Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When does Summer start?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

fryup wrote: »
    anyone been for an outdoor swim yet?? sea or lake

seems chilly

Lake swim here last week, water a relatively pleasant 17c. Not in the absolute "I'm going to die without my wetsuit" stage any more. :)

I'm of the "summer starts in June" persuasion tbh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some people seem to be taking this a bit seriously..

I personally like the Irish system, as it's culturally and astronomically based. If I want to speak of the meteorological summer I will refer to it as so, and anyway the phenology is always changing so the start of summer will change each year

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Some people seem to be taking this a bit seriously..

I personally like the Irish system, as it's culturally and astronomically based. If I want to speak of the meteorological summer I will refer to it as so, and anyway the phenology is always changing so the start of summer will change each year

The Irish system though is not a system, it's based on aincient ideas that no longer apply.

There is just no way that February is not Winter and August is not Summer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

murpho999 wrote: »
    The Irish system though is not a system, it's based on aincient ideas that no longer apply.

There is just no way that February is not Winter and August is not Summer.
    Meh, it makes more sense than saying that spring begins on march 1st for meteorological reasons, which is ridiculous

edit: which is why I prefer to say meteorological spring instead

Meh, it makes more sense than saying that spring begins on march 1st for meteorological reasons, which is ridiculous

No just simply Spring begins in March.

No need to add the the meteorological part.

Why people think the Irish "system" is right and all the other countries with a Northern Hemisphere seasons are wrong is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Where outside Ireland people say "Spring".

I said meteorologists think summer began in June 21st. In fact that's atronomical seasons, most meteorologists say June ( although not in the
    U.S. where the season starts with the solistice).

If you think warmth rather than length of day September edges out May significantly in Ireland. The warmest months are June, July, August and September with highs in September on average the same as June.

No just simply Spring begins in March.

No need to add the the meteorological part.

Why people think the Irish "system" is right and all the other countries with a Northern Hemisphere seasons are wrong is beyond me.

The irish one just makes more sense. Like how can February be in winter, it's definitely spring or how can November not be winter?

The irish one just makes more sense. Like how can February be in winter, it's definitely spring or how can November not be winter?

Because they're not.

That's why February's are still cold etc (colder than November).

How can August and September not be Summer when it's often the best weather of the year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭billythefish99

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Feast of St. Brigid’s, 1st February, marks the start of spring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Public_Enema

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    When does Summer start?

Start? Some years it never even shows up.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Senna wrote: »
    To everyone who says February is Spring, is this just because you were told that in school or do you think it makes sense?
    I say February is spring, because it makes sense.

Seasons aren't based on the weather - it's too variable here for that. They're based on the grand aul stretch in the evening (or lack thereof). So it stands to reason the mid-point of the seasons should be the equinox/solstice. As per the wiki link posted just above.

November clearly isn't autumn. August the evenings visibly start to shorten, so it's clearly the start of autumn, and so on.

In the US, the seasons start on the equinox/solstice, which is just weird.

And of course in other parts of the world, there don't really do winter/spring/summer/autumn - it's either raining or not. So clearly we don't need to be bound by what everyone else is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Last year it was still quite mild in November so I look at it like this.

Autumn: Sep, Oct, Nov
    Winter: Dec, Jan, Feb
    Spring: Mar, Apr, May
    Summer: June, July, Aug

May can't be summer it is all exams and study for the LC.. summer starts June when LC finishes and when the students starts the 3 months of their J1.

PLL wrote: »
    May can't be summer it is all exams
    You might even say - summer exams? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Seasonal lag explains why using the Gaelic Calender to define the seasons is, quite simply, wrong.
    Just because ye were taught it in school, lads, doesn't mean that it's true.

It doesn't explain why the Irish calendar is wrong because the Irish calendar is based on length of day, not temperature...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's only recently I realised Ireland was unusual in thinking summer starts in May, rest of the northern hemisphere goes with June. Makes sense as well tbh, August is generally warmer than May.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I guess it depends on what you go with: what you've been taught or what makes more sense to you.

1st of February as Spring seems bizarre to me. It's still winter at that stage, and will be well into March.

June is summer to me - May just seems like late Spring.

Over the last few years actually, it's just continued to be kinda wintry right into May - it hasn't really felt like there was any Spring.

August as autumn seems ludicrous. Even the first half of September can be very summery.

I wouldn't consider November autumn though - that's very much winter IMO. Some of October seems like winter to me also.
    Autumn is a short window I think - mid September to mid October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

When I go topless. Then YOU KNOW it's summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

When I go topless. Then YOU KNOW it's summer.

Ireland only has two and a half seasons. A windy, rainy, sort of cold/mild season - Nov - Apr (-2C to 10 C)

A warmer, less windy, still a rainy season - May - early Sep (10C to 25C)

Mid Sep to end of Oct, still too much rain (10C - 15C)

If going by the standard seasons it is:

Dec - Jan - Feb - Winter
    Mar - Apr - May - Spring
    June - July - Aug - Summer
    Sep - Oct - Nov - Autumn

• Advertisement

Seasonal lag explains why using the Gaelic Calender to define the seasons is, quite simply, wrong.
    Just because ye were taught it in school, lads, doesn't mean that it's true.

The calendar has nothing to do with temperature. The middle of summer is the longest day of the year, the middle of winter is the shortest day of the year. Makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Seasonally spring starts on March 21st
    Summer June 21st
    Autumn September 21st
    Winter December 21st

Calendarwise, spring Feb Mar Apr
    Summer, may June July,
    Autumn, August September October
    Winter, November December January.

cdeb wrote: »
    I say February is spring, because it makes sense.

Seasons aren't based on the weather - it's too variable here for that. They're based on the grand aul stretch in the evening (or lack thereof). So it stands to reason the mid-point of the seasons should be the equinox/solstice. As per the wiki link posted just above.

November clearly isn't autumn. August the evenings visibly start to shorten, so it's clearly the start of autumn, and so on.

In the US, the seasons start on the equinox/solstice, which is just weird.

And of course in other parts of the world, there don't really do winter/spring/summer/autumn - it's either raining or not. So clearly we don't need to be bound by what everyone else is doing.

Seriously, you think that seasons are not based on weather? So do we get snow in August which is Autumn according to you or heatwaves in February which is Spring , of course we don't.

Our weather is not that variable, despite arguments here that we don't have much difference in seasons we do.

It's noticeable with crops, plants, migratory birds etc.

Ireland has 4 distinct seasons as we are in the temperate part of the world that has it. Other places that just have wet or dry are in the tropics, so it's a poor comparison.

Basing it on the "stretch of the evening" is looking at the system the wrong way.

I also find it amazing that only people in Ireland think this way and apparently all other countries are wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭GreaseGunner

Spring: March April
    Summer: May June July August.
    Autumn: September October November
    Winter: December January February

That's my own personal calendar. Changes every year with the weather but I like to think that the summer isn't truly over on August 31st :D

I also find it amazing that only people in Ireland think this way and apparently all other countries are wrong on this.
    What difference does it make?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

kfallon wrote: »
    About 4 o'clock today!

And be quick , it'll be over by 7:39 !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

The calendar has nothing to do with temperature. The middle of summer is the longest day of the year, the middle of winter is the shortest day of the year. Makes perfect sense.

Only if you didn't bother to read about seasonal lag.
    What difference does it make?

This reminds me of the joke about the mammy who went to watch her son march in a parade.
    "How did he do?", she was asked later. "Great!", says she, "But all the other lads were out of step. Every single one of them."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Kalman

Summer begins with the summer solstice on Sunday, June 21, 2015 [The longest day]

Nobody in the rest of the world believes this. Maybe it's because Ireland has mild winters but of course in most places in the NH mid to late jan and early February is the coldest time of the year. Snow is on the ground.

Temperature is what matters when we are defining seasons.

• Advertisement

Kalman wrote: »
    Summer begins with the summer solstice on Sunday, June 21, 2015 [The longest day]

That's not generally accepted by Metreologists although it is astronomical summer. That said from the 21st June to 21st sept is most definitely the warmest part of the year. September is warmer than may.

Advertisement