Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sak mod problem

Options
  • 21-06-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

I have a SAK mod on my .22 at the minute, my problem is when I put it on and fire a shot or 2 and try and twist it off again the mod comes apart and the outer casing threads off the baffles instead of the whole thing coming off the gun.

Ive tried ptfe tape on the threads of the mod to keep it together tighter but it didnt work.

Anyone have the same problem or any suggestions before I put Thread lock on the threads..

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Had the exact same problem. Is your one new/newish?

When i bought mine they painted all of the mod. IOW they painted the threading of the mod. When i went to unscrew it the top piece of the mod and then the outer housing came off in my hand. I had to use a stick, handle or something in the baffles and use it to twist the mod off.

My solution was simple enough. I got the right size tap and ran it up and down through the piece that screws onto the threading of the rifle. I then got a small wire brush and gave it a good cleaning followed by some oil, drying and then a good lot of copper grease.

It still stuck a little at first, but soon was easy enough to remove. Also i resisted the urge to really tighten it when mounting. Just a gentle enough squeeze to keep it on, but not stitched.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cass wrote: »
    Had the exact same problem. Is your one new/newish?

When i bought mine they painted all of the mod. IOW they painted the threading of the mod. When i went to unscrew it the top piece of the mod and then the outer housing came off in my hand. I had to use a stick, handle or something in the baffles and use it to twist the mod off.

My solution was simple enough. I got the right size tap and ran it up and down through the piece that screws onto the threading of the rifle. I then got a small wire brush and gave it a good cleaning followed by some oil, drying and then a good lot of copper grease.

It still stuck a little at first, but soon was easy enough to remove. Also i resisted the urge to really tighten it when mounting. Just a gentle enough squeeze to keep it on, but not stitched.

I have no idea, it came with the gun, dont think the gun had seen many rounds through it before me.

Ill try running a tap through it and see how it goes, it is a major pain in the ass at the minute to take off the mod.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 35 outfoxing

Hi I had the same problem with mine it would unscrew leaving the baffle on the rifle, I took off the mod and put the top of the mod with a cloth to protect it in a vice and tightened it by hand don't put the outer casing in the vice , I never had a problem since, hope this was of help

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Same thing happened to mine the first few times I used it. Once it had been on and off a few times it stoped happening. This is probably because the paint came off the threads, I'd say Cass has found the problem there.

Advertisement