Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€15 Subscription to National Geo, Newsweek, World Soccer, Vanity Fair, Top Gear...

Options
  • 23-06-2015 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭

For only €15 per year you can get a free subscription to all the following magazines including the ability to download to your iPhone/iPad/tablet at no extra cost.

How do you get this offer? By joining your local library!

Maybe I'm late to this bargain but I joined my local library today and saw a poster on the wall advertising this service from Zinio.

Full list of available magazines below for Kilkenny Library.

2a68g93.jpg

2ihqxkn.jpg

Info on your local library here - http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/PublicLibraries/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Libraries are the bargain alert of the century.

Books, DVDs, blurays, ebooks, language courses, newspapers, decent WiFi... They're great places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It does depend on your library. My local library only has back issues of newsweek for example on the zinio libraries page, think about December last year was newest one. Still lot of choice of other magazines and still worth every cent and supports your local library at same time. Have downloaded a few audio books and odd ebook too.

A great way to spend 15 euro, or free if you are unwaged, at my library.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

So you join the local library(if its available with them) and you can get a digital subscription to all of the above for 15 quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

glic83 wrote: »
    So you join the local library(if its available with them) and you can get a digital subscription to all of the above for 15 quid?

Yup, incredible value.

Google your local library to see do they offer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Meath08

Thanks for the info, I only joined my local library yesterday so this is an added bonus. I've just created my account with Zinio but there was no charge so maybe it differs from library to library? I'd imagine the magazines available may also differ between the various libraries. Mine doesn't appear to have a huge selection of magazines but seems to have something to cater for a range of interests.

• Advertisement

Meath08 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info, I only joined my local library yesterday so this is an added bonus. I've just created my account with Zinio but there was no charge so maybe it differs from library to library? I'd imagine the magazines available may also differ between the various libraries. Mine doesn't appear to have a huge selection of magazines but seems to have something to cater for a range of interests.

The charge is whatever your library charges to join the library, there's no other fee, the magazines are free. My library has less than op listed too, but still good.

The charge is whatever your library charges to join the library, there's no other fee, the magazines are free. My library has less than op listed too, but still good.

Ah that makes more sense. My library was free to join so I thought the fee related to the magazine subscriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

My monstrosity of a library cost 40 million euro so I should be getting these magazine brought to me by monkey butler!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Do you need a code or something?

Do you need a code or something?

You need your library card number initially but once you've set it up, that's it, your library website should have the info and link to the zinio for libraries page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

My monstrosity of a library cost 40 million euro so I should be getting these magazine brought to me by monkey butler!

But your library comes with its own swimming pool, jacuzzi and topless librarians. Nothing but the best for the burgers of Kingstown. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Grand. Ive my card here. Will give it a go tomorrow. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

my local library is only €2.50 a year.......

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cs2

Hi how do I actually do this please. I have a library card no. Looks great. Have look at both sites and am unsure how to do it . Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Cs2 wrote: »
    Hi how do I actually do this please. I have a library card no. Looks great. Have look at both sites and am unsure how to do it . Many thanks

Does your library have a website?

Look for a tab on it that has 'Online Services' or 'Other Services' and you're looking for a link to a website called Zinio.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

Not sure Kerry does this. Have not seen it advertised or promoted by them. Will pop in and ask later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

http://www.southdublinlibraries.ie/online-research

Thanks OP. This is the link for South Dublin. There are language courses available too it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

I don't think it applies to dublin city libraries. I can't see a link anywhere, that's a shame cause it's a great offer.

List of libraries participating according to zinio log in
    8wjr7o.jpgsobwom.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭ablelocks

looks like limerick libraries don't even have their own websites.

clare libraries do, but are not signed up to zinio....edit: I put a call into the online services librarian and she will be trying to get access asap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

the use of the word 'free' seriously needs to be looked at in general. wish people would stop using it. great bargain though. thanks op.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the use of the word 'free' seriously needs to be looked at in general. wish people would stop using it. great bargain though. thanks op.

My library is free to join, no yearly fee.
    Do think this is free, for me anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

wilser wrote: »
    My library is free to join, no yearly fee.
    Do think this is free, for me anyway :)

Same here, I am a member of the library in Ashbourne, Co. Meath. All it asked for was my library card number when signing up.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Same here, I am a member of the library in Ashbourne, Co. Meath. All it asked for was my library card number when signing up.

Thanks OP.

How much is it to join Ashbourne library?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

I can't remember if it cost anything, I joined up years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

ablelocks wrote: »
    looks like limerick libraries don't even have their own websites.

clare libraries do, but are not signed up to zinio....edit: I put a call into the online services librarian and she will be trying to get access asap

did you call the ennis one? let me know if you hear anything back, would be interested.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

€15 a year is a dear county library sub.

Kildare's list looks decent but it doesn't seem to actually work, unfortunately.

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    How much is it to join Ashbourne library?

I believe it's free to join any of the Meath libraries. You just need photo id and proof of address.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭3wayswitch

This is actually amazing. I signed up to my local library in Deansgrange and now I have access to all these magazines for free:

4K4iYz0.jpg

zXFr4wQ.jpg

i5ejPjf.jpg

qQynxkR.jpg

f90w6p5.jpg

yf1kdrC.jpg

R1TRnRq.jpg

b9tm1Wk.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Meath08 wrote: »
    I believe it's free to join any of the Meath libraries. You just need photo id and proof of address.

Anyone know if you can only join in your own county?

Advertisement