Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Most chefs recommend 18-22% fat for burgers.

There is a youtube channel with guys visiting gourmet burger places around the country, search youtube for "beary hikers burger" and the owners often reveal how they cook the, fat content, cuts etc. I think I read the now closed Jo'burger used 5% but almost all others were around the 20% mark.

I use tesco cheapo 18% and use the smash technique that many of the gourmet places do, makes a huge difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I can't warm to them, too dense and not enough flavour for me.

I also found some real grizzly bits in mine last time I got them and it really put me off them. Found them very bland also.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

.red. wrote: »
    When I tried the buttermilk burgers a few weeks ago I raved about them, really nice and plenty of flavour.
    I had the southern fried today and found them a bit, meh! The kids loved them tho, said they tasted like KFC, but nicer. I wasn't too keen tho, nice and crispy but no real flavour off the coating.

I didn’t really care for the southern fried ones either. Very bland and mundane. The other two are great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Recliner

Tried the buttermilk thigh burger. Just cooked it and served as it was with homemade chips for myself.
    I totally underestimated the size of the burgers in comparison to the burger buns so I cut the husband's burger in half and made 2 burgers for him.
    A big thumbs up from both of us.

Just as an aside, I can't understand the love for brioche burger buns. Honestly taste way too sweet to me to eat with a savoury dish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I picked up a new "just good sauce co." cajun burger sauce a couple of days ago and I definitely do not recommend it - it's supposed to have a bunch of spices, coconut milk, pineapple red pepper etc., in it, but it just tastes vinegary and sour to me. I think I'll bring it back and tell them; it's that nasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Recliner wrote: »
    ... I can't understand the love for brioche burger buns. Honestly taste way too sweet to me to eat with a savoury dish.

If I could thank you several times I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,888 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Me too , I don't like Brioche buns at all tbh .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Me neither.

But maybe I could make French toast with them?
    With bacon and maple syrup...
    Sweet & savoury has its place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The seeded brioche buns are nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,432 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Me too , I don't like Brioche buns at all tbh .

Glad I'm not only one.
    I remember reading about them here and being so excited. I had the whole family told.
    When we had them I got the look.

I think they were more of an anti climax than anything.

• Advertisement

If I could thank myself, I would.. :-)

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Me neither.

But maybe I could make French toast with them?
    With bacon and maple syrup...
    Sweet & savoury has its place.

A local restaurant started using them for Eggs Benedict. I actually thought I'd throw up after the first bite.
    But maybe with bacon and maple syrup? I think I'm just prejudiced at this stage.
    I do agree sweet and savoury has its place though, just not that place..

I'm a tad nervous about trying the tigh burgers because of everybody who loves the brioche buns seems to love them.

I'm a tad nervous about trying the tigh burgers because of everybody who loves the brioche buns seems to love them.

Try the burgers, forget the brioche buns.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,888 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I had them , with baps , burger buns can't remember which tbh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Has anyone seen Aldi's Aperol dupe around lately? I think their version is called Aperini. They had bottles constantly in stock up to a few months ago, but haven't them anywhere recently.

Have an awful craving for an Aperol Spritz, but the real Aperol is quite dear at over €20 a bottle, whereas the Aldi dupe was only €7.99!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

B0jangles wrote: »
    I picked up a new "just good sauce co." cajun burger sauce a couple of days ago and I definitely do not recommend it - it's supposed to have a bunch of spices, coconut milk, pineapple red pepper etc., in it, but it just tastes vinegary and sour to me. I think I'll bring it back and tell them; it's that nasty.

Agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,337 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Some people are obsessed with the thigh part of this discussion.

Some people seem genuinely scared of the tastier, moister dark meat when it's presentee to them in isolation yet don't worry when they consume a roast chicken.

noodler wrote: »
    Some people are obsessed with the thigh part of this discussion.

Some people seem genuinely scared of the tastier, moister dark meat when it's presentee to them in isolation yet don't worry when they consume a roast chicken.

I eat loads of meat/fish.
    Duck/Vension/ostrich/lambs/crackling/fatty meat/chitchen legs/wings/etc but my least favourite meat is chicken thigh.
    I'd pick at it but I wouldn't enjoy it.
    Sorry for derailing the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

2013Lara wrote: »
    Agree!

You thought the same? If so, that's good to know, I was genuinely wondering if the one I got had from a batch that had been badly stored.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭2013Lara

B0jangles wrote: »
    You thought the same? If so, that's good to know, I was genuinely wondering if the one I got had from a batch that had been badly stored.

I did, was awful! I love cajun sauce so got excited when I seen it. This wasn't like any cajun sauce I've had before. Was very very sharp!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Has anyone seen Aldi's Aperol dupe around lately? I think their version is called Aperini. They had bottles constantly in stock up to a few months ago, but haven't them anywhere recently.
    Have an awful craving for an Aperol Spritz, but the real Aperol is quite dear at over €20 a bottle, whereas the Aldi dupe was only €7.99!

havent seen for ages either... think all that italian range incl liqueurs gone?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Recliner wrote: »
    Just as an aside, I can't understand the love for brioche burger buns. Honestly taste way too sweet to me to eat with a savoury dish.
    I loved those brioche cake things with icing and also worried they would be too sweet. I compared packs and there is really very little more sugar in the brioche burger buns I compared, nothing like cake brioche.

JOhnston Mooney brioche are "5.3% of which sugars"
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=297685304

their standard are 5.2%
    https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=273718804

Many burger buns are a little sweet anyway. Also many people smother burgers in highly sweet ketchup anyways -this is what convinced me to try them.

The aldi buns are lower weight than many others so there is less of the bread to begin with. I find regular buns too bready, the aldi ones hug the burger esp. when steamed. If I was in tesco or lidl I would go with their regular buns as the brioche ones are not worth it, esp. knowing aldi ones are out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭squadro

Is it aldi or lidl that have the beer battered onion rings that people say are nice?

squadro wrote: »
    Is it aldi or lidl that have the beer battered onion rings that people say are nice?

lidl are the good ones.
    rubadub wrote: »

the onion rings were discussed in the lidl thread, and even mentioned aldi being bad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Might be gone from Lidl now, they came back slightly different a while back but havent seen them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It was reduced in price a few months ago, so perhaps they stopped stocking it? Pity if true, as it was a good alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Spotted new low fat burgers today in a 4 pack - 88% beef so a bit more seasoning/filler than the two pack which are 95% beef. Similar price per kg. Calories slightly lower iirc. I am not a fan of the 5% fat ones so might hold off until somebody else tried them first!

The expansion of the summer meat range seems to have lead to some casualties due to shelf space - the gorgeous bacon fillet medallions in the black box seem to be gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Was planning a bit of a barbecue for some the family.

Does anyone knew if they still do the mixed seasoning spice grinder they used to have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,749 ✭✭✭donegal_man

gozunda wrote: »
    ...Does anyone knew if they still do the mixed seasoning spice grinder they used to have?

They were in Letterkenny today, alongside the usual selection of herbs and spices.

Advertisement