Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Israelis/Zionists crap themselves about success of BDS in Ireland

Options
  • 23-06-2015 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

This video made me laugh. Out loud.

Apparently Ireland is "Ground Zero" for the BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) movement which aims to put economic and cultural pressure on Israel to stop its policy of encroachment on what is left of Palestine and its treatment of Palestinians in the areas it occupies.

Why are Israel and its supporters so concerned with the legitimate and nonviolent actions of some Irish companies? How much business do we actually do with Israel? More to the point, how much do we do with Iran, North Korea or Sudan?

I have been made aware of several stories in recent times emanating from Israeli or Israel-friendly publications, which aim to prove that Ireland is a nasty anti-semitic place.

One recent story, from the Jerusalem Post, (I think) tripped itself up by describing how a family of American born Israelis went on holiday to Ireland and the father insisted that they pass themselves off as American to avoid hassle. After a few days of this one of the children decided that they could no longer continue the masquerade and started telling people they were in fact Israeli. And the reaction? Er.. nothing. People were more interested than anything else. Certainly they experienced no animosity or nastiness!!

Even as paranoid and biased an outfit as the Anti Defamation League (who see antisemites lurking under every bed with a paranoia that would have made Joe McCarthy's Red Scare movement blush) lists Ireland as below the average of anti-semites in Western Europe and gives us a ranking similar to the Americas overall.

So why do the likes of Mr Horowitz put so much effort into deprecating Ireland's attitude to Jews and Israel?

I can only surmise that the effect of BDS is beginning to bite. Just as sporting, business and cultural boycotts of South Africa eventually bit that apartheid regime hard and forced change.

Take it from someone who was around at the time: the arguments against boycotting RSA were very similar to those used by Israel and its friends today: what about Russia, what about African despots, what about all the other nasty bastards in the world? You're all such hypocrites!!!!!!

I think this shows that Israel is hurting. And the nonviolent, voting with your purse and wallet approach is paying dividends.

And all without a single suicide bombing or other "terrorist" act.

Enjoy!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I can only surmise that the effect of BDS is beginning to bite..

Really? How do you come to that conclusion when you do not even provide one source to support that summary apart from unverified anecdotal 'stories'.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

1. Look up the meaning of the word "to surmise". I put it forward as a suggestion, that's all.

2. If you have a problem with "unverified anecdotal stories" then your beef should really be with Mr Horowitz. He appears to have gone along to a number of mom and pop stores and asked them to consider taking his purported wares from N Korea, Sudan etc etc

Madd Finn wrote: »
    1. Look up the meaning of the word "to surmise". I put it forward as a suggestion, that's all.

So why did you put it forward as a basis in fact when its just a lose soap-boxing opinion with no basis in evidence or fact.

TBH, this should be moved to the Cafe such is the lack of any real debate.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jank wrote: »
    TBH, this should be moved to the Cafe such is the lack of any real debate.

we are happy to keep it for the moment. However, please use the report post feature in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

OK.

I am mystified as to why Israelis and their supporters, such as Mr Horowitz linked to above, are so interested in Irish attitudes to Israel. And also why so many of them seem to assume that as a country we have a dangerously hostile viewpoint towards them.

As evidence of this I can point not only to Mr Horowitz's "Ground Zero" documentary linked above but also to articles such as this one and this one both of which appeared in the Jerusalem Post, Israel's English language newspaper, in recent years.

The latter article is the one I referenced earlier about an Israeli family masquerading as Americans (which they were originally) during a holiday in Ireland because the father assumed that people would be hostile. His slightly less paranoid daughter disabused him of this. (Read the article for more)

Then of course there were the juvenile actions of the local Israeli embassy playing around with Photoshop to disseminate anti-Arab and anti-Muslim images during last year's Gaza conflict. ("What did you do in the war, Daddy?" "Meh, I fecked about heroically on my laptop")

I'm curious as to why they care.

After all, prodigious though it certainly is, ours is a tiny Jewish community. It is, so far as I can tell, well respected and rarely bothered. It has contributed out of all proportion to our cultural, political and financial life but it has never numbered more than about 5-6000 people at any one time and is now I believe less than about 2000 strong.

Our military is tiny and we are a neutral country.

Trade between Israel and Ireland is less than half a billion US$ a year, combined, according to the Israeli Ministry for Trade and Labour and is mostly taken up with elecronics and medical goods. I suspect (or surmise:)) that much of that is accounted for by the multinational sectors in either country. Intel has a strong presence in each.

We have very little real experience of antisemitism. OK so there was the Limerick Pogrom of more than 100 years ago which is a stain but it can be offset by the acknowledged support for the Jewish people from a range of prominent Irish personalities ranging from O'Connell through Michael Davitt to Eamon de Valera. (Yes. De Valera, the one who signed the Book of Condolences for Hitler. He was one of the first premiers to visit Israel after it achieved independence when few other Europeans deemed it politic to do so. While he was there he caught up with his old mate Rabbi Herzog, former Irish Chief Rabbi known as the Sinn Fein Rabbi whose son became president of Israel and whose grandson is now the leader of the opposition)

Ireland has supported Israel in the United Nations on many of the really important resolutions it faced. For example during the debate on the "zionism is racism" motion when the Israeli delegation was led by one of the aforementioned Messrs Herzog. Check out his Dublin accent :)

Now it's probably fair to say that a lot of Irish people, maybe even a majority, sympathise with the plight of the Palestinians. Why wouldn't we? They are the ones most wronged by the situation in Israel. They are the ones being subjected to the most ruthless heavy handed subjugation by one of the world's strongest military powers because they refuse to knuckle under to a brutal dispossession of their lands and national identity.

But that is NOT an anti semitic viewpoint. Indeed, inasmuch as Ireland recognizes Israel's existence and maintains diplomatic relations we are a pro-Zionist country. I would even argue that arriving at a just and realistic two-state solution is in Israel's long term interest because at the end of the day it doesn't matter a damn what people in small country thousands of miles away think of you; it's how you get on with your neighbours that is the only guarantee of peaceful existence.

What characterizes Irish popular attitudes to the middle east is vicariousness. Irish people don't hate Israelis, or Palestinians. Most of us don't know any Israelis or Palestinians. We hate other Irish people who hold contrary views to their own on who is more deserving of their support. A bit like hating local supporters of Manchester United or Arsenal.

The vehemence of an interest combined with total disinterest.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

OK.

I am mystified as to why Israelis and their supporters, such as Mr Horowitz linked to above, are so interested in Irish attitudes to Israel. And also why so many of them seem to assume that as a country we have a dangerously hostile viewpoint towards them.

As evidence of this I can point not only to Mr Horowitz's "Ground Zero" documentary linked above but also to articles such as this one and this one both of which appeared in the Jerusalem Post, Israel's English language newspaper, in recent years.

The latter article is the one I referenced earlier about an Israeli family masquerading as Americans (which they were originally) during a holiday in Ireland because the father assumed that people would be hostile. His slightly less paranoid daughter disabused him of this. (Read the article for more)
    That is hilarious. He won't buy his round, he had alot of conversations with people about discounts and he puts in his column in a national paper a tip about saving €6.50 on parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Trade between Israel and Ireland is less than half a billion US$ a year, combined, according to the Israeli Ministry for Trade and Labour and is mostly taken up with elecronics and medical goods. I suspect (or surmise:)) that much of that is accounted for by the multinational sectors in either country. Intel has a strong presence in each.

How can you say the BDS is having any affect when the trade between us is that small anyway?

Maybe it is the simple fact we're one of the few countries in Western Europe who actually wouldn't ride to their aid, so any time we condemn them, it makes it look like we're on the other side?

As much as Germany, or France, or Britain condemns their actions, you know they're not actually going to let Israel be dismantled, the later two have actually displayed their commitment already in the Suez Crisis.

Ireland on the other hand... might, if it leads to a solving of the Palestinian crisis.

I don't know about you, but when we condemn Israel's treatment of the Palestinians quite often and quite vocally, but then we're silent on Saudi Arabia or Iran or Hamas' treatment of civilians, it might give the impression we're on the opposing side.

Also, didn't we turn away a great many thousands of Jews out of fear of ethnic strife within the country during the Second World War? Hardly a shine on our reputation, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

always think the effect of boycotts on South Africa was wildly overstated. White South Africans changed because they realised how outnumbered they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

always think the effect of boycotts on South Africa was wildly overstated. White South Africans changed because they realised how outnumbered they were.

They always realised they were outnumbered - that's why there was apartheid in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Once the Americans started divesting from SA it was check-mate.

It'll be the same with Isreal. As long as big brother keeps backing them up nothing will change.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I don't know about you, but when we condemn Israel's treatment of the Palestinians quite often and quite vocally, but then we're silent on Saudi Arabia or Iran or Hamas' treatment of civilians, it might give the impression we're on the opposing side.

Saudi Arabia and Iran were not illegally occupying another peoples land the last time I checked.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia and Iran were not illegally occupying another peoples land the last time I checked.

No, you're right, instead Iran was training people to shoot and bomb US troops in Iraq, and actively support Hezbollah who have killed citizens in Europe with car bombs... And the Saudis just support Boko Haram, and IS, and Jabhat Al-Nusra who behead people and rape and murder children.

Yeah, thank god for legality!

No, you're right, instead Iran was training people to shoot and bomb US troops in Iraq, and actively support Hezbollah who have killed citizens in Europe with car bombs... And the Saudis just support Boko Haram, and IS, and Jabhat Al-Nusra who behead people and rape and murder children.

Yeah, thank god for legality!

Can you back up your claims about Iran please. If anything there the ones trying to eradicate Isis in the region while the Brits were arming them in Syria. Saudi Arabia are the worst of the lot but that doesn't stop the U.S and Britain being best of friends with them and all in the name of $$££.

But as I have said, Israel is an illegal occupier so obviously the Irish will support them as we know all too well what its like to be invaded and butchered.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod: In the interests of sanity, can we stick to the topic at hand i.e. the BDS movement and whether Israel is scared of them. There are many thread on Israel and the "which is worse Israel or Iran" type of argument always derails them. Curiously, when those posts are separated into a new thread people lose interest. So back on topic please, but feel free to start a new thread if theres any substance to the Israel/Iran comparison.

Mod: In the interests of sanity, can we stick to the topic at hand i.e. the BDS movement and whether Israel is scared of them. There are many thread on Israel and the "which is worse Israel or Iran" type of argument always derails them. Curiously, when those posts are separated into a new thread people lose interest. So back on topic please, but feel free to start a new thread if theres any substance to the Israel/Iran comparison.

Are we able to discuss the history of Palestine/Israel? If not, please remove the other part of this post.
    Can you back up your claims about Iran please. If anything there the ones trying to eradicate Isis in the region while the Brits were arming them in Syria. Saudi Arabia are the worst of the lot but that doesn't stop the U.S and Britain being best of friends with them and all in the name of $$££.

Simply as a matter of discourse/to end the discussion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_insurgency_(2003%E2%80%9311)#Shia_Militias
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_insurgency_(2003%E2%80%9311)#Iranian_influence
    But as I have said, Israel is an illegal occupier so obviously the Irish will support them as we know all too well what its like to be invaded and butchered.

Oh, come on. Hamas/Fatah have terrible human rights records and they started the conflict. If we're going to go by a "the invader is evil, Ireland supports the defender", maybe you should read about the history of the conflict? Palestine invaded Israel, it just so happens that Israel won. This is not to say Israel is faultless in this. They're quite clearly led by nutjobs like Netanyahu, and those settlers are proper fécking mental (so much so that the people I've spoken to in the IDF actually despise them).

Are we able to discuss the history of Palestine/Israel? If not, please remove the other part of this post.

Simply as a matter of discourse/to end the discussion.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_insurgency_(2003%E2%80%9311)#Shia_Militias
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_insurgency_(2003%E2%80%9311)#Iranian_influence

Oh, come on. Hamas/Fatah have terrible human rights records and they started the conflict. If we're going to go by a "the invader is evil, Ireland supports the defender", maybe you should read about the history of the conflict? Palestine invaded Israel, it just so happens that Israel won. This is not to say Israel is faultless in this. They're quite clearly led by nutjobs like Netanyahu, and those settlers are proper fécking mental (so much so that the people I've spoken to in the IDF actually despise them).

Wikipedia :pac:

You should go back in time a bit. When the British tried to halt Jewish immigration into Palestine in the 40's the Irgun and Lehi started there terror campaign in the region. They not only massacred the Arab population but also scores of British soldiers and U.N diplomats in the process. How can you say Palestine invaded Israel? It was the hundreds of thousands of Jewish immigrants that invaded Palestine throughout the 2nd World War and the Balfour declaration that started this conflict.

Wikipedia :pac:

You are aware their claims are backed with sources down the end, yes?
    You should go back in time a bit. When the British tried to halt Jewish immigration into Palestine in the 40's the Irgun and Lehi started there terror campaign in the region. They not only massacred the Arab population but also scores of British soldiers and U.N diplomats in the process. How can you say Palestine invaded Israel? It was the hundreds of thousands of Jewish immigrants that invaded Palestine throughout the 2nd World War and the Balfour declaration that started this conflict.

Jewish immigration started from the 1880s/90s. The Jewish population was some 450,000 by the time the British actually restricted Jewish immigration into Palestine. Irgun came about in the 1930s... After Palestinian Arabs had rioted in 1929 and killed or injured over 400 Jews. The third riot in a decade. Irgun was also set up in 1931... A year after Izz Al-Qassam's Black Hand was set up to drive the Jewish out.

Also, the Jewish immigrants hardly "invaded" Palestine throughout the second world war. They were kind of, you know, gassed and murdered in the millions across Europe.

You are aware their claims are backed with sources down the end, yes?

Jewish immigration started from the 1880s/90s. The Jewish population was some 450,000 by the time the British actually restricted Jewish immigration into Palestine. Irgun came about in the 1930s... After Palestinian Arabs had rioted in 1929 and killed or injured over 400 Jews. The third riot in a decade. Irgun was also set up in 1931... A year after Izz Al-Qassam's Black Hand was set up to drive the Jewish out.

Also, the Jewish immigrants hardly "invaded" Palestine throughout the second world war. They were kind of, you know, gassed and murdered in the millions across Europe.

Jewish population in Palestine in the late 1880's/90s was 24,000. Fast forward to 1929 and the Jewish population had increased by about 800% to 174,000. Do you not think that these riots where caused by the huge influx of Jews into Arab land? Arabs and Jews had lived in peace for 100's of years.

But along came the Balfour declaration which states the following.

"His Majesty's government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country."

So obviously the Arabs were going to feel threatened by this and the huge immigration into there homeland.

If the U.S made a declaration tomorrow that there will be a homeland created for a certain religion in Northern Ireland do you think the people living there would just up sticks and leave peacefully?

Yes the Jews were persecuted all over Europe, but why should the Arabs in Palestine have to pay for that? Why wasn't there a Jewish state created in Germany, Russia or Poland for instance?

Jewish population in Palestine in the late 1880's/90s was 24,000. Fast forward to 1929 and the Jewish population had increased by about 800% to 174,000. Do you not think that these riots where caused by the huge influx of Jews into Arab land? Arabs and Jews had lived in peace for 100's of years.

Yeah, so long as the Jews were seen as Dhimmi in the eyes of the law. The Ottoman's banned that, yet the Arabs kept acting as though it was in force.
    "His Majesty's government view with favour the establishment in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and will use their best endeavours to facilitate the achievement of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any other country."

I'd draw your attention to the highlighted part.
    So obviously the Arabs were going to feel threatened by this and the huge immigration into there homeland.

So when the Palestinians feel threatened, violence is justifiable. But when Palestine actually starts wars and loses, then launches rockets at Israeli schools, the Israeli occupation is unjustifiable?
    If the U.S made a declaration tomorrow that there will be a homeland created for a certain religion in Northern Ireland do you think the people living there would just up sticks and leave peacefully?

That is a false equivalency in and of itself. Britain controlled Palestine, the US does not control Northern Ireland. A better comparison would be the US announcing such a move in Puerto Rico, or Guam.

Would the people there attack the newcomers and try to murder them? I'd be quite doubtful.
    Yes the Jews were persecuted all over Europe, but why should the Arabs in Palestine have to pay for that? Why wasn't there a Jewish state created in Germany, Russia or Poland for instance?

You're not heard of the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, then? Asking why the Jews aren't in Germany or Poland, when it was those two countries that carried out the atrocities is a bit silly, no?

Yeah, so long as the Jews were seen as Dhimmi in the eyes of the law. The Ottoman's banned that, yet the Arabs kept acting as though it was in force.

I'd draw your attention to the highlighted part.

So when the Palestinians feel threatened, violence is justifiable. But when Palestine actually starts wars and loses, then launches rockets at Israeli schools, the Israeli occupation is unjustifiable?

That is a false equivalency in and of itself. Britain controlled Palestine, the US does not control Northern Ireland. A better comparison would be the US announcing such a move in Puerto Rico, or Guam.

Would the people there attack the newcomers and try to murder them? I'd be quite doubtful.

You're not heard of the Jewish Autonomous Oblast, then? Asking why the Jews aren't in Germany or Poland, when it was those two countries that carried out the atrocities is a bit silly, no?

They were being dispossessed and ultimately robbed of there land. Under international law people have the right to fight back through whatever means possible against there occupiers.

Britain controls Northern Ireland so if they said 1 million Syrian refugees can start there own country in Derry and Armagh do you think the natives would be allow it? You know very well where I am coming from. No way would it be allowed and rightfully so.

Why did the Jews have to go to Palestine I ask? Is it because some book written 2000 years ago said it was there land?

Why dont Israel obey international law and leave the West Bank and East Jerusalem and lift the siege on Gaza and give the Palestinians there own state?

• Advertisement

They were being dispossessed and ultimately robbed of there land. Under international law people have the right to fight back through whatever means possible against there occupiers.

The Jewish were buying the land, they weren't stealing it. The Palestinians largely didn't care about the Jewish wanting to buy land, until they realized the Israelis didn't want to live as Dhimmi under them.
    Britain controls Northern Ireland so if they said 1 million Syrian refugees can start there own country in Derry and Armagh do you think the natives would be allow it? You know very well where I am coming from. No way would it be allowed and rightfully so.

There actually was a plan along those lines, whereby the British were going to import 5 million people from Hong Kong so they didn't have to live under China's rule, I think they were going to build a city near Coleraine.

And the difference between the Protestant plantation and the Israeli immigration is that the Israelis want to treat everyone equally under their Government, as opposed to the Protestants who actively supported discrimination against Catholics. As far as I know, there's no discrimination in Israel.
    Why did the Jews have to go to Palestine I ask? Is it because some book written 2000 years ago said it was there land?

Well a lot of them came to Ireland and we refused them, the rest of the continent kind of hated them, and a great many Jews do live in the US.

And you're going to attack their religion with a strawman?
    Why dont Israel obey international law and leave the West Bank and East Jerusalem and lift the siege on Gaza and give the Palestinians there own state?

Israel kind of tried that before, when they gave Gaza to Egypt and the West Bank to Jordan. You know what happened, right? Those people they gave the land to invaded and tried to eradicate them again.

Why doesn't Hamas and Fatah obey international law and stop murdering Israeli children? Why doesn't Hamas obey international law and stop murdering homosexuals? - We can both play the illegality card, my friend.

Mod: You can talk about the history so long as its pertinent to the topic at hand i.e. BDS movement. The last few posts, facinating though they may be, are not really advancing the topic. if you want to discuss the history of a country there other fora for that.

And please dont question moderation on thread - use PM or reported post

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Well seeing as the US are trying to make provisions against BDS against Israel a part of the already loathsome TTIP "trade deal", then I think it more than fair to say that BDS has them running scared. If it wasn't having an effect, then such extreme measures, such as making provisions against BDS in a secret undemocratic trade deal.

It is of course to be expected that the US would try and criminalize even peaceful resistance by Palestinians groups, which imho shows clearly the problem wasn't that Palestinians resistance was violent, but that the resisted at all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

wes wrote: »
    Well seeing as the US are trying to make provisions against BDS against Israel a part of the already loathsome TTIP "trade deal", then I think it more than fair to say that BDS has them running scared. If it wasn't having an effect, then such extreme measures, such as making provisions against BDS in a secret undemocratic trade deal.

It is of course to be expected that the US would try and criminalize even peaceful resistance by Palestinians groups, which imho shows clearly the problem wasn't that Palestinians resistance was violent, but that the resisted at all.
    Eugh, as if there weren't enough reasons to protest against TTIP already

wes wrote: »

Care to show an example of this?

Nodin wrote: »

Nope, an article from the BBC that is over 13 years old or from an online pro-hamas organisation is not examples of what was said.

jank wrote: »
    Nope, an article from the BBC that is over 13 years old or from an online pro-hamas organisation is not examples of what was said.

The US law has not changed.

I await with interest why the same information in these articles as was contained in the previous can be dismissed

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/global-europe/economic-warfare-against-israel-can-fire-back-eu-316230

http://www.worldjewishcongress.org/en/news/lauder-anti-bds-measure-adopted-by-us-congress-is-major-defeat-for-israel-boycott-movement-6-3-2015

http://www.salon.com/2015/05/07/what_israel_fears_with_the_successes_of_the_boycott_divestment_and_sanctions_movement/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

This video made me laugh. Out loud.

Apparently Ireland is "Ground Zero" for the BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions) movement which aims to put economic and cultural pressure on Israel to stop its policy of encroachment on what is left of Palestine and its treatment of Palestinians in the areas it occupies.

Why are Israel and its supporters so concerned with the legitimate and nonviolent actions of some Irish companies? How much business do we actually do with Israel? More to the point, how much do we do with Iran, North Korea or Sudan?

I have been made aware of several stories in recent times emanating from Israeli or Israel-friendly publications, which aim to prove that Ireland is a nasty anti-semitic place.

One recent story, from the Jerusalem Post, (I think) tripped itself up by describing how a family of American born Israelis went on holiday to Ireland and the father insisted that they pass themselves off as American to avoid hassle. After a few days of this one of the children decided that they could no longer continue the masquerade and started telling people they were in fact Israeli. And the reaction? Er.. nothing. People were more interested than anything else. Certainly they experienced no animosity or nastiness!!

Even as paranoid and biased an outfit as the Anti Defamation League (who see antisemites lurking under every bed with a paranoia that would have made Joe McCarthy's Red Scare movement blush) lists Ireland as below the average of anti-semites in Western Europe and gives us a ranking similar to the Americas overall.

So why do the likes of Mr Horowitz put so much effort into deprecating Ireland's attitude to Jews and Israel?

I can only surmise that the effect of BDS is beginning to bite. Just as sporting, business and cultural boycotts of South Africa eventually bit that apartheid regime hard and forced change.

Take it from someone who was around at the time: the arguments against boycotting RSA were very similar to those used by Israel and its friends today: what about Russia, what about African despots, what about all the other nasty bastards in the world? You're all such hypocrites!!!!!!

I think this shows that Israel is hurting. And the nonviolent, voting with your purse and wallet approach is paying dividends.

And all without a single suicide bombing or other "terrorist" act.

Enjoy!

"Home to Lucky Charms" I can never find Lucky Charms anywhere in Ireland.

It's nice to see Irish business are so dedicated to the BDS tactic. But the 100's of billions of dollars the US gives Israel will probably counter that.

But still it's nice to know so many people hate the Zionist terrorist state.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

After WW2 & the Holocaust there was millions of Jewish refugees. Who was responsible for the Holocaust? White Europeans & mainly Christians & instead of doing the right thing which would be to give Jews a state somewhere in the Western world they sent them to the Middle East, now thats anti-Semitic. And by doing that they also punished Arabs the people who had nothing to do with the Jewish suffering. Jews & Muslims lived in peace for centuries until the West got involved. In fact Jews & Muslims got along so well that when Christianity came back to Spain when the Muslims left the Jews left with them for protection because the Jews were afraid of the antisemitism that would be unleashed on them in Europe & Muslims never persecuted the Jews but the Zionist sure as hell are persecuting the native Muslims of Palestine. And I just think that's very sad to see.

And people like IrishTrajan are blaming the victims instead of the victim makers & spouting Israeli propaganda which is just low.

Advertisement