Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking: Terror attack on French gas factory, several casualties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Just how on earth do fellas actually get it into their heads that this would be a good idea. Like, have they nothing better to be doing with their time or have any ambition in life that they just piss themselves away on this sort of Jihadi jibberish and commit such terrible crimes. Darwin award for them.

The leaders of these groups are smart. They pick the dregs of society that have no hope or future and give them something to believe in, however misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

One of the attackers chopped the other attackers head off? Can't be right.

ah info is sketchy at the moment. we ll see what the story is in time. does sound a bit odd alright but there seems to have been an explosion. human bodies and explosions generally dont end well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Absolutely but they are doing it in the name of Islam, i.e. twisting things to try justify their own goals. They don't represent the Muslim community and Muslims need to condemn these terrorists.

You can draw similar comparisons to the IRA here after Enniskillen and Omagh where we as a community stood up and said that we had enough of the killing and that we didn't want this done in our name. That was the beginning of the end for the IRA.

I agree but this is doing something just for the notoriety not for your beliefs. Im sure there is some that are religious fanatics but i think the way these dogs are going its purely about causing carnage and terrifying the world.

It's all a bit confusing. Don't think the head belongs to the terrorist and officials at the plant don't think it's anyone that works there, so it seems they decapitated someone and brought the head with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I truly feel sorry for the Muslim community. These terrorists don't even represent Muslims and are using their religion to try and justify their own goals.

It wasn't too long ago that if a person with an Irish accent, stepped off a London bus or train and accidentally left a bag behind. Mass panic and evacuations ensued, simple because of their accent/nationality. I lived through that and witnessed it. So us Irish should be acutely aware than most of the complete stupidity and prejudicial bigotry, behind making sweeping generalisations and tarring all with the same brush.

• Advertisement

It's all a bit confusing. Don't think the head belongs to the terrorist and officials at the plant don't think it's anyone that works there, so it seems they decapitated someone and brought the head with them.

jasus, how low will these guys go

Posting a summary from Reddit -

I'm watching French TV news channel BFM TV (live here), here's what they are saying (editing live):

• Around 10am local time, a car carrying two people brandishing two Islamist flags (one black, one white) drove through the front gate of a plant located in a large logistic zone with no houses around (Google Maps).

• The car crashed into gas tanks and there was an explosion followed by a fire. The car isn't completely destroyed so the explosion was probably not very big.

• The car driver exited the car and tried to open oxygen tanks but was stopped by firemen then taken into custody by police. He's not talking to police and does not have ID on him.

• The plant was covered by the Seveso II Directive (a European law imposing safety rules for sites handling dangerous substances), meaning it was recognized as a sensitive site and as such must have had somewhat heightened security. According to workers are nearby companies, the area was mostly quiet.

• 1 dead (the decapitated head), 2 injured (most likely those in the car).

• A decapitated head was found near the entrance of the plant and had Arabic writing scrawled across it. Some journalists were able to get really close to it but have been asked not to shoot video. The decapitated head does not appear to be an employee from the plant.

• French Minister of the Interior Bernard Cazeneuve just arrived on site (12pm local time).

• French president François Hollande was in Brussels in a meeting with German chancellor Angela Merkel and Greek prime minister Alexis Tsipras regarding the economic crisis in Greece when he learned the news. He is rushing back to France.

It wasn't too long ago that if a person with an Irish accent, stepped off a London bus or train and accidentally left a bag behind. Mass panic and evacuations ensued, simple because of their accent/nationality. I lived through that and witnessed it. So us Irish should be acutely aware than most of the completely stupidity and prejudicial bigotry, behind making sweeping generalisations and tarring all with the same brush.

Absolutely but the thing is most Irish people don't know any / many Muslims so we only have news reports to form an opinion from. Unfortunately bad news sells so general opinion is that Muslim = extremist which couldn't be further from the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

It wasn't too long ago that if a person with an Irish accent, stepped off a London bus or train and accidentally left a bag behind. Mass panic and evacuations ensued, simple because of their accent/nationality. I lived through that and witnessed it. So us Irish should be acutely aware than most of the completely stupidity and prejudicial bigotry, behind making sweeping generalisations and tarring all with the same brush.

I lived in the UK during that time also and experienced similar. It makes the tarring of all Muslims with the same brush now by Irish people all the more laughable. These apes want us to turn on each other ffs let's not give them the satisfaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Worst terrorists ever if the only ones they managed to injure in the attack were themselves!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

We all know who to blame here...... the bears!

RIP to the person who died.

Absolutely but the thing is most Irish people don't know any / many Muslims so we only have news reports to form an opinion from. Unfortunately bad news sells so general opinion is that Muslim = extremist which couldn't be further from the truth.

ive met some muslims in my time. all normal people to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

If it turns out the attack failed and all they succeeded in doing was blowing one their own heads off i'll be breaking my sides laughing at these apes.

I lived in the UK during that time also and experienced similar. It makes the tarring of all Muslims with the same brush now by Irish people all the more laughable. These apes want us to turn on each other ffs let's not give them the satisfaction.

TBF im not sure us Irish are tarring them all with the same brush. I dont care if some is Muslim, Catholic, Protestant, etc but these dogs are going beyond anything the modern world has ever seen and it needs to be stopped or else give it time and the attacks will reach our shores.

If it turns out the attack failed and all they succeeded in doing was blowing one their own heads off i'll be breaking my sides laughing at these apes.

They didnt fail tho they took another innocent life. And they are now all over every news channel. So id say their mission is successful. The only F up seems to be that they didnt manage to blow the place up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

It sounds like it was an attempted suicide attack ... but they didn't even manage to succeed in killing themselves, let alone anyone else!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It sounds like it was an attempted suicide attack ... but they didn't even manage to succeed in killing themselves, let alone anyone else!

It does indeed. What a cluster fck!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ive met some muslims in my time. all normal people to me

That was my point. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

I truly feel sorry for the Muslim community. These terrorists don't even represent Muslims and are using their religion to try and justify their own goals.

However Muslims need to stand up against these terrorists and tell them to stop committing these acts in their name.
    To a point I agree, but the lack of Muslim outrage at this type of carry speaks to me of tacit condoning of the action.
    A friend was working the morning of 9/11 in an Irish hospital. During the list the team came out of theatre to watch the reports. Every one was shocked, except one pakistani doctor, who shrugged it off saying "So what? It's your turn now". My pal said at these words the hair stood up on his neck and he just felt queasy. In effect, a fellow medic he worked with supported the mass murder of civilians.
    Just a thought.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

obezyana wrote: »
    Those who commit such crimes need to be dealt with in the same way they deal with their so called enemies....chop their bloody heads......make em suffer first. Pure dogs. If they dont want to live a life the way we do then it would it be great if they would just F off and stick to their own little weird world and kill each other over there.

Well you see they WERE in their own little world until "we" started fucking with them. You know, invading them, killing them, occupying them.

• Advertisement

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    To a point I agree, but the lack of Muslim outrage at this type of carry speaks to me of tacit condoning of the action.
    A friend was working the morning of 9/11 in an Irish hospital. During the list the team came out of theatre to watch the reports. Every one was shocked, except one pakistani doctor, who shrugged it off saying "So what? It's your turn now". My pal said at these words the hair stood up on his neck and he just felt queasy. In effect, a fellow medic he worked with supported the mass murder of civilians.
    Just a thought.

scary. i probably would have decked him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

However Muslims need to stand up against these terrorists and tell them to stop committing these acts in their name.

you know we do.
    within the muslim community we try only it's not that effective and it's silly to think it can be stopped by muslims having stern words with other muslims.
    It's as useless as the many catholic priests at funerals who implored the IRA to lay down their arms in the 1980's.

The media are a lot at fault esp the "rah rah evil muslims" brigade who portray this as "they hate our way of life" that's bull**** the reasons are varied and many to why these groups exist. But mostly it's to do with economics and power in their own lands.
    Stopping these fools is paramount but part of that is understanding why they do what they do.

The Heart and minds stuff , bombs only get you so far and that's usually in the wrong direction cos you bomb somebody so much they don't care and then you'll never beat them. Give them a reason to stop and then you'll win.

Let's send in the marines, Ooh Rah

Yeah, cos they're so successful in everything they touch.

Egginacup wrote: »
    Well you see they WERE in their own little world until "we" started fucking with them. You know, invading them, killing them, occupying them.

Ah yes its our fault. It ok so I must apologies for my hatred towards those dogs. I dislike using this :rolleyes: but for your comment ill make an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Just a thought.

Would this be the same 'friend' that has people putting dolls in the road so cars have to stop, and all the other urban myths?

Even if it were true, how does saying that become supporting mass murder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

Again, I wonder what is being preached at the Clonskeagh mosque.

Why do Muslims "need to stand up" against these terrorists?

Muslim: "You there, yes you....the IS guy. Now stop with all these atrocities, got that?"

IS extremist: "OK, sorry. Won't happen again."

Get real.

Did you ever stop to ask why these guys are doing it? And please don't insult people's intelligence with the "They want to take over the world. They want to take us back to the dark ages. They hate us for our freedom" bullshit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Just a thought.

did he support it ? What did he say cos your quote is one of indifference not support.

Or did he just comment that after years of violence in pakistan that finally US citizens knew and felt what terror in Pakistan felt like.
    Perhaps he is unsympathetic due to that and the US involvement in Pakistan.
    However what you quoted isn't support for those actions.

Maybe people in the west should realise that there is a huge part of the world as indifferent to things like 9/11 because of their own situation stretching back years.
    9/11 was a terrible thing but to expect others who have suffered years of violence and extremism to be crying over 3000 people in america is a bit much.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,567 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    scary. i probably would have decked him

Beep beep beep beep ....hardman alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You can basically discount any and all attempts to say "this is not Islam". If anything, this is real Islam as it was originally intended. The Qu'ran is quite clear and forceful on the topic of unbelievers and what to do to them, and if you're a Muslim, that's your "bible". If Islam is not a "religion of peace", it's because they haven't yet wiped out or enslaved all non-Muslims. The violence is our fault, for not being Muslims: submit, and all will be peaceful.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement