Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israelis/Zionists crap themselves about success of BDS in Ireland

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Wikipedia :pac:

You should go back in time a bit. When the British tried to halt Jewish immigration into Palestine in the 40's the Irgun and Lehi started there terror campaign in the region. They not only massacred the Arab population but also scores of British soldiers and U.N diplomats in the process. How can you say Palestine invaded Israel? It was the hundreds of thousands of Jewish immigrants that invaded Palestine throughout the 2nd World War and the Balfour declaration that started this conflict.

And they really massacred them. It was one of the most vile terror campaigns of the 20th century. The hanging of two British officers from trees & the King David Hotel bombing which killed almost 100 people are the acts that stick out in my mind most. It was like a ISIS campaign. Now those terrorist are in charge of a state, therefore it's a terrorist state.

And IrishTrajan nobody is saying Hamas or Fatah are saints put compared to Israel there almost saints.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

And IrishTrojan you like using Wiki so much.

2,204 Palestinians civilians in the 2nd Intifada were killed & 914 Palestinians killed were unknowns. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Intifada#Casualties <- those Palestinians are like the heroes of the 1944 Warsaw uprising.

In the 2008/2009 Gaza massacre just under 1000 Palestinian civilians were butchered. Over 50,000 Gaza residents were displaced, 4000 homes in Gaza were destroyed & $2 Billion worth of damage was done to Gaza. Do you remember the the 1993 IRA Bishopsgate bomb which cost the city of London 1 billion pounds that even made the British government think about trying a way to end the war with the Irish Republic because it was costing them too much money. Well imagine double that in a tiny place like Gaza that is blockaded & barely has an economy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaza_War_%282008%E2%80%9309%29#Civilians_versus_combatants

In the 2014 Gaza massacre around 1,500 Palestinian civilians were killed & around 7,000 of them were injured.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Israel%E2%80%93Gaza_conflict#Palestinian

That ^ is the actions of a rogue terrorist state.
    |

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

How can you say the BDS is having any affect when the trade between us is that small anyway?

Well it could always be bigger. Isn't that the point? And I can't remember the last time I saw any oranges I bought in an Irish supermarket stamped as Israeli origin.

There was a time, back in my distant childhood, when it seemed as if ALL oranges sold here bore the brand name Jaffa. In fact, so prevalent was it at the time (the 1970s) that Jaffa became a slang term for an Ulster protestant (Jaffas - Oranges - Geddit?)

I'm not sure whether Jaffa is still used in such a manner. It's been a long time since I was Up North. Or saw a Jaffa orange (small o).
    As much as Germany, or France, or Britain condemns their actions, you know they're not actually going to let Israel be dismantled, the later two have actually displayed their commitment already in the Suez Crisis.

Yeah. Right. The British and French invaded Suez to prop up Israel. Nothing to do with the fact that their joint ownership of the Suez Canal had been usurped all of a sudden by Nasser's unilateral nationalisation of same a few months previously! How can you be so naive?

And who is talking about Israel being dismantled? Unless you imply that a two-state solution, to which Israel long played lip service and now under that nice Mr Netanyahu they admit that they won't consider any more, is "dismantling Israel".

Israel is going to have to make concessions, serious concessions to the Palestinians, or else carry on with the inevitable and increasingly impossible either to deny or justify ethnic cleansing, forced land appropriation and massacre of Palestinian civilians. There are many Israelis who are quite happy to go along with that and bear the consequences of a permanently militarised state.

One of which is the growing enmity of the civilised world and the steady growth in popularity of movements like BDS.
    I don't know about you, but when we condemn Israel's treatment of the Palestinians quite often and quite vocally, but then we're silent on Saudi Arabia or Iran or Hamas' treatment of civilians, it might give the impression we're on the opposing side.

This is exactly what pro-Apartheid supporters used to say about similar campaigns of disobedience against S AFrica. Don't you remember?

And frankly this argument gives me the hump. Because it is totally contradictory to your other arguments.

You started off by enlightening us all about historical events, the implication being that we are ignorant of the context and too quick to shout "what about the children!" when we see kids being killed and maimed in Gaza. We should be looking at cause, not symptoms, you imply, and the cause is clearly the savagery and intransigence of the Arabs, if only we'd bother to find out.

But then when people show that they ARE well read on the subject and do know much of the background and can point to the flaws in the Israeli argument you get all "What about Darfur/Iran/Saudi Arabia/Central African republic/whatever?")

The correct response to somebody inviting you to contribute to a cancer charity is not to say "What are you doing for spina bifida or homelessness, you hypocrite?"

Also, didn't we turn away a great many thousands of Jews out of fear of ethnic strife within the country during the Second World War? Hardly a shine on our reputation, to be fair.

Two things in response to that:
    1) We were hardly alone in doing that
    2) In fact the largest Jewish community recorded in an Irish census in the 20th century was in 1946 (or thereabouts) Straight after the war. So clearly, we did allow more in than we usually did. Of course, we probably weren't turning away too many before the war because there wasn't exactly a flood wanting to settle here.

But I will concede, it's not anything for us to be proud of.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

After WW2 & the Holocaust there was millions of Jewish refugees. Who was responsible for the Holocaust? White Europeans & mainly Christians & instead of doing the right thing which would be to give Jews a state somewhere in the Western world they sent them to the Middle East, now thats anti-Semitic.

I'm sorry but this is not an accurate summary of the history of Israel. The Western governments didnt send Jewish people to Israel they went themselves. Indeed, the British government, then in charge of mandatory Palestine refused to allow holocaust survivors into Palestine. See, for example:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyprus_internment_camps
    Jews & Muslims lived in peace for centuries until the West got involved....Muslims never persecuted the Jews

Also untrue or at least a very partisan narrative of history. For example:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_the_Ottoman_Empire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

These organisations are taking a moral position via Palestine which is currently occupied territory. Israel is illegally settling in Arab land. This is world renown just because Republicans and Democrats chose to ignore that fact does not justify Israeli actions. A dispute between Israel and Arab going back a long way and has still not been resolved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'm pleased to see a deal being reached. Obama's foreign policy has had little too celebrate and he may have had no choice. But I'll still commend him for seeing it through.

As expected, poor Bibi is completely distraught. The man really has some brass neck and he appears to be completely bereft of any sense of irony, when he speaks of terror during his speech.

Now we can move on to inspecting and sorting out Israel's illicit nuclear weapons and it's secretive programme. Yes I know, that's only wishful thinking on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Anybody else that that Israel are a bit obsessed with Ireland because of our success with US investment?

They seem to pick on any little thing they can find when it come to us?

Anybody else that that Israel are a bit obsessed with Ireland because of our success with US investment?

I doubt it TBH. Much of our US investment is dependent on our being inside the EU tariff wall. By that token, Israel would not be a rival for most of the inward investment projects we get.

Intel for example, has a factory in Ireland because it needed one inside, anywhere inside, the European Union. So we would have been in competition with the likes of Britain, France and Germany for that. The same company also has a plant in Israel but for different reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Well, I think everyone has an obsession with us because of our investment successes. Look at the Isle of Mann, it's a bigger tax haven than we are. It has access to the European market (as a dependency upon the UK) but has fiscal/tax autonomy from the UK itself. Britain, Germany, France... They're all loud when it comes to other people's dealings and successes, and always quiet about their own, blaming any criticism on jealousy.

And, yes, Israel would pick up every little thing they could find. They're known for doing back-door deals with anyone and everyone, doing what is in their favour even if it hurts their allies... I would trust the American and British Governments more than I'd trust the Israeli Government.

Madd Finn wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I ......saw a Jaffa orange (small o).

OK Hands up. I saw a string bag of oranges carrying the Jaffa brand in Tesco over the weekend. On inspection, I saw that the label said "Produce of South Africa".

Seems like the ideal cue for this Spitting Image sketch from the 1980s :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement