Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How are you dressing your baby in this warmer weather?

Options
  • 16-06-2015 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

I'm always at a loss about layering clothes for baby. I still have him (8months) in a short sleeve vest under a long sleeve t shirt and normal trousers/ tracksuit bottoms. I'm trying to get lighter trousers for him now. I saw a much younger baby out today in a tee shirt and shorts. If going for a tee shirt, do you still put a vest on underneath? Do you always have a vest on baby throughout summer? I know its not exactly scorchio and can still be a bit cool in the shade.

At night I have ditched the fleece sleepsuit for a normal sleepsuit for the summer but still using the warmer sleeping bag 2.5tog. It doesn't feel warm enough for the lighter sleeping bags yet I do want some contrast before the weather gets very cold again. I still put a short sleeve vest on under the lighter baby gro tho. Again, do you always have a vest on baby thoughout summer at night time?

Sorry but I am such a novice. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Don't sweat the small stuff :) your baby will let you know if they're unhappy. Just keep checking periodically through the day and strip off layers or add more as needed. I find the short sleeve vests handy for that. You can take off the outer top if they get too hot and they can wear it as a tshirt, especially if they've nice pics on :)
    I actually need to get a lighter tog bag myself. I personally prefer to change the pjs as needed and use the lighter bag over the summer. That works for us though, it may not for you. You know best for your baby. Go easy on yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

73trix wrote: »
    <...>I saw a much younger baby out today in a tee shirt and shorts. <...>
    yeah... and then wonder why we have such a high prescription rate for antibiotics here...

I haven't a clue how to dress my 10mo either but I wouldn't let him outside without a hat that is covering his ears. Summer hasn't come here yet, I'm not in the rush to undress him or myself too much. long sleeves and cardigans all the way :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

It's between 16 and 20 degrees here the last few days. I'd much rather see a baby with lighter layers that could be added to/taken away as necessary. My little girl is older than your baby but last summer I would have her in short sleeves and a light cardigan if necessary. I'd probably have put a sleeveless or short sleeve vest on too. As for a hat, yes if it was sunny, for extra shade. At night she sleeps in a long sleeved vest and 1 tog or 2.5 tog bag(depending on the temperature in the house). In the winter she usually sleeps in a long sleeved vest and 2.5 tog grobag. If it's very cold we might add a cellular or footie pyjama pants. She's as healthy as a horse and has had nothing worse than a common cold. I think children sweltering in too many layers/heavy clothes musT be very uncomfortable for them. They won't be long letting you know if they are unhappy anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

We have a 10 week old, and our house is currently 21ish degrees which is very warm for it and warmer than recommended for babies. Today he's wearing a long sleeved vest with leggings, no vest, no socks. When we went out I put a blanket over him in the car seat. His feet are toasty warm, body a perfect temperature. If he's in a t shirt with no socks he gets a vest. At night he's wearing a sleepsuit with no vest, we swaddle him so I don't put a vest on him because I don't want him getting too warm. When I was putting vest and outfit on him and socks and the whole shebang he was incredibly frustrated and felt very warm to the touch, a hot body like his Dad.

We ditched cardigans and hats weeks ago unless it's been particularly cool or raining, much easier to put socks or blankets on a baby when out and warm them up than to cool them down in too many layers when strapped in wearing them. Overheating is more likely and more dangerous than not being warm enough, nobody is on the verge of being cold enough to cause damage at this time of year with insulated homes and frequent body contact, different if they were winter babies.

And slightly cool tootsies didn't ever have anyone end up on antibiotics. Pharmacist gave out to my friend for overdressing her baby last weekend, vest, long sleeve top, jeans, socks, and heat rash under it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

j@utis wrote: »
    yeah... and then wonder why we have such a high prescription rate for antibiotics here...

I haven't a clue how to dress my 10mo either but I wouldn't let him outside without a hat that is covering his ears. Summer hasn't come here yet, I'm not in the rush to undress him or myself too much. long sleeves and cardigans all the way :confused:

Hmm. I don't think bacteria come from temperature.... ;)

What's the deal on hat on ears? None of my kids ever wore a hat on their ears. I'm all about fresh air. It's positively tropical at the moment!

To answer the OP questions, I've my 15 month old in a short sleeve vert, a long sleeve dress and a pair of socks/shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Bubba is loving this weather! We are out a lot and I tend to have him in a short sleeve vest and long sleeve top or else a long sleeve vest under a short sleeve polo shirt. Yesterday he was wearing his little Bermudas and I put a blanket over him when chilly but had tracksuit bottoms and a bomber jacket in the buggy in case it turned chilly. I always just feel him periodically to make sure he's comfortable and keep a little sun hat on him if the sun is very strong but he's happy in his shorts these days. Am LOVING his little summer wardrobe!!!:)

Then at night, just a light long sleeve vest under a 1.5 grobag with our bedroom window open as our home is like a furnace otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Rule of thumb in my house is one layer more than an adult. So tee shirt and shorts, I'd have a vest under. Dress and tights with a vest and a cardigan for later in the evening..

She has a vest and babygro at night with a sleep bag, and about 20 blankets! :D I kid you not! 5 folded in 4. Any less she wakes up!

If you think they're cold, it's not hands or feet you go by, it's the back of their neck. Babies circulation is not as good as adults or even small kids,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

j@utis wrote: »

The cold can't make you sick.

cbyrd wrote: »
    If you think they're cold, it's not hands or feet you go by, it's the back of their neck. Babies circulation is not as good as adults or even small kids,

Yeah the amount of times when he was very teeny in April and we were out and about with him in cardigans and hats I'd check his hands and neck from time to time, hands would be nice and cool and neck would be toasty warm or nearly hot. Must be a nightmare going anywhere with winter babies, bundle them up for outside and then need to remove layers in too warm shops etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pwurple wrote: »
    Hmm. I don't think bacteria come from temperature.... ;)

What's the deal on hat on ears? None of my kids ever wore a hat on their ears. I'm all about fresh air. It's positively tropical at the moment!

To answer the OP questions, I've my 15 month old in a short sleeve vert, a long sleeve dress and a pair of socks/shoes.
    January wrote: »
    The cold can't make you sick.
    Actually there is some evidence that while lower body temperature doesn't CAUSE colds, it may make you more susceptible to them.

http://io9.com/does-being-cold-make-you-more-susceptible-to-catching-c-510314172

• Advertisement

Actually there is some evidence that while lower body temperature doesn't CAUSE colds, it may make you more susceptible to them.

http://io9.com/does-being-cold-make-you-more-susceptible-to-catching-c-510314172

A common cold won't need an antibiotic either.

Mine are boiling at the moment anyway. All that running around I suppose. They are balls of sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

A common cold won't need an antibiotic either.

Mine are boiling at the moment anyway. All that running around I suppose. They are balls of sweat.
    Oh I know colds don't need antibiotics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Merkin wrote: »
    Bubba is loving this weather! We are out a lot and I tend to have him in a short sleeve vest and long sleeve top or else a long sleeve vest under a short sleeve polo shirt. Yesterday he was wearing his little Bermudas and I put a blanket over him when chilly but had tracksuit bottoms and a bomber jacket in the buggy in case it turned chilly. I always just feel him periodically to make sure he's comfortable and keep a little sun hat on him if the sun is very strong but he's happy in his shorts these days. Am LOVING his little summer wardrobe!!!:)

Then at night, just a light long sleeve vest under a 1.5 grobag with our bedroom window open as our home is like a furnace otherwise.
    Slightly off topic - I just wanted to say I love when you post little updates. You sound so in love :)

kandr10 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic - I just wanted to say I love when you post little updates. You sound so in love :)

Awwww thank you, I am totally smitten :) Will send you a little pic by PM so you can see what a little sweetie he is!!xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

Tropical these notes so down to long sleeve vest and 1.5tog bag too. He debuted in shorts and t shirt today. Was so warm! Had layers just in case. Very cute but he's not keen on sun cream !!

73trix wrote: »
    Tropical these notes so down to long sleeve vest and 1.5tog bag too. He debuted in shorts and t shirt today. Was so warm! Had layers just in case. Very cute but he's not keen on sun cream !!

Which one do you use? I'm using the Nivea baby, it is very thick in consistency. I'm wondering if it's just that one or are they all like that?

Children's sun cream is supposed to be applied thickly and the white coating provides a block against the sun as well as the chemical protection. That's why they're thick and tough to apply, makes it more difficult for it to come off and the layer of cream will be thick which is better.

I'm using a spray one, it's very easy to apply, 50+ UVA/UVB and no complaining out of them. They think it's hilarious when I spray with legs and arms... i spray it into my hand for face and ears.

http://www.mccabespharmacy.com/summer-sun/sun-protection/sun-protection-for-kids/garnier-ambre-solaire-kids-spray-resisto-swim-spf-50-200ml.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Our seven week old is sleeping in short sleeved vest, babygro and 1.5 tog gro bag as our bedroom is 21-22 degrees at the moment. A few weeks ago she was in long sleeved vest, babygro and 2.5 tog bag as it was 18 degrees in there at night.

Daytime she's either in babygro with short sleeved vest and blanket for transfer to car which Inthen take off or a little romper suit with sleeveless vest and socks. Only hat I'm putting on her these days is a sun hat if she's in the baby carrier

I've changed my mind on the sunscreen.

I was at a talk last night about skin. The professors and doctors there all said that the difference between factor 20 and factor 50 in terms of rays black was 99% blocked to 99.9% blocked. But the mechanism they do it was completely different. The factor 50 also blocks sweating, and forms a different barrier. They said they would advise factor 20, applied every 2 hours was enough to allow some vitamin d to be produced, without any sunburn.... instead of 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

That's very interesting Pwurple! Thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I was at a talk last night about skin. The professors and doctors there all said that the difference between factor 20 and factor 50 in terms of rays black was 99% blocked to 99.9% blocked. But the mechanism they do it was completely different. The factor 50 also blocks sweating, and forms a different barrier. They said they would advise factor 20, applied every 2 hours was enough to allow some vitamin d to be produced, without any sunburn.... instead of 50.

The potential problem here is that most people don't apply enough suncream to achieve the quoted factor. Suncreams are tested by applying a thick layer, leaving a white coating on the skin normally. A lot of us only use enough to get maybe half the factor. So 20 becomes 10 maybe.

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    The potential problem here is that most people don't apply enough suncream to achieve the quoted factor. Suncreams are tested by applying a thick layer, leaving a white coating on the skin normally. A lot of us only use enough to get maybe half the factor. So 20 becomes 10 maybe.

That's kinda the opposite of what they were saying though...

They were saying people slather it on way too thickly and use much too high a factor, so that you get sticky uncomfortable children with blocked sweat pores, instead of putting a thin layer on and reapplying frequently.

They said, if your children are not getting sunburnt, you're doing it right. No need to go overboard and mess up their vitamin d stores or sweat mechanisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

9 month DS is currently wearing short sleeve vest with short sleeve pajama top and shorts to bed, with a thin cellular blanket on top no socks. It was 21 degrees in his room. During the day he is in short sleeve vest and top and shorts or pants if it's not too warm. If it's a bit overcast or cool breeze, I put him in a long sleeve vest with pants. He has the warmest room and some nights it has been 23/24 degrees so I just put him in a short sleeve vest with light blanket or sleeping bag. I tried pajama without vest but he has dry patches on his stomach he would start to scratch and he would wake himself up.

However my DS has always run warm. Every baby is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I remember I tried baby gro minus vest one nite but it looked wrong so he always wears a vest be it long/ short at nite or short sleeve/ sleeveless under a tshirt during the day depending on how warm. Sometimes a long sleeved vest under tshirt.

Just to let you all know that my baby who has been going around with no vests, bare arms, legs and feet and one layer of clothes at night has heat rash. Triggered by a few hours yesterday where we had cuddles while he wore a sleeveless very light cotton vest under a little short playsuit and he got sweaty lying on me. I put the vest on as a poo barrier and because I doubted myself that the playsuit wouldn't be enough. He's a warm baby, roasting now lying in just his nappy.

Pharmacist said I had him dressed perfectly for this weather, bare feet with long or short sleeves and legs or no vest under onesie, no blanket during the day. He said the amount of overheated babies he sees in this weather wearing too much is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

No vests in our house at the moment for our 20 month old. She gets too hot. And definitely no tights! Can't get them on her - she knows what they do to her!!! Have to put pants or small shorts on under skirts/dresses to keep the nappy covered. And she'll just about wear socks.

At night, we are down to 2.5tog grobag and a nappy... and I'm still thinking of getting a lighter grobag cos she gets too warm sometimes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

I think I've the warmest child on the planet! He's 16mths and has just worn a baby grow to bed since the nice weather a few months ago. If it's been a warm day, it'll be short sleeves and legs, cool day, long sleeves and legs. His room is south facing so any sun really warms up his room. Can be 24 degrees some evenings. It'll be cooler when we are going to bed so I throw a cellular blanket on him then but he usually kicks it off. He's always roasting.

Daytime he hasn't worn vests in about 5 months. It's just jeans and a t shirt and if it's cool a jumper too. He always takes his socks off unless his shoes are there to keep them on! He'd happily run around in just a nappy I think!

We're down to a short-sleeve vest at night at the moment on our 15 month old, with nothing else. Reader is saying 24/25 at night as well... room is very warm. She's still roasting. Hair stuck to her head with the heat. I think they are so active at this age though. Sometimes it seems like she nearly runs a marathon in her sleep with all the moving around the cot. She's in a different corner of it any time I check.

Heat wave apparently due next week... I'd say we'll be nappy-only territory at night then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I've a four year old who suffers terribly with heat rash, so very interested to see this. Always thought 50 was what we should use so I'll definitely try the 25 now.
    She's in bed in pants and a vest at the moment with just a dress during the day.

My two year old is wearing a sleeveless best with a 1 tog sleeping bag at night, and usually a tahirt and shorts over the sleeveless vest at night.

Advertisement