Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost of Tyres for Skoda Octavia Saloon.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

what a load of nonsense

semperit are decent tyres. Ive had them before and drove in the wet (classic example :rolleyes: ) and they were just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Popoutman wrote: »
    Until you need to stop in the cold and wet in a hurry.... An extra few quid per corner for tyres that actually work when needed (not just supporting the weight of the car) is a hell of a lot cheaper then either a lot NCB or the mental anguish from knocking someone down.

The typical Irish gombeen attitude to buying "chape tyres" always annoys me as I have to share the road with these idiots that cannot physically stop in a hurry due to having crap tyres under their cars.

Moral of this post? Save up and get proper trusted tyres that are safe for the rest of us road users.

Shtall the digger there, chief! We're talking Semperit 225/55/R16 at ~€130 per corner, not Cheng Slime Plastic Specials. The equivalent Pirelli P6s were €180, and didn't so much wear out as unroll. You could do British Touring Car with 'em, but I don't need to! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I cant recommend budget tyres enough but Im in the minority
    Never had a bad experience in all the years with them on my car protecting me

have 4 zetex or something like that on at the moment. nice cheap and reliable
    Respectfully, that's because you haven't a clue about driving.

Respectfully how would you know?

Never crashed my car, been driving for years and years.

What a silly remark to make.

Dont attack the poster if you have nothing sensible to say :)

Don't back seat moderate! I didn't attack the poster, I attacked the poster's driving knowledge.

• Advertisement

Ill ask again as you seem to have difficulty understanding the question

"that's because you haven't a clue about driving."

is what you said. I am asking how would/do you know?

Hope you are able to understand this time around

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

jimgoose wrote: »
    Shtall the digger there, chief! We're talking Semperit 225/55/R16 at ~€130 per corner, not Cheng Slime Plastic Specials. The equivalent Pirelli P6s were €180, and didn't so much wear out as unroll. You could do British Touring Car with 'em, but I don't need to! :pac:

Just as to reinforce how completely nuts/pulling prices out of an arse Irish "brick and mortar" tire shops are, I paid the PZero's I have right now 135 each (225/50 R17 94W). Semperit, quoted from three different shops, were never below the 170 mark. Then you go somewhere else, and the prices swap around :confused:

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Just as to reinforce how completely nuts/pulling prices out of an arse Irish "brick and mortar" tire shops are, I paid the PZero's I have right now 135 each (225/50 R17 94W). Semperit, quoted from three different shops, were never below the 170 mark. Then you go somewhere else, and the prices swap around :confused:

Jaysis! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Don't back seat moderate! I didn't attack the poster, I attacked the poster's driving knowledge.

I wouldn't bother entertaining it tbh man...! Chinese tyres are wonderful apparently so no arguing there!

Zetexs would probably work well on a child's go kart though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I cant recommend budget tyres enough but Im in the minority
    Never had a bad experience in all the years with them on my car protecting me

have 4 zetex or something like that on at the moment. nice cheap and reliable

Do they even stay black when they get wet ?:eek:

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »
    I wouldn't bother entertaining it tbh man...! Chinese tyres are wonderful apparently so no arguing there!

Zetexs would probably work well on a child's go kart though.

what a silly statement to make. ignorance is bliss :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

what a load of nonsense

semperit are decent tyres. Ive had them before and drove in the wet (classic example :rolleyes: ) and they were just fine

Some Semperit are good, and some are really terrible, based both on personal experience and based on reviews. My point wasn's specific to your choice of tyre, more to the attitude of so much per corner cheaper, when it's obvious that most Irish drivers cannot do a good cost-benefit analysis, it's only the shortsighted view of the weight of the wallet after the transaction being the only criteria.

Pretty much all tyres will stop a car's rims touching the ground - which is what I read it as when you state "they were just fine". However, it's when you're on the edge of that tyres performance envelope when you see the real difference between cheap tyres and real tyres. And, no matter what you may think, drive long enough and you will have to reach the edge of that envelope when you have to brake in a hurry to save some idiot's life when they make a mistake. That's when you'll be really glad of having spent a few pennies extra to get decent tyre performance.

My recommendation for the OP's car? Get a decent set of top brand all-season tyres, and enjoy the longevity and grip in all Irish conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

what a silly statement to make. ignorance is bliss :)

Can't say I have tried Chinese tyres on a go kart alright....

Have driven many a car with them though of varying degrees, triangles, wanli, blacklion etc. all utterly crap in the wet, more or less fine in the dry, but dire when it rains, of which it does a lot here in case you weren't aware..:)

fair enough.

Just find it quite interesting that the following conclusions arise from cheap tyres

1) everyone has driven them, never bought themselves but the car they purchased had them.

This would lead me to believe they are very popular with the majority of irish motorists other than forum users ( of course)

2) Everyone has had a near death experience in them but never actually crashed or killed themselves

no comment :rolleyes:

3)stopping distance in the rain will be the make or break point when potentially plowing through an innocent bystander or stopping in time with 0.001mm to spare.

Perhaps just drive accordingly for the conditions and you will be able to brake just fine.

fair enough.

Just find it quite interesting that the following conclusions arise from cheap tyres

1) everyone has driven them, never bought themselves but the car they purchased had them.

This would lead me to believe they are very popular with the majority of irish motorists other than forum users ( of course)
    Popularity is nothing to do with quality. There are countless testaments to that.
    2) Everyone has had a near death experience in them but never actually crashed or killed themselves

no comment :rolleyes:
    So in order for one of us to have the opinion that brand x tyres are terrible, we must first have been killed in an accident caused by them?
    I see...
    An old rust-bucket Morris Marina with no brake fluid would be a death-trap.. I don't need to crash it to know that!
    3)stopping distance in the rain will be the make or break point when potentially plowing through an innocent bystander or stopping in time with 0.001mm to spare.

Perhaps just drive accordingly for the conditions and you will be able to brake just fine.
    Driving according to some conditions with some brands of plastic-fantastic tyres would mean driving everywhere at 50km/h. That's not good progress on national primary routes.
    Look, you clearly don't understand the dynamic properties of tyres and the way a car performs with them. That's fine. But don't try to p!ss on the arguements of others who might actually have a good idea of what they're talking about.
    The vast majority of drivers really don't have a proper clue what they're doing. A mate of mine (artic driver), was driving his car to work one morning in winter a couple of years ago. He said the roads were lethal, and was driving accordingly. Some young one in a fairly new car sailed out by him driving as normal. It was only pure luck that she was getting to where she was going, not that she might just happen to be Michelle Mouton. She had no clue of the conditions beneath her. Most people don't. They point the car in the general direction of intended travel and concentrate on something else until the destination arrives.

The first point I was making is if the cheap tyres are so popular then how come all these drivers are not skidding out of control all the time unlike the forummers who have experienced them?

Point 2, well taking it to the extreme a little but a minor crash would be enough to demonstrate

point 3 nothing whatsoever to back up your post, " the vast majority of drivers dont really have a proper clue"

yet you do, forummers do? I think that is a little bit patronising to other drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

hqdefault.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

To be honest Mc Love, this should have been a straight to video release. The previous 10 installments have really devalued the original movie's legacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Indeed - same old irish mentality :D and I know I posted on another thread looking for cheaper tyres but still being sensible :)

It is an irish mentality? Only people in ireland buy Cheap tyres? :eek:

More like fools and their money if we are going to go to the other extreme ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My folks were on holidays for the last few weeks so I stole the mother's Yaris for a while as we only have the one car at the moment.

She has put some cheap Chinese rubber on it and I could feel a difference since the last time I drove it. Steering was definitely more vague.
    And all for a saving of probably less than fifty quid.

And that's a Yaris, I dread to think what they'd be like on anything half decent.

I just put four new tyres on my own car. When calling around all the local tyre shops for prices, almost every one tried to sell me some cheapos. Advance Pitstop were actually doing a 4 for 3 offer on some mystery brands.

Is there a whopper profit margin on the Chinese stuff? I would have presumed a shop would try to push the more expensive brands rather than the cheap ones.

mailforkev wrote: »
    My folks were on holidays for the last few weeks so I stole the mother's Yaris for a while as we only have the one car at the moment.

She has put some cheap Chinese rubber on it and I could feel a difference since the last time I drove it. Steering was definitely more vague.
    And all for a saving of probably less than fifty quid.

And that's a Yaris, I dread to think what they'd be like on anything half decent.

I just put four new tyres on my own car. When calling around all the local tyre shops for prices, almost every one tried to sell me some cheapos. Advance Pitstop were actually doing a 4 for 3 offer on some mystery brands.

Is there a whopper profit margin on the Chinese stuff? I would have presumed a shop would try to push the more expensive brands rather than the cheap ones.
    There is actually more profit on the cheap muck. Fools and their money again!!

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    There is actually more profit on the cheap muck. Fools and their money again!!

and likewise we can equally say fools and their money again!! regarding to people who pay for expensive tyres

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

and likewise we can equally say fools and their money again!! regarding to people who pay for expensive tyres

Apart from cost, what do you think the differences are between cheap and premium brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Tyre threads...the just go round and round

Apart from cost, what do you think the differences are between cheap and premium brands?

absolutley nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

absolutley nothing

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

tossy wrote: »
    Tyre threads...the just go round and round
    That's treads you're thinking of :D

Alun wrote: »
    That's treads you're thinking of :D

Hah! I see what he did there!!

• Advertisement

absolutley nothing
    Which proves my earlier point that you took offence to.

Advertisement