Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP 260 G1 Mini PC €137

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The 32gb SSD is very quick to boot - but you cannot store a lot on it, so anything I play is streamed. My plan is to add a second larger SSD later in the year, 250gb or so.

Assuming the HDD is 7200rpm you should not notice too much difference with the speed of playback (I think).

I'm using 6gb RAM, I don't think there is any point in adding more with that processor and the tasks you would use it for (Kodi, video playback etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

The 32gb SSD is very quick to boot - but you cannot store a lot on it, so anything I play is streamed. My plan is to add a second larger SSD later in the year, 250gb or so.

Assuming the HDD is 7200rpm you should not notice too much difference with the speed of playback (I think).

I'm using 6gb RAM, I don't think there is any point in adding more with that processor and the tasks you would use it for (Kodi, video playback etc.)

So, at €165 for 32GB SSD + 4GB RAM it is still a very good value option for a HTPC? Everything I would play from it would be with an external HDD 3.0 plugged in full-time.

If you are playing from external HD, it may be better (quicker) to buy the 500gb HDD version and transfer your media to that. Not sure if the SATA or USB 3 connection is quicker, someone else may know

If you are playing from external HD, it may be better (quicker) to buy the 500gb HDD version and transfer your media to that. Not sure if the SATA or USB 3 connection is quicker, someone else may know

But if I want good boot-up speeds, should the SSD be the one to get? I won't be saving anything to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Techmaster wrote: »
    €160 delivered to Ireland, from Germany - 500GB HDD version.

Much of a difference? Or is the 32GB SSD option the better one to get? For Kodi/1080p playback locally.

Just to note, this comes with FreeDOS.. not Windows like the OP

• Advertisement

kungfual wrote: »
    Just to note, this comes with FreeDOS.. not Windows like the OP

Ah. Dealbreaker so - I went with the 4GB RAM/32GB SSD/Windows 10 Pro upgraded model from eBay for €165 delivered. Good price still considering I also have another free RAM slot as the seller replaced the 2GB card with a 4GB one. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭davidom2513

Techmaster wrote: »
    Ah. Dealbreaker so - I went with the 4GB RAM/32GB SSD/Windows 10 Pro upgraded model from eBay for €165 delivered. Good price still considering I also have another free RAM slot as the seller replaced the 2GB card with a 4GB one. :)

Link for ebay one?

Or is it just the one the seller has up for sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kungfual

Think I'll go with a Gigabyte Brix GB-BXBT-1900

Link for ebay one?

Or is it just the one the seller has up for sale?

One seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Well it has arrived!!!
    Will set it up over the weekend!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Anybody upgrade to Windows 10?

I need Remote Desktop enabled, I take it works with Windows 10?

Because Remote Desktop isn't enabled with Windows 8 with Bing which is the OS it came with...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Windows 10 works great on it. You will need a USB stick with (I think) 10GB free to provide some temp storage during the installation.

Windows 10 works great on it. You will need a USB stick with (I think) 10GB free to provide some temp storage during the installation.
    Even if you have nothing else installed?

Even if you have nothing else installed?

Yes AFAIK. It insists on keeping the Old.Windows in case you want to revert back. So until you clean up the old one, it is taking up the space of two Windows installations.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mccard

Dont really see the point of upgrading to 10.

8.1 works a treat for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

mccard wrote: »

That gobbles batteries and the gyro is a bit awkward (on Android boxes at least) ... Logitech are still selling the excellent K400 for £17.50 - (select UK layout) after adding to cart ... click close window for free shipping.

Horses for courses I guess. I have used the K400 in the past and found it frustrating.

Also, the gyro works great on Windows. Android is a bit awkward alright.

I also don't have any issues with batteries. I use it extensively and get months out of them.

PM me if you are interested in buying my HP 260 G1 at cost price. 4GB ram / 32gb ssd / win10 pro plus an extra ram slot too. Keyboard and mouse are sealed, everything like new. Can use parcel motel if you want for cheap postage. Will also include a brand new 3meter display port to HDMI cable!!

Anyone else having issues with the display port? If I have the PC connected to the TV and running all is good. However, if I change the input to, say, the sky box and then go back to the PC later the connection is gone. It changes from blank black screen to grainy static hissing. If I reconnect the display port it fixes it. Sometimes I have to reconnect multiple times.

Annoying as ****.

Anyone else?

• Advertisement

Anyone else having issues with the display port? If I have the PC connected to the TV and running all is good. However, if I change the input to, say, the sky box and then go back to the PC later the connection is gone. It changes from blank black screen to grainy static hissing. If I reconnect the display port it fixes it. Sometimes I have to reconnect multiple times.

Annoying as ****.

Anyone else?

I have the same issue. I gave up and now connect by VGA and audio cable (which works fine)

I have not seen this problem mentioned anywhere else. This forum has loads of info on our box: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229668

It does mention an issue with HDMI adapters where they don't work unless another HDMI device is also plugged into the TV

Yeah have a few HDMIs connected. I wonder if we just got a dud cable. Might give another a go. Cant find anything on the internet.

Connecting VGA is a huge step down in audio / video quality, no?

Yeah have a few HDMIs connected. I wonder if we just got a dud cable. Might give another a go. Cant find anything on the internet.

Connecting VGA is a huge step down in audio / video quality, no?

Works for me. (AIUI VGA is analog, not digital, but can still give very high resolution depending on the TV, cable etc)

Can you link what cable you are using for VGA?

Also I have notieced when changing from sky box back to PC, if you minimise back to the desktop before doing so it connects more often than not.

I am using a VGA cable that was literally lying around the house for years - I think it came with an old Dell monitor back in the late 90s so no help there, sorry. The TV I am using it with is a plasma 720 which is about 10 years old so I am not setting the bar very high on the high def stakes.

The Display Port to HDMI cable (not an adapter) I got from an EBay seller in Northern Ireland

Maybe that's the problem. I'm using a cable as well not an adapter.

Advertisement