Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French ATC strike July 2nd & 3rd 2015

Options
  • 23-06-2015 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭

Looks like the french air traffic controllers are striking again. Can't see anything in the news but there's a notice on the main unions website. http://www.sncta.fr/
    Luckily we are just avoiding in but it's getting beyond a joke. Last strike was only in April. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭pcasso

Does anyone know how much this effected Aer lingus last time out>
    Due to fly back from Lyon with them on the 3rd.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

It's hard to know. Under french law at least 50% of flights must be allowed. Usually the day before the airlines are told how many flights to cancel. It's up to them then which ones they drop.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    It's hard to know. Under french law at least 50% of flights must be allowed. Usually the day before the airlines are told how many flights to cancel. It's up to them then which ones they drop.

Cheers.
    I might make some contingency plans to stay another night if I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

... it's getting beyond a joke. Last strike was only in April. Hopefully it gets sorted out.

Unlikely it'll be "sorted out" - the unions in France are inventing more and more ridiculous reasons to justify keeping things the way they were thirty years ago. This morning, it was a wild-cat strike in Calais blocking the port and the Channel Tunnel by a bunch of ship workers who can't get their heads 'round the fact that their demands have bankrupted three companies and no-one wants to employ them any more.

My son is due to fly in that morning. As his flight is operating ex Dublin and one of the first of the day, hopefully it won't be one of those cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Would it be safe enough to assume that a flight from Glasgow to Tenerife could route around French airspace easily enough on one of these days? It usually routes down over Dublin, then Waterford, and out to sea. Would a slight diversion to the west be enough to keep it away from French ATC issues?

• Advertisement

After getting worse. Other unions involved now and the strike starts on June 30th until July 3rd. One group for the first 2 days and a other the second 2 days. This is looking messy and coordinated.
    From a personal point I've been caught up now in it. Flying to reus on the 1st.
    It's a bloody disgrace that one overpaid and over privileged group of workers can basically hold the holiday plans of anyone travelling to southern europe to ransom.

Would it be safe enough to assume that a flight from Glasgow to Tenerife could route around French airspace easily enough on one of these days? It usually routes down over Dublin, then Waterford, and out to sea. Would a slight diversion to the west be enough to keep it away from French ATC issues?
    It's not as simple.as just moving to the right. There are specific air corridors. It's possible to move to one the avoids french airspace but as far as I have read it depends on the willingness of the airline and the training of the crew as it's more over water. The lads in aircraft and aviation can give a getter answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

How is this not getting more media air time - if it happens it will cause huge disruption for much of next week?

Going to France on the 30th and returning home on the third.
    I got caught in one of these the last time we went to France two years ago.
    I am beginning to think that it is me that is been targeted.
    :(:mad:

Shoulda tried getting to/from Paris yesterday ... civil war because the taxi-drivers don't like Uber, so they blocked the airports, smashed and burnt the UBER cars (only about 70), made people walk along the motorway with their cases. Expect more of the same - the unions in France are like cornered rats at the moment, but ordinary people have had enough too and they're fighting back (literally fighting in many cases, like yesterday).

In case you missed it, the government launched a new multi-million euro charm offensive two weeks ago to persuade the world that France is a really welcoming country ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭whippet

I don't f'in believe this .. I am flying to Barca with the family early on the morning of the 3rd with AerLingus to board a cruise ship. I am assuming this will affect the majority of spanish bound fights too

I rang Aer lingus who we fly with and they said they didn't anticipate our flight being effected.
    Not sure how they would know that unless they have a contingency plan made already.
    Perhaps it was just something to ease a customer's concerns.
    Made me feel a little bit better I suppose.

At least one of the unions striking on June 30 and July 1 have called it off. Hopefully the other one has as well. No news yet unfortunately for July 2nd and 3rd. Can't get at their website for some reason. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Aer Lingus should see minimal impact, they usually end up cancelling a Paris flights (of which there are up to 5 daily). At most I expect would be delays.

At least one of the unions striking on June 30 and July 1 have called it off. Hopefully the other one has as well. No news yet unfortunately for July 2nd and 3rd. Can't get at their website for some reason. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks for keeping the updates coming.
    I am struggling to find any information about this at all, despite going through google.fr and imputing my searches via French.
    Hopefully as the last poster said there will be minimum disruption for all.
    I think this http://www.sncta.fr/ is the website for the union striking on July 2th and 3rd.

pcasso wrote: »
    I think this http://www.sncta.fr/ is the website for the union striking on July 2th and 3rd.

Yes that's the one. Was down earlier but back now. No good news on it unfortunately.

This site gives a summary of all current and up-coming strikes in France: http://www.cestlagreve.fr/

Wildcat strikes, by their nature, won't be included.

This site gives a summary of all current and up-coming strikes in France: http://www.cestlagreve.fr/

Wildcat strikes, by their nature, won't be included.
    thanks. Interesting site. Hard to believe there's so many ongoing. Seems to be a national past time.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Due to fly to Nantes on the 2nd July. Feeling nervous now.

Still hardly a whisper of this in the media with less than twenty four hours to go.
    I find that amazing and unnerving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

For Ryanair passengers, no concrete updates yet:

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/travel-updates/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I am flying from Cork to Paris on the 3rd - should I be worried?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Any chance of knock-on effects lasting into Saturday? Flying LHR-CDG on Saturday morning.

according to this site it isn't going ahead (if my pigeon french is reliable)

http://www.cestlagreve.fr/greve/controleurs-aeriens-juillet-2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is that not saying that the 30th and 1st is cancelled but the 2 & 3rd will go ahead. I think the original strike was planned for 2&3, then another two days (30 & 1st) were added but seem to have been removed, so the original 2 & 3rd are now the two days of strike action

Leroy is correct.

There are multiple unions involved this action, and no coordination between them, so each will do what they think is in their own members' interest. Under French right-to-strike law, the unions are obliged to indicate their intention to encourage their members to strike during a certain period, but the individuals concerned are not required to confirm their participation until just before the action commences. There is no way for Ryanair (or anyone else) to know how many ATC staff will show up for work on the 2nd, and consequently no way of knowing how many aircraft can be handled during the two strike days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

In past strikes, what was the effect on Irish airlines? Is all France travel off and other countries get delayed etc? Due to fly to Lyon on Thursday so not looking hopeful at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

For anyone with holidays booked, how does this play out if flights are affected?
    Are you put on the next scheduled flight once the strike is over at no additional cost?
    Or can the 'missed' flight be scheduled once the strike is over?

am I not reading this correctly?

"La grève n'aura lieu que les 2 et 3 juillet 2015."

my translation would say 'the strike will not take place on the 2 and 3rd july 2015'

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    In past strikes, what was the effect on Irish airlines? Is all France travel off and other countries get delayed etc? Due to fly to Lyon on Thursday so not looking hopeful at the moment

Reading reports from the most recent strike in early april, Aer Lingus were barely effected at all with only the Dublin Paris route being effected by cancellations.
    Ryanair seemed to have suffered more cancellations.
    I have no idea though how much this will mimic the upcoming strike.
    FWIW when I rang Aer Linus on Friday they said they didn't expect the Lyon flight to be effected as we fly home from there on Friday.

Advertisement