Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train line held up by fare evader

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

is he banned from Irish Rail as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

loyatemu wrote: »

No!

GM228

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

In a perfect world, the fare evader could be sued for inconvenience and delay caused.

There is nothing to stop anyone who suffered a loss as a result of his actions from suing him for damages. Well nothing except the massive legal costs and slim chances of recovering enough from him even after a win.
    beauf wrote: »
    Seems a small fine for the massive amount of disruption.

IE should take a civil action against him to recover their losses and the ticket inspector would have a very good defamation case against him for publicly accusing him of being racist.

Same applies though, fat chance of ever cover the legal costs never mind actually recovering any damages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

He didn't even turn up in court - maybe he was travelling by train and was delayed by another serial fare evader!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It doesn't seem much of a deterrent to future delays then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,555 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

A €2.6K fine - that's hardly a small amount for anyone to have to pay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If the fine is pursued.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

lxflyer wrote: »
    A €2.6K fine - that's hardly a small amount for anyone to have to pay?

He's made a mint by not paying his fares ....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

nothing would be a deterrent. if one is the type to do this they will regardless

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

loyatemu wrote: »
    GM228 wrote: »
    No!

GM228

Sure even if he were, Irish Rail would have to actually have staff in stations to enforce it! Based on the address in the article, I can only assume he got the train from Coolmine, which is also my local station, and I can't remember the last time I actually saw the station staffed. Maybe there's someone there in the morning (the rare instances I get the train then I don't go via the building as I come from the other side of the line, but then he would also) but one could be forgiven for thinking that the shutters were automated in general.

• Advertisement
Advertisement