Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning :Debit card locked, notify your bank before travelling

Options
  • 20-06-2015 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

In France at the moment, I tried to withdraw money from an ATM and was declined, I tried again and was declined. I went to another ATM and again was declined.

I called my bank who told me that because I had not told them I was traveling , my debit card was declined, and because I had tried three times it was now locked.

I cannot unlock it until I get back to Ireland.:mad:

So no access to funds unless I use my credit card.

Just a warning to others to infer their bank before traveling .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Its a common policy. So people who aren't you can't take your funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Aib have an online facility where you can flag upcoming overseas travel but only 7 days in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 81,705 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Kind of overkill really, if you have the pin you should be trusted worldwide without any notice. The issue of cloning arrises in backward countries like the US where no pin is required for purchases.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Permanent TSB blocked my card for paying a recurring bill while abroad. Thought I couldn't be at home paying a direct debit and also be on hoildays. Aren't they smart?!

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Just on this issue, if anyone is travelling and has BOI online banking, you can do your credit card travel authorization on the online website.

when you log in click manage accounts, online service desk, and then credit card travel authorization from drop down menu...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ulster bank actually have no use for the information that you are going travelling. I forget every time I'm going away and ring them but they just say "that's grand but we don't inform fraud department or anything"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I thought they'd unlock it once you give them enough security info?
    Happened to me a few years ago when I never told them. I was with AIB at the time.
    Took about an hour to switch back on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Celtic Tiger

I've used my BoI mastercard all over the world with no problems. However my Visa debit card was locked last year in India. Once I rang the bank they reactivated it over the phone and just told me not to try to take out more than €100 worth of currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I thought they'd unlock it once you give them enough security info?
    Happened to me a few years ago when I never told them. I was with AIB at the time.
    Took about an hour to switch back on.

No , they cannot do it apparently, because I tried to withdraw 3 times , I effectively locked my card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

No , they cannot do it apparently, because I tried to withdraw 3 times , I effectively locked my card.

You need to give some serious thought before attempting to use a card in a machine after two refusals. If abroad I'd usually use a different card (even a credit card) to get cash to tide me over and find out why the original card was declined before trying it again because the third refusal almost always has consequences as described above.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Burning Bridges

I had been accepted earlier at a petrol station after being initially declined.

So I went to the first cash machine , declined , tried again declined, left it until I got to another machine and was declined , then called.

Really should not have tried a third time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Never had a problem with my Avantcard Visa Card anywhere i've visited in Asia, the US, The Caribbean or Africa.

My Dutch Bank Card I have to Activate the a World profile if I travel outside of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

I always notify them in advance, Ptsb, only issue I've ever had was with their Visa credit card in the US, which whether you notify them or not, I suspect they block first usage, so you have to call them to verify your whereabouts, (same happened my missus on same trip) never a problem in Europe once notified in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 33,175 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

News to me. I travel once or twice a month with work and I've never had a problem. Never even considered the need to tell the bank I was travelling, nor have they felt the need to act.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

What is the trigger point for locking a card though?

I'm just back from Denmark having used and withdrawn money on both AIB and BOI cards without issue.

Last year I used both cards in Brazil without issue.

Ages ago I did have a PTSB card blocked while attempting to use it in Vegas (not the worst time to block a card tbh).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

connundrum wrote: »
    What is the trigger point for locking a card though?

I'm just back from Denmark having used and withdrawn money on both AIB and BOI cards without issue.

Last year I used both cards in Brazil without issue.

Ages ago I did have a PTSB card blocked while attempting to use it in Vegas (not the worst time to block a card tbh).

This was the old policy of ABN Amro, certain countries were seen as high risk.

The United States, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand to name a few.

They changed the policy to have Europe or World profiles to stop confusing the customer on where their card would work and where it would not.

Strangely the United States is seen as the most high risk of all, with most of the worlds Card fraud occurring there.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I always call PTSB before I go on holidays - and they still always block my card! (usually in USA). It's a pain to have to call to get it unblocked, not to mentioned embarrassing (my card has been blocked as I'm paying for goods at the counter).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,963 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

op this happened me in australia years ago. luckily realised something was up after a couple of goes and rang the bank. would have been a disaster of a holiday if it was blocked. be warned folks.

M

The whole system is crazy, basically they want to cover themselves in backward countries where even if you only know your pin your car can be compromised. There should be an opt out where if your pin is used by someone else you are responsible for the loss but if the card is used for purchases without pin they are responsible. Just cheap ass credit/debit card companies unwilling to have the same standards worldwide.

I don't like having to tell my bank every time I go on holidays, it's like asking your parents can you go to the shops.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Had the option to add travel information for my cards on the Lloyds Bank and AIB sites, did so for both, no problems in the US on honeymoon. Was absolutely crucial that my cards worked because OH was having issues with NatWest at the time and had no functional cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I called BOI before I went away 2 weeks to say I was travelling, gave the locations and dates etc. Then they still blocked it halfway through my trip "just to check I was still away". I mean it wasn't the guy who picked up the phone's fault but REALLY. A little excessive. Especially because the fraud alert was triggered on a $9 Chipotle meal :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

My PTSB visa & debit card both got stopped on holidays in New York last year. I rang them tho and they unblocked both...was a hassle to ring them though as the push button numbers didn't work for some reason so I had problems and had to get my mother to get them to ring me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 danimalitoX

This post has been deleted.

I'm in a similar position, i travel globally 6-9 months/ year, i've never informed the bank and have never had a card blocked. I'm starting to think it's more likely they block a card if you ring the bank beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jaymcg91

I'm in a similar position, i travel globally 6-9 months/ year, i've never informed the bank and have never had a card blocked. I'm starting to think it's more likely they block a card if you ring the bank beforehand.

No they say it'll definitely be stopped if you don't call. I've got no idea, it's an automatic system that stops it so who knows what the criteria is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

AIB didn't block me when I was inter railing in Eastern Europe but there was a letter waiting for me on my return asking me to call them. We verified every transaction so all good

AIB online banking has the option to notify them on travel plans but this is no guarantee you won't be blocked.

Their computer automatically blocks you if you fail some rule and the note you left on the account us for the staff when they review it. That may be a few hours later though.

The banks are very automated and telling your bank in advance won't stop the computer saying no.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 danimalitoX

I was curious so asked a mate in AIB about it who works the floor in a branch, she says that if you have a pattern of regular foreign withdrawals they won't block the card, it's more if you don't travel much that you are at risk.

If you call into the branch to tell them you are travelling, she would tell you to do it online or throw you onto the card department in D1.

I'm told that they should make an attempt to get in touch with you before blocking anything, so best to have your mobile phone contact details up-to-date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

All that calling beforehand does is puts a note in the card so if a transaction is picked up that's potentially fraudulent and is manually reviewed, if it ties in with where you're travelling it'll be authorised eventually. Complex series of rules are running in the background of the banks fraud systems and things are 99% automated. You'll never know what triggers a stop on a card for obvious reasons and those rules are always changing in order to keep up with fraudsters.

M

368100 wrote: »
    All that calling beforehand does is puts a note in the card so if a transaction is picked up that's potentially fraudulent and is manually reviewed, if it ties in with where you're travelling it'll be authorised eventually. Complex series of rules are running in the background of the banks fraud systems and things are 99% automated. You'll never know what triggers a stop on a card for obvious reasons and those rules are always changing in order to keep up with fraudsters.

Yes but it's a complete pain if your travelling and it's your only source of money and you are using it as intended with the pin and they block it, it should not be locked it you are using the pin unless you opt in to some kind of child lock type system for idiots who write their pin on the card or use 1234 as their pin and then call Joe Duffy on their return to say they were ripped of by some "advanced cyber crime".

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

When dealing with ulster bank before head off the response is always.

"that's fine, but just to let you know we're going to block your card anyway"

Rediculous carry on.

Advertisement