Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you see yourself in 5 years time? Interview question

Options
  • 22-06-2015 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

So our new corporate overlords are interviewing us personally and have pre issued the questions one of which is this old chestnut. :rolleyes:
    What's the best answer? 'Married rich and out of this hole' is probably not the honesty they want..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

'In your job'.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Matteroffact

In a job that I love and getting well paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

In a job that I love and getting well paid for it.

'Do you not love this job now?'

'In your job'.

'Your boss'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Sitting in your chair asking some poor unfortunate the exact same question you're asking me now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dog walker 1234

The 'correct' answer is probably one which shows that you have some ambition for advancement within the organisation. This would be coupled with teamwork and a work ethic. Ideally you would demonstrate these through a practical example of what you would do.

In a private capacity maybe healthy, happy, rich and out of this place is the correct answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

So our new corporate overlords are interviewing us personally and have pre issued the questions one of which is this old chestnut. :rolleyes:
    What's the best answer? 'Married rich and out of this hole' is probably not the honesty they want..

Prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Accepting a nobel prize, winning the lotto and retiring to a caribbean island....

Happy in position, seeing improvement and advancement opportunities, furthering myself within the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Your Superior

Best answer to give is that in 5 years time you'd like to have demonstrated beyond doubt that you are an asset to the organisation, and to have seen the organisation recognise that through career advancement and increased opportunities to grow, on both a professional and personal level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Its a tired old question though. Shows a lack of creativity on the side of the interviewer.

If you say you want to be in the same job - lack of ambition could be an issue.
    If you say you want to run the whole company- unrealistic ambition could be an issue.
    If you say you want to steadily progress thru the company etc - this means that you want out of the job you are applying for - could be an issue for the hiring manager.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

On a beach in the Bahamas after swindling you out of millions.

Got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭valoren

A subject matter expert in *the role the job is for*, up to date with the latest training certification etc etc

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

As someone who is capable of time travel, I know where I'll be. I also know where you will be and let me tell you, it's not pretty.
    Now let's move this interview in another direction. Aliens. Discuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

In prison for beating to death people who ask me ridiculous questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Older

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Where do I see myself in five years? No clue.

How do I see myself in five years? Bald as f*ck. :(

Where do I see myself in five years? No clue.

How do I see myself in five years? Bald as f*ck. :(

Off the fags?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Questions like that make me sad.

In reality in 5 years time professionally I see myself still doing a job I dislike, but hopefully at least for decent money which is the only reason I'm doing this type of crap in the first place. I'd give a much better answer than that though if asked in order to get that decent money I mentioned earlier.

I'd quit work entirely in a heartbeat if I could afford to never work again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"In prison"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I don't know. I don't have 2020 vision.

5starpool wrote: »
    Questions like that make me sad.

In reality in 5 years time professionally I see myself still doing a job I dislike, but hopefully at least for decent money which is the only reason I'm doing this type of crap in the first place. I'd give a much better answer than that though if asked in order to get that decent money I mentioned earlier.

I'd quit work entirely in a heartbeat if I could afford to never work again.

Yeah it's a silly loaded question. I do wonder what the HR Bots think is the perfect answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Off the fags?
    Never smoked a cigarette in my life! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

"celebrating the 5th year anniversary of you asking me that question"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

It is after hours so surely
    - just after getting my daily bj from my 20 something blonde double d cup secretary
    - headin out for a round of gold closing a mega money deal
    - before flying in my private jet to st tropez for a weekend with the boys!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

This time 5 years, I would plan to be looking back on five years of personal and professional growth, helped in no small part by the cross functional teams I am currently developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭doubledown

El Weirdo wrote: »
    I don't know. I don't have 2020 vision.

How long have you waited to use that joke? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

"Banging your wife"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd walk out of the interview. Any company that depends on its employees being clairvoyant isn't a company I want to work for.

Advertisement