV?
    Holy crap it's 2016. Not 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I don't really get the lambasting so-called "hipsters" for all looking the same when the vast majority of men wear similar clothes anyway.

The few people I know who wear completely off the wall clothing get slagged off for being "attention seeking" anyway. I think you have to be pretty insecure to give half a ****e what other people wear anyway to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Hipster bashing used to be cool...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I know it's inaccurate but for me, the classification usually puts me in mind of a certain type of person of my (mid-30s onwards) generation: still clinging to a certain po-faced subcultural/politcal affectation that befits younger people while still being ineluctably middle-class, status-aware and avid consumers.

I try not to apply it to people in their teens to late 20s because it's entirely the natural way of things that they should have daft hair, clothes and personal politics, and that I should be midly irritated/amused by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Please people. PLEASE! Some of us cant help it. It just happens to some of us over time. We can't help it. I just started by growing a beard. I just did it because it was the first time I could properly in 22 years. I don't groom it I swear! The pipe smoking.... that just happened, you've got to believe me! I'VE NEVER VAPED!!!!! O god.... finally, the trilby style hat...... I JUST LIKED THE STYLE, I SWEAR I WASN'T TRYING TO BE DIFFERENT.... "Sobs onto keyboard wishing this was trolling"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

The whole idea of a hipster sitting in a Starbucks on a MacBook wearing clothes from some high street store is the complete opposite of what the modern incarnation of a hipster (from mid/late 90's) is supposed to represent, which was a reaction against capitalism.

Close call for capitalism. It must have been quaking in its boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

they are trying their best to be different but they all look the same

To be fair this is happening through all the generations. When young we were trying to be very different but we still want to be part of a group. Even punks adhered to some kind of dress code.

On another web forum someone posted that hipsters have always been around - arty, creative types that moved into run down urban areas and gradually improved them by opening businesses and living there. Temple Bar was touted as an example of this...:rolleyes::

But I do think the cloned hipster look and so-called "alternative" lifestyle screams "pretentious gits.":D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Jack Kerouac's Beatniks were the original, and only, "hipsters" maaan - in his words, "beat, meaning down and out but full of intense conviction" ... "solitary Bartlebies staring out the dead wall window of our civilization". What we saw in the '00s, and which still lingers wherever stupidly expensive craft beer is to be had, is this:

Are there any AHers who openly admit to being card carrying hipsters?

Now now...don't be shy!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You'd be hard pressed to find any self-proclaimed hipsters anywhere.

The way it works: I might like some craft beers, listen to synth revivalist acts, have some tattoos, with elaborate facial hair and wear glases of high size, but low prescription - but I'm not a hipster... It's the other guys that are the hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

How did the hipster die?

He fell into the main stream

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Hipsters have always been around, we just didn't have a suitable name to christen them with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Hipsters have always been around, we just didn't have a suitable name to christen them with.

Didn't we used to call them t*ats?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Come to think of it yeah, I think that is the term we used to describe them.

I think that the original Vice magazine team of Gavin McInnes, Shane Smith and Suroosh Alvi are largely responsible for this current incarnation of the hipster. Vice dictated what was cool and what wasn't cool. Those lads have a lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Stoogie

Day Lewin wrote: »
    I'm a hippy and proud of it. I remember the Seventies.

Intend to die in a hippy way and be buried in a cardboard coffin. Under ferns.

Like my cats ?

• Advertisement

Stoogie wrote: »
    Like my cats ?

I want to be buried under Fearne as well - to the butt! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

jimgoose wrote: »
    I want to be buried under Fearne as well - to the butt! :D

Don't you mean *in?

fizzypish wrote: »
    Don't you mean *in?

No, I mean "buried to the butt, under Fearne". The "in" is implicit. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,888 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I like certain things that could be defined as hipster-ish.

Can't physically cultivate a beard and even if I could, wouldn't want to. Too much maintenance to be bothered with.

Would never wear skinny jeans as I would look quite ridiculous in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Boojum in the Millennium Walkway is a hipster mecca. Go in there in the evening and everyone is sort of dresses like school teachers from the 70's. Thick rimmed glasses, beards, cords, tweed sports jackets with patches on the arm, hats. It's weird.
    It's strange that people are still going on about hipsters in 2015. Hipster culture really died out towards the end of the 00's when it got consumed by pop culture and became distorted. The whole idea of a hipster sitting in a Starbucks on a MacBook wearing clothes from some high street store is the complete opposite of what the modern incarnation of a hipster (from mid/late 90's) is supposed to represent, which was a reaction against capitalism.
    High end clothes isn't a hipster thing. The MacBook is expensive alright, but it can be a really old one. As long as people can see the apple logo, that's all that matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Hipsters are a rich man's bohemian.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

"Used to" ???

Look at you all mature lolol!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Cienciano wrote: »
    Boojum in the Millennium Walkway is a hipster mecca. Go in there in the evening and everyone is sort of dresses like school teachers from the 70's. Thick rimmed glasses, beards, cords, tweed sports jackets with patches on the arm, hats. It's weird.

High end clothes isn't a hipster thing. The MacBook is expensive alright, but it can be a really old one. As long as people can see the apple logo, that's all that matters.

Eh, beard, glasses and cord jacket. Were you in there Tuesday last at about 17:20? Because that was me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Draugan

Im no fan of the hipsters but credit where its due , they've made pulled pork , decent craft bears and a nice G&T mainstream , i tip my hat to them for that.

But shoes with out socks and super skinny jeans on men , ah lads sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Aye, although I'd make an exception in relation to Dublin - it is pretty hipster central around Grafton/Dame Street from what I observe.

A lot of the time people just use the term in relation to people whose tastes they don't share - for a while I wasn't sure it was a real thing, but it is all right I think. The Simpsons episode The Day The Earth Stood Cool actually nails it, which is strange for a recent Simpsons episode.

The thing of being into retro tat ironically and so on was around long before 2010/11 when it seemed all the talk of hipsters was just starting (yes I'm aware of the hipstery-ness of that statement).
    I've been ruminating on where would be best place to go on a murderous rampage with my home-made flame thrower.
    Grafton/Dame Street it is.

Look out for me on the news :D

Advertisement