Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? Interview question

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

ScumLord wrote: »
    I'd walk out of the interview. Any company that depends on its employees being clairvoyant isn't a company I want to work for.

I'm in the job, worked for the company for years. New corporate guy coming to ask the questions, walking out not an option....:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Probably back in Rescission.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Yeah it's a silly loaded question. I do wonder what the HR Bots think is the perfect answer.

Practicing interview techniques with my son one evening, he asked me "Where do you see yourself in five years time?"...

"In front of a mirror" :pac:

I nearly fell off the chair laughing, my son didn't get it :o

Serious answer though -

HOW TO ANSWER: Where Do You See Yourself in Five Years?

Disclaimer: I'm really not a HR Bot :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

It's a fairly standard question, more correctly worded it would ask "where would you like to see yourself in 5 years time"

In my experience if you reply stating you'd want more responsibilities, taking what you've learnt from 5 years in the role you're applying for and using them in the same company for the next role up in the chain of promotion you're good.

It's maybe a bit vacuous, but they just want to understand that you view the job as a serious opportunity (if you don't there will be someone else who does) and that you have some perception of yourself being there in 5 yrs time with more responsibility.

You can easily encounter worse questions.

Given the attitude of the OP, I don't know why they are bothering to apply. Someone actually will want the job and the opportunity to develop a career if they don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    As someone who is capable of time travel, I know where I'll be. I also know where you will be and let me tell you, it's not pretty.
    Now let's move this interview in another direction. Aliens. Discuss.

This would be my favourite answer to give. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Someone got a job interview ?

Balding, married, growing a second chin, changing nappies, and regretting the time I spent posting on boards instead of trying to bang 25-year-olds while it's still age appropriate.

gotta go.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I genuinely have no idea. As a rough guide I'm hoping to enter the infrastructure/Networking side of IT. I've just over 8 months experience altogether between a work placement and my new job I started last month.

See where I go from here I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Heading to the 2020 Euros as part of my stag. I plan to meet the future missus in two and a half years from now. Kids start arriving in 2021/2022, I'll be looking forward to the World Cup and laughing to myself that they ever considered a sh!thole like Qatar. I imagine by the ends of the 20s and start of the 30s, I like most humans in Western countries will have our minds uploaded to an orbital server infrastructure, which increasingly will be sprawling into the solar system and requiring massive material transformation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

c_man wrote: »
    Heading to the 2020 Euros as part of my stag. I plan to meet the future missus in two and a half years from now. Kids start arriving in 2021/2022, I'll be looking forward to the World Cup and laughing to myself that they ever considered a sh!thole like Qatar. I imagine by the ends of the 20s and start of the 30s, I like most humans in Western countries will have our minds uploaded to an orbital server infrastructure, which increasingly will be sprawling into the solar system and requiring massive material transformation.
    This man has it together..

• Advertisement
Advertisement