Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi R8 E-Tron 90 Kwh Battery Charges @150 Kw !

Options
2»

Comments

BoatMad wrote: »
    my own questions come from facing a 200Km round trip commute, which I see as too close to the limits of current EVs

It is short by about 80 Kms. But if these are not frequent trips and there are fast chargers on route then this isn't beyond the capabilities of the Leaf or Zoe. Zoe having the better charger for the standard street chargers if you're heading into any half decent town there's usually a few of these, 1 hr 30 odd mins for a full charge, come out hop in the car and no looking for a fast charger.

Currently my commute is about 140 Kms, If I were to charge at Naas a bit less because I charge at newlands cross over lunch I don't really want to stop in Naas after a shift and potentially have to wait while there are people shopping, usually those charging at newlands cross are there because they need to be and move on fast enough but that Naas charge point location is a disaster !

But if I were to charge at naas then 10 mins is plenty to get me home with about 20-25% to spare but I don't want to drive home close to empty daily.

So I would say 160-170 Kms is possible not driving too slow in a leaf with a 10 min charge. But you'd want to be plugged in by 160 Kms.

The Updated battery for the 2016 model Leaf would easily get me 160 kms plenty to get home but I don't think I will change until the Next Gen electrics come out.

Not sure the PCP contract would allow such an early change.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Because until you have the stated range under ALL circumstances, wind on the nose, motorways speeds, Aircom ,climate control on, all gadgets powered up and head lights etc , people will want more.

when I get 300 miles from an EV in all those circumstances and a reasonable network of superchargers , its the time of the EV.

ps: "how can people want more"
    IBM once stated that the world could be satisfied with 5 computers !!!!!

People have the choice and I think the more people know someone who has an EV might change their opinions in relation what they want and actually need.

I'll be in favour of 200 miles and 10 min charging over 300-400 miles range, I simply don't need it and if I have the option I won't pay for it. I'd rather have an 8-10K cheaper EV than carry around a huge heavy battery I would rarely use.

ICE cars ,petrol and diesel keep the majority of people happy for now and unless there is massive changes in taxes or the E.U and E.U Governments get their acts together and eliminate diesel fuel I can't see massive EV sales.

Most likely it will be the Auto Makers themselves who will decide for everyone what they will buy because they won't keep producing ICE cars forever if stricter and stricter emissions come into effect it will simply be too difficult and expensive to produce electrics and it will also be too expensive to keep producing both.

There's no doubt soar has great potential in Ireland , storage is the problem and no feed-in-tariff makes it uneconomical compared to the cheap cost of night rate leccy. Having to buy huge battery storage makes it much less economical. If it costs less than 2 euro's for 75 odd miles, do the maths !

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

If you have a gap between fast charging and larger battery packs people will just charge enough to get to there destination. How many people just throw in €20 of diesel to do them until next pay day.

I don't charge every day and do a quick top up if I need more range. It would be the same if I had a larger battery. Get a 7kW home charger and that will charge a 85kWh battery in about 12 hours. Or about 80% in about 10. Still plenty fast and will still do a few hundred kms.

Dexter1979 wrote: »
    If you have a gap between fast charging and larger battery packs people will just charge enough to get to there destination. How many people just throw in €20 of diesel to do them until next pay day.

I don't charge every day and do a quick top up if I need more range. It would be the same if I had a larger battery. Get a 7kW home charger and that will charge a 85kWh battery in about 12 hours. Or about 80% in about 10. Still plenty fast and will still do a few hundred kms.

I would love more range so I don't have to go out over lunch or top up on the way home and risk waiting for nearly an hour at Naas. The updated battery for the 2016 Leaf model year would see me home with some to spare that's if the 30 kwh is actually usable if it's the same 3 Kwh buffer for 27 Kwh usable I would probably still make it. Work still hasn't installed the charge point and I won't mention it again I don't want them to feel I depend on it they can stuff their charge point at this stage. Nearly 7 months to install a charge point ?

If you want to charge on night rate that 85 Kwh battery you'd have to do it over 2-3 days. But for those large batteries people will just charge them up over a couple of nights ready for the really long trip but for the majority of the time the Kwh is left sitting wastefully doing absolutely nothing other than to give people piece of mind, very silly really !!!

This is where the ESB should really get the finger out and get a smart grid in operation, because most people will never use most of their very large EV battery the energy stored in the car can be used at peak hours.

Out of a 100 Kwh pack you could easily send 50-60 Kwh per day to the grid. I'd need about what 28 Kwh daily for 140 Kwh and that would be getting home close to 0% at about 3.5 Miles per Kwh efficiency not driving too easy so 30 Kwh should get me home with a bit left. So out of a 100 Kwh pack I'd have 70 Kwh to send to the grid when I get home.

Though it's not as easy as this because you need to make sure you got enough for the next day so I could say I want to stop providing to the grid at midnight when the night rate kicks in.

on a 32 amp supply you could get about 45 ish Kwh per night over 7 hrs off peak charging.

I really feel 200 miles is a good maximum if you can get fast charging down to 5-10 mins to 80%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

nokia69 wrote: »
    Tesla are at 120kW now and 135 is coming soon, so 150kW is not that far away, thats not much good to Audi of course

anyway this just looks like another vapourware concept from Audi I doubt we will see it on the road anytime soon

Audi have stated the new R8 will be available to order in etron format by the end of this year so its basically here!

Advertisement