Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your biggest extravagance during the Celtic Tiger

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

anncoates wrote: »
    Let's be fair, it's now time for a moratorium on the word 'decking' in this thread.

Can we deck the next deckhead who mentions the word "deck" in this otherwise serious screenplay? I still lament the difficulty in getting a decent sit-down full Irish, with all these Cheeses petrol station forecourts full of gibbons in white vans. Thankfully that's improving slightly lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,432 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

This is getting rideckulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Mint Aero wrote: »
    . There was hookers, and coke and cake and decking everywhere. We'd so much decking we decked the van.

This has to be the best funniest thing ever written.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Could we have a moratorium on big words?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

I let the missus get a babycham AND crisps. Mad times. She still talks about them crisps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It would be more realistic to say a paid 150k for an apartment in a small town outside dublin thats now worth 80k .
    But thats not funny .

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was a student through the peak of it. Booze?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Remember when I had to go my relatives house we had to take our shoes off we go onto their carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Spent €2,600 (trade price) on a 32 inch flatscreen TV, which is now in my bedroom. Watching one now that cost €399

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,075 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Nasal sherbert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I has a permentaly stocked champagne fridge that was in great use.

We got engaged and went on an engagement moon fir 4 weeks to South Africa, then we got married in MIchelin starred restaurant in San Sebastein in Spain with 110 guests. We spent 2 weeks there , then went on a 3 week honeymoon to Hawaii and San Fran.

While in San Sebestein a few of us went to Arzark which is a 3 star Michelin restaurant which after wine cost a couple of hundred each

• Registered Users Posts: 10,718 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Mint Aero wrote: »
    Ate breakfast rolls everyday for an entire summer working on building sites. I was a kid and t'was like another land thinking back on it now. The queues of white vans outside the petrol stations in the early sunny mornings and the smell of bacon to cure the hangover from the night before. T'was the summer before it all ended. There was hookers, and coke and cake and decking everywhere. We'd so much decking we decked the van.

Lol @ you and your white van.

The real money was in commercial Toyota Landcruisers and Izuzu Troopers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭sadie06

An amazing piano, justifying it by telling myself it had to be of recording quality.

It has been recorded, but not very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I used to leave the immersion on and not use the water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I bought a laptop for gaming for about €1,800. Still shudder thinking about it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Bought a house made of decking with a decking out the back made of concrete blocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,970 ✭✭✭✭bnt

MY biggest extravagance was thinking it was safe to quit my job and go to university full-time. Five years of recession, featuring grants that started as "inadequate" and went down from there. Oh hindsight, thou heartless bitch ... :o

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Anyone mentioned Public services wages yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,436 ✭✭✭✭ted1

bnt wrote: »
    MY biggest extravagance was thinking it was safe to quit my job and go to university full-time. Five years of recession, featuring grants that started as "inadequate" and went down from there. Oh hindsight, thou heartless bitch ... :o

The opposite for me, I did a two year course, then went working for Intel, took voluntary redundancy and went back to college full time for another 3 years with a **** load of money thanks to the generous salary and ridiculous pay out from Intel. College years were great with no shortage of money

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Going on a date and paying for dinner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Packet of Tyrell crisps, most expensive packaged air ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Volovo

Flying lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

Ah the Celtic Tiger... breakfast roll for breakfast, hot chicken roll for lunch, 50 Euro a day in Spar, good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Was in recession-era Japan for most of the Irish boom.

Moved home in the second half of 2008.

A masterpiece of timing, me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

4 pages in, and no mention of acquiring a wife/husband/mistress/girlfriend/boyfriend/any combination of those yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

From someone who was only a young lad during the good years, the way people go on about it sounds like there was just endless trunks of money available to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I had a public sector job so didn't have buckets of money but had no kids so did have a disposable income. I just enjoyed being young and having meals out and going to the pub and shopping for clothes. On hindsight, I should have gone on more holidays :) had I known the responsibilities that lay ahead. I helped my sister and brother out financially while they studied and I am happy I did that, it was money very well spent.

Best post of the thread. Well done for helping your siblings out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭blackcard

Disappointed with this, thought there might be a few boardsies who bought a private jet or arranged a private showing of Riverdance for their daughters birthday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

From someone who was only a young lad during the good years, the way people go on about it sounds like there was just endless trunks of money available to everyone.

There was endless trunks of credit that people mistook for endless trunks of money.

"I'm wealthy because the bank let me take out a 20k personal loan even though both my credit cards are maxed!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Used to peg the burnt toast in the bin and stick on more toast
    These days I i stand over the bin grumply mumbling" for forks sake " while scraping the burnt layer of toast in to the bin

Advertisement