Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2015: Round 8 - Austrian GP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Lol. Bananas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

In fairness to Nico, he had Lewis there I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

Had Rosberg not dipped a wheel onto the astroturf, he'd have been on pole.

Myrddin wrote: »
    In fairness to Nico, he had Lewis there I reckon.

He was a tenth faster after S2. If he matched his final sector, he'd have been on pole.

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Had Rosberg not dipped a wheel onto the astroturf, he'd have been on pole.

Thinking back though, it's hard to say. Lewis' engineer said his 2nd timed lap would be the quicker one, so if Lewis hadn't spun he too would likely have gone faster that the 1st lap. Some ending, both pole contenders going off by pushing as hard as possible - great stuff.

• Advertisement

It's strange, a lot of us complain about giant run off areas & drivers not being challenged or punished. This track seems somewhat old-school in a sense, gravel traps, tricky braking zones, low grip....yet it's still a dull affair of sorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Not a good time for Kimi to qualify 17th with all the questions about his Ferrari contract, would not surprise me if it was the final nail.

Not a good time for Kimi to qualify 17th with all the questions about his Ferrari contract, would not surprise me if it was the final nail.

Indeed, personally I reckon he's a gonner.

On another note, just watching the GP2 feature race here - 24 thumping V8's nailing it when the lights go out...it's like how F1 used to be :( The noise is amazing, & because of the nature of GP2, the racing seems a lot tighter & better to watch too.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have never like the A1 Ring, it never really produced great races.

So it seems, I wonder why that is though, given it's not like some of the aerodromes you see elsewhere? It seems to be boring for a reason I can't quite put my finger on...

I quite like it with its kinks and undulations.
    If it's dry though it's like just about all other tracks, once the field is settled into fastest-slowest it's going to be boring as **** barring reliability or mistakes.

• Advertisement

I dunno if I completely "get" all the criticism either. Like there was no race for what, 11 years before last year? Before that there were 7 races and I'm not gonna pretend to remember them all but this one sounds good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Austrian_Grand_Prix This one doesn't sound horrendous: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Austrian_Grand_Prix
    Here you had Coulthard screwing Hakkinen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1999_Austrian_Grand_Prix
    This one sounds like a bit of craic as well with a rainy mixed-up grid: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Austrian_Grand_Prix
    This one again had a mixed up grid and movement: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Austrian_Grand_Prix

That's 5/7 that on paper at least look half-decent. The other 2 races both had Ferrari team orders including the one that caused team orders to be banned outright.

So like I said, I don't "get" the hate for the track. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

"[I was told] that we have three timed laps and obviously they noticed at some point that we went out too late and I was not going to have three timed laps, but I was never told. I was doing a normal plan and obviously it made a big difference. It was wrong. I was doing the same thing that I was doing when I went out and I never got the information that it was not possible to do what was the original plan and obviously we missed the one lap completely. I was thinking that I was doing the normal thing and I was not told that the plan had changed suddenly. They sent me out too late, we missed one lap and it obviously cost a lot. Obviously it was not ideal. We should be much higher up and I'm sure we could have fought at the front, but we tried to do our best and obviously it's not an ideal starting place. Yes, there are long straights but also there are very tricky corners to be in the middle of the pack, so we have much bigger chances to have that happening in the first few corners, so you try to stay clear of all the s*** in the first lap and then I guess we should have speed, but you never know what will happen in the race. We will do our best and see where we end up."

Quoted from ESPN (although it's appearing everywhere now). It's hard to see it affecting Kimi's chance of a 2016 contract when it's Ferrari's fault, similar to last year at the hungaroring.

It's hard to see it affecting Kimi's chance of a 2016 contract when it's Ferrari's fault, similar to last year at the hungaroring.

Indeed, unless he knows he's already gone? Speaking out against Ferrari is a bit of a death knell...

Indeed, unless he knows he's already gone? Speaking out against Ferrari is a bit of a death knell...

If it was anyone but Kimi you might have a point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

So it seems, I wonder why that is though, given it's not like some of the aerodromes you see elsewhere? It seems to be boring for a reason I can't quite put my finger on...

Curent circuit is not a patch on the old Osterreichring.

Red Bull Ring:

rbring.jpg

Osterreichring 1977-1987:

ost7787.jpg

Just look at the corners of the Osterreichring compared to the Red Bull Ring.

Osterreichring footage.

If it was anyone but Kimi you might have a point :pac:

Ha, true enough. Though the tone seems to be changing lately, I get the feeling Kimi isn't enjoying F1 & probably hasn't been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭CFlat

Hopefully Vettel can mix it in with the mercs tomorrow. I was watching Riccarido being interviewed on BBC and he apologised to the fans for hoping it will rain tomorrow. Jez, I pray it rains at every race.

Rush is on C4 tonight at 9.00 BTW. I havn't seen it yet.

CFlat wrote: »
    Rush is on C4 tonight at 9.00 BTW. I havn't seen it yet.

Seen it in the cinema, really enjoyed it too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I can see Vettel taking pole, the Mercs aren't working right for some reason

so could Merc.
    Both Mervs should have their times disqualified.
    A Blind man could see through their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭T-Bird

probably gonna get crucified now but imo Kimi is awful lucky to be where he is. he picked up the scraps in 07 and won dc, he has a can't give a dam attitude, which is refreshing and brilliant hearing that from an f1 driver. But I can't help feeling if anyone else says or gives out the way he does, they would be hated by almost everyone..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Pretty awful attack on people in a square in Graz where man drove car at speed into crowd of people. Killed three and injured 30
    http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-33211479

vectra wrote: »
    so could Merc.
    Both Mervs should have their times disqualified.
    A Blind man could see through their game.

Did they spoil a timed lap by Vettel? Was he purple at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,035 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Both support races dry this morning
    Seemed to be a bit a little bit of rain starting at end of gp2 race

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Did they spoil a timed lap by Vettel? Was he purple at the time?

You think they went off by accident?
    You think they knew how he was going?
    You think Hamilton knew Rosberg was not going to claim pole?
    You think Hamilton did not get a flashback of Monaco 2014?

CIBMuO6WoAAuMgN.jpg
    CIBMqfoWcAEwT9j.jpg
    CIBNQtsWcAAH3XA.jpg
    CIBR28hUsAA159-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Austrian national anthem sounds like the scene transition music from Family Guy.

Also, Toto Wolff should be the Terminator in the new reboot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Larbre34 wrote: »
    The Austrian national anthem sounds like the scene transition music from Family Guy.

Also, Toto Wolff should be the Terminator in the new reboot.

The Totonator

LWffrAB.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Top 3 finish for Massa today would be sweet :)

Alonso and raikkonen out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,821 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

WTF happened there?!

Advertisement