Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backs to the wall....

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Now that would have been ironic!

For some reason I see him as more a power bottom...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

In school we used to say "Bums to the ground, father Murphy's around". But of course, that was a slur on the clergy, rather than gay people.

I think if we spent more time slurring the clergy, and less time on gay people, the world would be a slightly better place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

But sure any fella who played sports growing up or who still plays has heard gay jokes in dressing room banter.

My point exactly it's 'expected', if it was a gay man making the joke then it would be unexpected therefore funny. Sometimes the joke isn't or the context isn't important it is who says it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

robp wrote: »
    Kennedy has to be called out for his ridiculous attempts to find offence in harmless jokes. Its backward. Even if Healy's comment was offensive (which it wasn't) there is no right to not be offended.

To follow your logic its alright to 'call out' Kennedy for criticising Healy's post, but not okay for Kennedy to 'call out' Healy's post. That doesn't make sense and it seems like a bizarre double standard. And you are right there is no right not to be offended, Kennedy's post certainly didn't suggest that either, it simply expressed disappointment that Healy would post such a brain dead 'joke'.
    But sure any fella who played sports growing up or who still plays has heard gay jokes in dressing room banter.

True enough, and many gay people abandon the sports they love because of those locker room 'jokes' and those who stay often stay locked in their sad closets for years think Donal Og.
    Ah get-out with that role model trotted out as an excuse to fire people or witch hunt. I have no idea who this fell is for one. Why would children be on Twitter ones of an age that need protecting ? Maybe try parenting ?

Have I called for him to be fired, can you smell the burning stake? Calm down. You may not know who he is but plenty of others do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

To follow your logic its alright to 'call out' Kennedy for criticising Healy's post, but not okay for Kennedy to 'call out' Healy's post. That doesn't make sense and it seems like a bizarre double standard. And you are right there is no right not to be offended, Kennedy's post certainly didn't suggest that either, it simply expressed disappointment that Healy would post such a brain dead 'joke'.

True enough, and many gay people abandon the sports they love because of those locker room 'jokes' and those who stay often stay locked in their sad closets for years think Donal Og.

Have I called for him to be fired, can you smell the burning stake? Calm down. You may not know who he is but plenty of others do.

Why are children/youngsters on twitter then that need protecting from this role model comments. Oh wait they should not be and would have no idea about these comments.

• Advertisement

Why are children/youngsters on twitter then that need protecting from this role model comments. Oh wait they should not be and would have no idea about these comments.

Plenty of teens are on twitter, that is typically the most vulnerable time for gay youth.

Plenty of teens are on twitter, that is typically the most vulnerable time for gay youth.

Ah right so how do people plan on protecting people from the real world and other parts of the internet if they are so vulnerable ?

Ah right so how do people plan on protecting people from the real world and other parts of the internet if they are so vulnerable ?

I am not calling for cotton wool, or bubble wrapping people. I just think Healy could have you know not made the most cliched tired joke ever especially as it equates gay men with rapists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

I am not calling for cotton wool, or bubble wrapping people. I just think Healy could have you know not made the most cliched tired joke ever especially as it equates gay men with rapists.

he shouldn't be worried anyway... nobody would go near him or his little flat arse. tiny man, minger. it's always the mingers that think they're in "danger" from the gays isnt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

I'd say it's a bit cringe at worst. But there are a few poster's here who evidently have little of importance in real life to worry about if they're conflating a casual joke with promoting a stereotype of anal rape and promiscuity amongst all Gay men. :confused:

If you don't find it funny (like myself)... fine. But the self satisfied, victim mentality of some people is desperate. The reactionary threads of these type of stories are worth it though. Watching fully grown adults lose their rationale over silly subjective humor. Hooray for ignorant banter !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭semionova

It is ignorant banter. I would have imagined he would be embarrassed about it now.

It's well over though. And though stupid and asinine as it was it was merely ONE example of bullying that gay kids or people go through. It's a bigger issue than one man and one man can't be held accountable for the whole issue.

MR Rugby person whoever you are (sorry don't mean to be rude) you were stupid. End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I'd say it's a bit cringe at worst. But there are a few poster's here who evidently have little of importance in real life to worry about if they're conflating a casual joke with promoting a stereotype of anal rape and promiscuity amongst all Gay men. :confused:

If you don't find it funny (like myself)... fine. But the self satisfied, victim mentality of some people is desperate. The reactionary threads of these type of stories are worth it though. Watching fully grown adults lose their rationale over silly subjective humor. Hooray for ignorant banter !!
    If you actually bother to read through the thread, you will find that while a lot of posters initially cited the tweet as simply quite stupid and in poor taste due to the negative stereotyping of gay men...the self satisfied, victim mentality you describe was in fact a major constant in the posts by users complaining about political correctness, social justice warriors etc. and who were defending Cian Healy's right to tell a joke, while at the same time incensed that those saying it was in poor taste were exerting their right to criticize the joke. They were the the only ones in this thread attempting to silence discussion, and probably would prefer a world where things they hold to be sacred are not allowed to be discussed, god forbid, critiqued and ridiculed. And now they have the perfect tools to try and make this possible, while at the same time getting a dig in at the pesky liberals - simply wail brigade, sjws blah blah blah wah wah wah

K4t wrote: »
    If you actually bother to read through the thread, you will find that while a lot of posters initially cited the tweet as simply quite stupid and in poor taste due to the negative stereotyping of gay men...the self satisfied, victim mentality you describe was in fact a major constant in the posts by users complaining about political correctness, social justice warriors etc. and who were defending Cian Healy's right to tell a joke, while at the same time incensed that those saying it was in poor taste were exerting their right to criticize the joke. They were the the only ones in this thread attempting to silence discussion, and probably would prefer a world where things they hold to be sacred are not allowed to be discussed, god forbid, critiqued and ridiculed. And now they have the perfect tools to try and make this possible, while at the same time getting a dig in at the pesky liberals - simply wail brigade, sjws blah blah blah wah wah wah

I have read through the thread. While I wouldn't be a fan of SJW and PC brigade reactions, the parallels drawn between an old man in the pub joke and portraying gay men as promiscuous rapists with some sprinkles of sarcastic chastisement is a bit much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Was I the only one that didn't -get- the joke first time around?

Time and place and all that. It's a bit dumb to tweet stuff to a large audience that you know is risque if someone doesn't know you and know you're not anti-whatever. Stuff you say to a close group of mates isn't necessarily something you tell the world.

Honestly, it's amazing that that even needs to be said, but there's times people are just idiots with social media.

I have read through the thread. While I wouldn't be a fan of SJW and PC brigade reactions, the parallels drawn between an old man in the pub joke and portraying gay men as promiscuous rapists with some sprinkles of sarcastic chastisement is a bit much

The premise of the joke is that straight men aren't safe around gay men.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A premise so absurd it's comical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

He should go to prison for this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

In school we used to say "Bums to the ground, father Murphy's around". But of course, that was a slur on the clergy, rather than gay people.

I think if we spent more time slurring the clergy, and less time on gay people, the world would be a slightly better place.

That's hilarious :) I burst out laughing :D

Honestly, I think 99% of us aren't that thick that we would construe such a joke with that kind of paranoia.

Honestly, I think 99% of us aren't that thick that we would construe such a joke with that kind of paranoia.

But but but, People have a right to be offended for other people... How do we show how progressive we are without getting outraged at every opportunity ?

• Advertisement

So what then is the basis of the joke? If an alternative exists I am more than prepaired to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Are people still outraged over this?

Are people still outraged over this?

Only the people pretending anyone was going to get fired/be arrested/be the victim of a witchhunt. Those people definitely still have their non cross dressing panties in a twist.

So what then is the basis of the joke? If an alternative exists I am more than prepaired to hear it.

This is starting to sound like a tribunal almost. As if a joke needs to be justified and accepted and meet all etiquette standards. Cian made a silly, nonchalant remark in a tweet. A joke doesn't have to have some cryptic, hidden meaning behind it. I dunno. Perhaps he was jokingly remarking about a straight man attending an event with men who might give him unwanted attention due to differences in sexuality. A load of bluster over nothing really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

If he wasn't a rugby chase-ball-man there would be more uproar about this. But he does a sport good so no one in Ireland cares about him saying ****ty things.

Advertisement