Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hipsters

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'm not all that busy at the minute, but still there's no way I'm watching ten minutes of whatever that is. What's it about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Have you looked around NUIG/UCD/UCC. Ireland is infested with hipsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,254 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Irish hipsters are a copy of a copy of a copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I thought of posting this before it was cool

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I'm not all that busy at the minute, but still there's no way I'm watching ten minutes of whatever that is. What's it about?

Clown makes sex potion...literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Have you looked around NUIG/UCD/UCC. Ireland is infested with hipsters.

Pretty much any University/College town.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

they are trying their best to be different but they all look the same

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

Maybe I just don't pay attention to people that much but I've seen very few hipsters here. In fact, I hear them being talked about more often than I see them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Who cares?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

kneemos wrote: »
    Clown makes sex potion...literally.
    Is he a circus performer or is it made from love juice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

That has to be satirical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Why defines a hipster?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

So long as they're serving good coffee and good beer, which they seem only too happy to do, I'm happy for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sirius A wrote: »
    Maybe I just don't pay attention to people that much but I've seen very few hipsters here. In fact, I hear them being talked about more often than I see them!

turn on your tv open a magazine same boring bearded faces everywhere

Is he a circus performer or is it made from love juice?

Freelance clown by the look of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,699 ✭✭✭buried

Send them all over to fight islamic state. The Battle of the Bearded Flat caps

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Mr.Goodman

Being a hipster is too mainstream.

Mr.Goodman wrote: »
    Being a hipster is too mainstream.

I'm a Teddy Boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Sirius A wrote: »
    Aye, although I'd make an exception in relation to Dublin - it is pretty hipster central around Grafton/Dame Street from what I observe.

A lot of the time people just use the term in relation to people whose tastes they don't share - for a while I wasn't sure it was a real thing, but it is all right I think. The Simpsons episode The Day The Earth Stood Cool actually nails it, which is strange for a recent Simpsons episode.

The thing of being into retro tat ironically and so on was around long before 2010/11 when it seemed all the talk of hipsters was just starting (yes I'm aware of the hipstery-ness of that statement).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

• Advertisement

Aye, although I'd make an exception in relation to Dublin - it is pretty hipster central around Grafton/Dame Street from what I observe.

A lot of the time people just use the term in relation to people whose tastes they don't share - for a while I wasn't sure it was a real thing, but it is all right I think. The Simpsons episode The Day The Earth Stood Cool actually nails it, which is strange for a recent Simpsons episode.

The thing of being into retro tat ironically and so on was around long before 2010/11 when it seemed all the talk of hipsters was just starting (yes I'm aware of the hipstery-ness of that statement).

The reason that episode nailed it was they had Carrie Brownstein and Fred Armisen from 'Portlandia' as guests, the show which gently skewers hipsterism and is highly recommended by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Galway is full of em

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Galway is full of em

Can anything be done about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Joey Jo-Jo Junior

turn on your tv open a magazine same boring bearded faces everywhere

Surely it takes more than that to be classed as a hipster?

Thanks, I haven't seen it but I'll have a look at it later. It better not be like the rest of season 20-24! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

I actually spent a few months in Williamsburg and to be honest, a lot of the 'hipsters' over there are much less up their own holes than their Irish counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm a hippy and proud of it. I remember the Seventies.

Intend to die in a hippy way and be buried in a cardboard coffin. Under ferns.

katemarch wrote: »
    I'm a hippy and proud of it. I remember the Seventies.

Intend to die in a hippy way and be buried in a cardboard coffin. Under ferns.

Yeah, completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I was in Vermont recently, it's pretty much the hipster capital of the world. I half expected to see a few Penny Farthing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

It's strange that people are still going on about hipsters in 2015. Hipster culture really died out towards the end of the 00's when it got consumed by pop culture and became distorted. The whole idea of a hipster sitting in a Starbucks on a MacBook wearing clothes from some high street store is the complete opposite of what the modern incarnation of a hipster (from mid/late 90's) is supposed to represent, which was a reaction against capitalism.

Advertisement