Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning :Debit card locked, notify your bank before travelling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I'm with bank of Ireland, using a visa debit contactless card and I've never had any issue while travelling abroad and I never had to tell them I was travelling. I normally only travel to places in mainland Europe and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    I'm with bank of Ireland, using a visa debit contactless card and I've never had any issue while travelling abroad and I never had to tell them I was travelling. I normally only travel to places in mainland Europe and the UK.

Those areas are secure with chip and pin, it's when your outside of these areas in backward non chip and pin countries that the problem arrises.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Problems can also arise with a card where your room is prepaid but hotel reception is putting through a small test payment on your card - in case you wreck the gaf presumably.

If this amount is very small (I know ibis insist on trying for just 1c) it will be rejected by PTSB. If they put through one euro it works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Yes but it's a complete pain if your travelling and it's your only source of money and you are using it as intended with the pin and they block it, it should not be locked it you are using the pin unless you opt in to some kind of child lock type system for idiots who write their pin on the card or use 1234 as their pin and then call Joe Duffy on their return to say they were ripped of by some "advanced cyber crime".

I agree but not every country is chip and pin enabled so that's no good until they all take on that security.

Also pins can be compromised with skimming a card at an atm and having a camera to record your pin input.

What I'm saying is that there will always have to be some sort of random checking as any security tech that is introduced, a fraudster will always find a way around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Yeah it's always the US as opposed to short haul Europe, because it's just swipe.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Each bank has it's own individual policies, and on the next level it's own fraud detection algorithms and policies.

Saying "I did X..and nothing happened" is no help as different circumstances will have different results.

The simple answer is to check with your card provider and work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

368100 wrote: »
    All that calling beforehand does is puts a note in the card so if a transaction is picked up that's potentially fraudulent and is manually reviewed, if it ties in with where you're travelling it'll be authorised eventually. Complex series of rules are running in the background of the banks fraud systems and things are 99% automated. You'll never know what triggers a stop on a card for obvious reasons and those rules are always changing in order to keep up with fraudsters.

I had used my card to withdraw money in Hong Kong in March with out any issues.
    I was blocked in France, luckily I had a CC or I would have to rely on an emergency money transfer.

Just warning people to tell their banks before travelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I am a former Bank of Ireland customer specifically due to this issue, the Bank of Ireland would purposely limit my card to around €100 withdrawals so that they could rip me off in their outrageous overseas fees, placing insanely low withdrawal limits and sometimes just plain outright blocking my cards completely. I remember having to go to the ATM in Thailand once before midnight again after it to get my hands on around €200 worth of Baht, and then afterwards seeing Bank of Ireland had charged me over €15 in their rip-off fees. I had always informed the Bank before I travelled but I since closed all my accounts and pulled my savings out too from BOI. I now have an EBS Account with a Mastercard Debit Card, never have any problems using it abroad and their fees are much lower. Bank of Ireland are just a shower of rip-off merchants. And all of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

Stinicker wrote: »
    I am a former Bank of Ireland customer specifically due to this issue, the Bank of Ireland would purposely limit my card to around €100 withdrawals so that they could rip me off in their outrageous overseas fees, placing insanely low withdrawal limits and sometimes just plain outright blocking my cards completely. I remember having to go to the ATM in Thailand once before midnight again after it to get my hands on around €200 worth of Baht, and then afterwards seeing Bank of Ireland had charged me over €15 in their rip-off fees. I had always informed the Bank before I travelled but I since closed all my accounts and pulled my savings out too from BOI. I now have an EBS Account with a Mastercard Debit Card, never have any problems using it abroad and their fees are much lower. Bank of Ireland are just a shower of rip-off merchants. And all of

Really? I took $180USD out a few weeks back and was charged €4 or something. They must have changed their rates or something since you did it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement