Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone been for a swim yet?

Options
  • 18-06-2015 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone been for an outdoor swim yet? lake or sea

whats the water like.....cold?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

The sea was bloody freezing, but it was a grey day so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Considering I can't swim? No

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was in it in April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

It's always freezing. You go on the hottest day of the year and it's still cold. A wetsuit is your only man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

It's always freezing. You go on the hottest day of the year and it's still cold. A wetsuit is your only man :D

Just take a bath. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭PandaPoo

We found a really nice relatively secluded little beach near the house. Hoping to get in for a swim at the weekend.

We're looking into buying wetsuits, the 5 year old would get in the sea in the middle of winter though

They will be taxing us for the sea next! May as well take a bath!

I was.

About 3 years back. 'Twas lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I was recently, the water was wet

PandaPoo wrote: »
    We're looking into buying wetsuits, the 5 year old would get in the sea in the middle of winter though

Don't you miss being that carefree :-)??

On the other hand ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Aye, on the hottest day of last year I went for a dip in Portmarnock and it was ice cold, take your breath away.

Is there are a record kept of water temperature in different beaches around Ireland?

When and where has had the hottest if so.

And don't say the heated pool in the Westwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Yes was swimming last week and water is lovely..
    ...Was in Croatia mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

May bank holiday weekend in the rain....sure I was gonna get wet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

The only thing I miss not living in Dublin anymore,

The 40 foot and the first swim of the summer, used to love heading there after work on days like today!

Aaahhh. Sigh........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Was in at the 40 foot today, it was freezing! Didn't stop hordes of young folk flinging themselves in though.

Best time for swimming in the Irish Sea is late September.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Yep, first lake swim of the Summer last Saturday. 21c temp and diving boards abound. Great pick me up from a slight hangover and plenty of milfs floating about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Just keep pissing yourself while in for a swim and you'll never be cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I have been in a few times. It's a bit refreshing at the moment alright. We are lucky enough to live walking distance to our local beach so swim 7 days a week normally during the summer after work.

Is there are a record kept of water temperature in different beaches around Ireland?

I use this site

At the moment temperatures are nearly a degree below average.

Was in the Atlantic Ocean today, surfing mind so a wetsuit meant I was warm!

I swam in the Irish Sea in March, was cold but refreshing!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TomBtheGoat

The same here, you can swim at your leisure with the oul wetsuit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Take the dog for a swim in the lake most fine days - you wouldn't call it tropical.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Take the dog for a swim in the lake most fine days - you wouldn't call it tropical.

Tropical would be a daft name for a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I was swimming the other day..in Sicily! Was so nice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Water temperature is warmer here in November than it is in June, doesn't really warm up until mid July.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was out last week at the Ladies Pond at Hampstead Heath, water 17c ish. Happy enough with that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

Did swim in seapoint last weekend. 40 mins in total. First time swimming non wetsuit. Very cold. Got hyperthermia. Body temperature went below 34 degrees. Uncontrolled shivering. Eventually warmed back up.

Water temperature is warmer here in November than it is in June, doesn't really warm up until mid July.

Oh I was up your way I think! Maybe not all the way that way but I was surfing off the Donegal Coast!

I miss being a child and going for the first swim of the summer. You always expect it to be warm, but as you run in full of excitement you realize that no, nope, you were wrong, and the water is so cold that you're sure your feet have fallen off.

Yet you're brave and you keep going, deeper, with the water getting up to your knees and you think you're doing fine, this isn't too bad, I can cope.. And then the water reaches crotch height and it feels like nothing else could ever be as shocking.

Anyway, no, not yet.

Sure, the water wouldn't have been blessed by the priest yet. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

A lot of people also don't seem to realise that during warm weather, sea temperatures are usually warmer in the evening. 7:00pm is a better time to go for a swim than say 2:00pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Went out swimming last Sunday.....had a shorty wets suit....kids went out in their shorts.......i felt like a wuss...........the kids dont need a wetsuit but poor old dad does.......the shame :o altho while they were freezing i was fine so ha that will show em.......:D

Advertisement