Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

backs to the wall....

Options

Comments

trolls gonna troll
    Right, and ordinary people are going to criticise trolls. Nobody likes seeing a person being called a homophobe or be accused of "promoting hatred" for a harmless comment, especially on boards.ie
    By the way your defending freedom of speech and the freedom of a privileged individual to make a joke implying that all gay men are rapists to be logically consistent you have to defend the right of others to say that same individual is a dick.
    Nobody is denying the idiots' right to publicly demonstrate their own stupidity.
    Oh well sorry mastah I'll do betta next time I surely will
    Good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Right, and ordinary people are going to criticise trolls. Nobody likes seeing a person being called a homophobe or be accused of "promoting hatred" for a harmless comment, especially on boards.ie

So you acknowledge you slurred Kennedy? Who knoes if its harmless? Joking about gay men being rapists might very well be harmful, not to a bruiser like me but to more vulnerable gay people including teens who look to the likes of Healy.
    Nobody is denying the idiots' rights to publicly demonstrate their own stupidity.

Exactly right, glad you agree with me. Healy is free to demonstrate just what a moron he is. Cheers.
    Good.

You straight cause I am feeling the rape urge.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Idiotic comment.

He'll be apologising shortly, I've no doubt.

I really hope not.

People need to look more at folk's actions, rather than just their words. Especially when the words in this instance are obviously a joke.

Some people love to be outraged, I'm convinced. Its almost like if they can get on the high horse for a little while, it distracts them from their own faults, or something.

Others just don't get humour. Like, not even a little bit.

Knex. wrote: »
    Others just don't get humour. Like, not even a little bit.

Yeah like the people who think #backstothewall is funny. Seriously since when were insults thrown around by juvenile school boys considered humour?

Yeah like the people who think #backstothewall is funny. Seriously since when were insults thrown around by juvenile school boys considered humour?

Its completely lighthearted. Its only an insult if you really contrive to make it be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Feels to me like a coping mechanism some lads have. 'Oh heading to an LGBT event better make it crystal clear that I don't like bumsex!'. It's hardly offensive but it comes off as a bit insecure IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I can't believe anyone cares about this comment.

Its completely lighthearted. Its only an insult if you really contrive to make it be.

I know that Cian Healy isn't a homophobe (for the n'th time on this thread)

but isn't only an insult if one contrives it to be. It is an insult regularly used to abuse gay people in particularly young gay men in secondary school and very often in sports setting.

I get that Healy was saying it in jest but that doesn't mean that it doesn't have negative consequences and in particular for those possible vulnerable youth who look up to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

It's the context. He's a straight man at a gay event. It's not an insult, it's having a laugh. He's actually making himself the butt (no pun intended) of his own joke.

It's the context. He's a straight man at a gay event. It's not an insult, it's having a laugh. He's actually making himself the butt (no pun intended) of his own joke.

What is funny about it?

• Advertisement

elfy4eva wrote: »
    Feels to me like a coping mechanism some lads have. 'Oh heading to an LGBT event better make it crystal clear that I don't like bumsex!'. It's hardly offensive but it comes off as a bit insecure IMO.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was something in that.

Also, as a guy, I believe you learn from an early age to be self deprecating about the stuff that people want to use against you, be it hair colour, a big nose, a lisp, being dyslexic, anything that people might poke fun at.

Maybe its backwards and as society progresses this will be phased out, I don't know, but I definitely think its in our culture. When you laugh at yourself, its not really possible for people to use these things as a mechanism to put you down. Least that's what I subconsciously picked up during my time in school.

So yeah, maybe your point is some sort of continuation of the above.

Regardless, I think its all a load of nothing.

Joking about gay men being rapists might very well be harmful, not to a bruiser like me
    "Bruisers" like you are the top posters in this thread, getting your knickers in a knot and feeling the compulsion to respond to anyone who disagrees this comment is "harmful"

Wouldn't be surprised if there was something in that.

Also, as a guy, I believe you learn from an early age to be self deprecating about the stuff that people want to use against you, be it hair colour, a big nose, a lisp, being dyslexic, anything that people might poke fun at.

Maybe its backwards and as society progresses this will be phased out, I don't know, but I definitely think its in our culture. When you laugh at yourself, its not really possible for people to use these things as a mechanism to put you down. Least that's what I subconsciously picked up during my time in school.

So yeah, maybe your point is some sort of continuation of the above.

Regardless, I think its all a load of nothing.

He wasn't making fun of himself. He was making fun of gay people. Significant difference. Unless you know something about Cian that I don't in which case do you have his number cause I'd like to have his back some place other than the wall.

What is funny about it?

He's playing up the fears of many straight men when they're at a pop concert of an artist popular amongst gay men, or a musical etc. He's not going to have a career in stand up after he retires from rugby but he has a sense of humour.

He's playing up the fears of many straight men when they're at a pop concert of an artist popular amongst gay men, or a musical etc. He's not going to have a career in stand up after he retires from rugby but he has a sense of humour.

LoLgasm, and you my friend have a sense of humour far greater than his judging by that post.

Whats that fear? That you'll be raped. oh right cool beans.

Any one up for some light hearted n*gger jokes? How about Cian posts a few jokes about how black men are dumb, criminals who like raping white women. Come on now its all fair in humour. How about a couple of jokes about how all muzzies are terrorists.

He wasn't making fun of himself. He was making fun of gay people. Significant difference. Unless you know something about Cian that I don't in which case do you have his number cause I'd like to have his back some place other than the wall.

I feel like you read the words in my post, but you completely missed the context or the point.

Not surprising, as its evident you're on a bit of a crusade about this in an attempt to make us all feel similarly outraged to an innocuous comment.

This doesn't set back gay rights, or the acceptance of gay people, in any tangible way. Everything gets poked fun at. Humour is a way of life, ingrained in our society.

I'd be more worried if people felt they couldn't make a joke about going to a Gay Pride event from an acceptance perspective.

Stop seeking offense from a place where it doesn't exist. For **** sake, the man went to a gay pride concert at the end of the day. He's hardly homophobic.

Any one up for some light hearted n*gger jokes? How about Cian posts a few jokes about how black men are dumb, criminals who like raping white women. Come on now its all fair in humour. How about a couple of jokes about how all muzzies are terrorists.

Next up, the insensitive nature of your job bridge user name. Blonde people being stupid, gingers have no soul, white people can't dance.

You're being ridiculously sensationalist to the point of which you're doing your own argument and cause absolutely no favour.

The issue really isn't that the topic can't be made fun of, its just that Cian Healy isn't exactly hilarious. You outraged at this?

Its hilarious!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

quit the trolling

I feel like you read the words in my post, but you completely missed the context or the point.

Not surprising, as its evident you're on a bit of a crusade about this in an attempt to make us all feel similarly outraged to an innocuous comment.

This doesn't set back gay rights, or the acceptance of gay people, in any tangible way. Everything gets poked fun at. Humour is a way of life, ingrained in our society.

You implied that it was a self deprecating joke. The joke was about gay people not 27 year old rugby players. So it was not self-deprecating unless he is gay.
    I'd be more worried if people felt they couldn't make a joke about going to a Gay Pride event from an acceptance perspective.

Stop seeking offense from a place where it doesn't exist. For **** sake, the man went to a gay pride concert at the end of the day. He's hardly homophobic.

FFS indeed...
    I don't imagine that Cian Healy is homophobic. His support during the marriage equality campaign, his attendance at a pride function etc would certainly indicate that he isn't.
    HEy Sound of Silence you might want to actually read the thread... in it you can see several examples of people saying that they don't think Cian Healy is a homophobe, including me. So stop getting your panties in a bunch over something no one is saying.
    I know that Cian Healy isn't a homophobe (for the n'th time on this thread)

• Advertisement

Next up, the insensitive nature of your job bridge user name. Blonde people being stupid, gingers have no soul, white people can't dance.

You're being ridiculously sensationalist to the point of which you're doing your own argument and cause absolutely no favour.

The issue really isn't that the topic can't be made fun of, its just that Cian Healy isn't exactly hilarious. You outraged at this?

Its hilarious!

I really don't want to be misunderstood (though I know I am making a good go of it in this thread!) I am all for comedians being as risque as they wish. I love Howard Stern, Lisa Lampanelli, Dice Clay, Frankie Boyle and Joan Rivers may she rest in plastic pieces etc.

They are comedians its their job. Comparing that to a tweet by a rugby star who is a role model to youngsters is not appropriate. In anycase I would never seek to stop Healy from being allowed to make any joke he wishes in fact its quite humours to see what he considers funny and watch him making an ass of himself. Its the hysterical reaction to the criticism that irritates me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Kennedy has to be called out for his ridiculous attempts to find offence in harmless jokes. Its backward. Even if Healy's comment was offensive (which it wasn't) there is no right to not be offended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

robp wrote: »
    Kennedy has to be called out for his ridiculous attempts to find offence in harmless jokes. Its backward. Even if Healy's comment was offensive (which it wasn't) there is no right to not be offended.

Offensiveness is a highly subjective thing though. So you can't really judge what's offensive and what isn't.

Some Australians for example may see Irish jokes as perfectly harmless but oddly enough Irish people often find them quite offensive.

It's an odd thing that whole subjectivity lark... People seeing things from completely different angles ... Who'd have ever thought such a thing could happen?!
    It's mad altogether !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Maybe i was offended about kennedys stupid song about a message

robp wrote: »

He's a cheek to call out Healy on that tweet. How long did he spend hiding in the closet? Not quite a gay role model. Funny how he only came out when his record sales were drying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

If the joke was made by a gay man then it would have been funny but by a rugby head who may or may not have dispensed that insult in his youth not so funny or unexpected IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

cloudatlas wrote: »
    If the joke was made by a gay man then it would have been funny but by a rugby head who may or may not have dispensed that insult in his youth not so funny or unexpected IMHO

But sure any fella who played sports growing up or who still plays has heard gay jokes in dressing room banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

#TopBanter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

efb wrote: »
    #TopBanter

Now that would have been ironic!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I really don't want to be misunderstood (though I know I am making a good go of it in this thread!) I am all for comedians being as risque as they wish. I love Howard Stern, Lisa Lampanelli, Dice Clay, Frankie Boyle and Joan Rivers may she rest in plastic pieces etc.

They are comedians its their job. Comparing that to a tweet by a rugby star who is a role model to youngsters is not appropriate. In anycase I would never seek to stop Healy from being allowed to make any joke he wishes in fact its quite humours to see what he considers funny and watch him making an ass of himself. Its the hysterical reaction to the criticism that irritates me.

Ah get-out with that role model trotted out as an excuse to fire people or witch hunt. I have no idea who this fell is for one. Why would children be on Twitter ones of an age that need protecting ? Maybe try parenting ?

Advertisement