Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of Tyres for Skoda Octavia Saloon.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

Respectfully how would you know?

Never crashed my car, been driving for years and years.

What a silly remark to make.

Dont attack the poster if you have nothing sensible to say :)

The point he made was not exactly made well, but the thrust of it is that the argument against cheap tyres is that most drivers will only understand when a tyre is cheap when they find themselves in the circumstances where a lot of drivers hopefully will never experience. Those circumstances would be heavy braking, emergency manoeuvres etc.

I am sad enough to test heavy braking and moderate acceleration from a stop before and after I get rubber changed and I have been shocked at early how lower quality tyres give up their grip on the road compared to mid-range rubber. Note that I am not talking price here.

As I said earlier, I would imagine that most drivers will not have to rely heavily on the upper limits of their tyres grip but the scary thing for me is that I have noticed a huge variance in the headroom between being in control and and overwhelming the rubber.

Those upper limit differences could explain why one tyre would cause under-steer more than another at normal driving conditions which is fine and rightly doesn't matter to a lot of people but you can't dismiss the upper limit issue because your below the limit driving has been fine.

One thing I am reminded of is another classic Motors tyre debate; Summer vs. Winter tyres. No need to get into that here but I bring it up as during my research into the debate, I saw a few videos where mid to high range brands were tested on a wet road at a certain temp. and the stopping distance differential was staggering.

It is an exceptionally simplistic to have an attitude that experience in one driving condition would dictate the performance of the same tyres in another condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

absolutley nothing

Oh. . .

Advertisement