Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French ATC strike July 2nd & 3rd 2015

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

whippet wrote: »
    am I not reading this correctly?

"La grève n'aura lieu que les 2 et 3 juillet 2015."

my translation would say 'the strike will not take place on the 2 and 3rd july 2015'

The translation does appear correct but there is nothing on the unions website to confim this. Reading the full note via google translate I'd say there is a mistype and it should be the strike will now take place July 2nd to 3rd.

Been reading up a little bit on this and the main bone of contention appears to be to do with a new proposal the french government have to submit to Europe on the 2nd. its to do with the Single Skies policy that the EU are trying to bring in to streamline air traffic control in Europe. The unions aren't happy with whats being proposed.

If I was to make a bet it would be that an agreement will be reached. I'm just basing that on the date the strike is called for being the same date the proposal has to be submitted to Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

whiskeyman wrote: »
    For anyone with holidays booked, how does this play out if flights are affected?
    Are you put on the next scheduled flight once the strike is over at no additional cost?
    Or can the 'missed' flight be scheduled once the strike is over?

I was effected by strike action in December when I was over in Brussels. Basically Ryanair emailed me a couple of days before saying there is likely to be disruption and that I could either wait it out and hope it doesn't happen or I could book myself free of charge on any flight within 7 days either side of my original flight. I ended up booking a flight home a day earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

whippet wrote: »
    am I not reading this correctly?

"La grève n'aura lieu que les 2 et 3 juillet 2015."

my translation would say 'the strike will not take place on the 2 and 3rd july 2015'

The strike will only take place on the 2nd and 3rd of July.

@BrokenMan - yes, that's the official position, but it is also as you observed earlier: striking in France is a national past-time and any change is opposed by either the Left or the Right, regardless of whether it might actually be good for the country. (Which is why France's economy is in pretty much the same state as Greece, but that's a topic for another thread)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

The strike will only take place on the 2nd and 3rd of July.

apologies .. I was taking the n'aura as a negative !

d'oh ... so back to crossing fingers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I rang AerLingus and they told me the strike will not affect my Cork to Paris flight on the 3rd. Hopefully this is true!

That level of certainty is a bit puzzling, unless they have some special arrangement in place, or the timing of the flight falls just outside the strike period. The unions depend on being unpredictable for their "success" - the previously mentioned Calais shipworkers have launched another wildcat strike again (yesterday and today, maybe longer). P&O is paralysed and several hundred people are stuck in the ferry terminal; the M20 in Kent and the A16 in France have been turned into lorry-parks. The industrial relations climate here at the moment is not good, so I don't know how Aer Lingus can be so sure they won't be affected ...

But like you, my son's flight gets in on Thursday morning. It's one of the first intra-European flights of the day, on a 'plane based in Dublin, so I'm hoping there won't have been enough time for the disruption build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Louche Lad wrote: »

no flights to CDG then? My flight leaves Cork on the 3rd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭ifElseThen

April 73 wrote: »
    Due to fly to Nantes on the 2nd July. Feeling nervous now.

We are due on that flight too. Hopefully it'll be delays at the most!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Louche Lad wrote: »

Is this the final word on the matter? Or are talks still going on today? Due to fly tomorrow for four days and I'm holding off telling the kids they might not be going to Disney after all :(

Ponster wrote: »
    Is this the final word on the matter? Or are talks still going on today? Due to fly tomorrow for four days and I'm holding off telling the kids they might not be going to Disney after all :(

I rang Aer Lingus again this morning, and they told me not to worry. The guy said at most there would be a few delays. He said Head Office had sent them a memo this morning stating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Slightly OT, but Aerlingus online are totally useless on this. Ryanair has it on their website and you can contact them on twitter with your flight number to check out delays etc.

Apart from calling them, Aerlingus seem to have nothing mentioned at all.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

About 50% of flights were delayed/cancelled last time so I'm not sure about there being little impact unless they know something that the media doesn't.

Air France expect to know this afternoon which of their flights will be impacted.

Ponster wrote: »

Off topic, but relevant to children and Paris: be advised that France is experiencing a heatwave at the moment, with temperatures currently around 35°C in the shade, forecast to reach 40°C in the next few days. The Ile de France (where Disney is) is also subject to a new alert for violent electrical storms tomorrow.

To put things in context, the lowest overnight temperatures here at the moment are the highest forecast for Ireland in the coming week (or in any summer!)

Back on topic, no that's not the final word: there's a European ATC teleconference scheduled for 2pm Irish time when slots will be allocated. Still don't understand how Aer Lingus already know the outcome of those discussions! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 jack_edson

Half of my family are getting to France via the ferry and have been completely messed up, we are flying and have the stress of not being sure what is happening. I feel your pain Ponster, it's a bit of a joke. The kids won't understand.

IT looks like the ATC strike may be resolved but France has jumped way down my list of holiday destinations.

Strike has been called off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Strike has been called off.

source??

French news? But the information is correct. Threat of strike was lifted about 45 minutes ago.
    http://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2015/07/01/le-principal-syndicat-de-controleurs-aeriens-leve-son-preavis-de-greve_4666129_3234.html

And to stop it happening again:
    http://www.keepeuropesskiesopen.com/ (brought to you by Ryanair) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

French news? But the information is correct. Threat of strike was lifted about 45 minutes ago.
    http://www.lemonde.fr/economie/article/2015/07/01/le-principal-syndicat-de-controleurs-aeriens-leve-son-preavis-de-greve_4666129_3234.html

And to stop it happening again:
    http://www.keepeuropesskiesopen.com/ (brought to you by Ryanair) :)

Brilliant!
    That's a lot of hassle avoided so...

• Advertisement

Phew! Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

savage!!!

Advertisement