Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1980s bungalow renovation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭Odelay

FortySeven wrote: »
    Well guys, I'm sorry that I haven't updated this in so long.

Things have not worked out as planned. The stresses and strains of this project have unfortunately exposed the existing issues within my relationship with my partner and we are now in the process of splitting up. I'm not sure what happens with the house now, things are not great at the moment. If, and it is a big if, things improve then I will of course carry on with this journal but if I'm honest I think realistically it ends here. Thanks for all the support and encouragement you guys provided, it kept me working when my motivation ebbed. It was bloody hard working getting it to this point, only wish I could have finished it but such is life.

Back to square one for me,

snakesand%20ladders_zpsvsgnlwb2.jpg

Ah 47, sorry to hear that. Do remember that all refurbishments put a massive toll on relationships. Keep talking to friends and family. I enjoyed reading your updates, hope all works out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Very sorry to hear of the additional stress you're under FortySeven. It was a big project & you were making great advances.
    I hope everything works out as well as it possibly can for you, your partner & the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

Sorry to hear your news OP. Hope it all works out for you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭atilladehun

I'm sorry to hear that too. Keep yourself well. Best of luck in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Sorry to hear that 47 i enjoyed reading this as im doing the same but i dont have patience to write a blog on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Ao

Just discovered your thread 47. A very interesting read with some great work done by yourself.
    Very sorry to read of the issues you are having but if you do get your project back up and running then I, and I'm sure a few others here would gladly give up a few days to help you out on the renovations.
    Take care of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

OK, fcuk it!

I have no idea how I'm going to make this work but since it seems I am going to be here on my own for christmas I am fcuked if I am going to sit crying watching bloody christmas tv. I am going to crack on with this place, she still owns half but I guess I have to just live with that.

Onwards and upwards. Updates coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

OK, fcuk it!

I have no idea how I'm going to make this work but since it seems I am going to be here on my own for christmas I am fcuked if I am going to sit crying watching bloody christmas tv. I am going to crack on with this place, she still owns half but I guess I have to just live with that.

I don't know your situation op, but if she owns half of it, and not contributing to the upgrade of the house, she'll still own half of it if it goes for sale. I've seen it happen

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    I don't know your situation op, but if she owns half of it, and not contributing to the upgrade of the house, she'll still own half of it if it goes for sale. I've seen it happen

I know but selling it in this condition would probably end up owing money still. This way, if it sells, we are free. I don't wish her ill will, she stood by me through some tough times. Now it is my turn to do my best and try to return the favour I suppose.

I know but selling it in this condition would probably end up owing money still. This way, if it sells, we are free. I don't wish her ill will, she stood by me through some tough times. Now it is my turn to do my best and try to return the favour I suppose.

Fair enough and best of luck with it. I'm a plumber by trade so if you e any questions in that area send me a pm and I'll try my best to advise you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Best of luck OP, Major projects always take their toll on relationships.

For what it's worth you have earned the respect of many of us here who appreciate the effort you have put in for your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭JamBur

Happy Christmas 47, hopefully you'll look back on all this from a far better place come this time next year

OK, fcuk it!

Been there (kinda sorta ish...)
    Fair play to you and best of luck with it. Raise the tide, power on through and keep working. And totally think that beyond a few days worth, sitting around moping has limited use… You've already proven yourself to be extremely capable and resourceful; keep on and work through it - for sure your best option and a good decision.
    Best… C.

Ended up going away for christmas. My good intentions were a bit innocent and I had to get out of here for the sake of my mental health. Since then it has all been about court. Haven't got anything done at all. Bought a few rolls of insulation and I have put the new bath together. Will be back at it now, that's a promise. I have an access hearing on the 22nd March and she has managed to restrict my access to the kids on the basis of the house not being finished. I will be cracking on as best I can but funds are limited massively now and I am finding it hard to motivate myself. I'm very busy trying to get all the paperwork I need for court ready so time is also an issue as my days off are taken up with this but I have to do this if I want to see my kids.

Appreciate all the kind comments and offers of assistance. Watch this space.

The power women have, and abuse, when it comes to custody sickens me.

The power women have, and abuse, when it comes to custody sickens me.

Mine has attempted to abuse the system in comical ways. She had all the cards and has instead made such a fool of herself that everything is going my way. She has come out with such outrageous lies in court it ws easy to prove her wrong. She tried to block guardianship and access, failed. Tried to stop me blocking the kids from travelling, failed. Tried to get me moved out of the house with a barring order by falsely accusing me of violence. Failed quite spectacularly that time, I almost felt sorry for her.

I'm actually enjoying coming home and not facing the usual put downs. I miss the kids badly but will have more access when the house is done.

Now, don't want this to become about my failed relationship, this is about the house renovation so, onwards and upwards.

Mine has attempted to abuse the system in comical ways. She had all the cards and has instead made such a fool of herself that everything is going my way. She has come out with such outrageous lies in court it ws easy to prove her wrong. She tried to block guardianship and access, failed. Tried to stop me blocking the kids from travelling, failed. Tried to get me moved out of the house with a barring order by falsely accusing me of violence. Failed quite spectacularly that time, I almost felt sorry for her.

I'm actually enjoying coming home and not facing the usual put downs. I miss the kids badly but will have more access when the house is done.

Now, don't want this to become about my failed relationship, this is about the house renovation so, onwards and upwards.

Well the best of luck then. I hope it works out

So, she brought her parents over during the squabble and I left to Scotland for a while. Her father set about work on the house. Some results.

My lovely new floor, alongside my new doorframes. He put the frames in first and then hacked the floor around them. Bodge city. I believe he planned to fill the gaps with brown silicone. :eek:

IMAG0693_zpsj52dsawt.jpg

IMAG0691_zpstalpbef0.jpg

Also, the insulation has all been moved. It is rammed into the rafters, no air gap.

IMAG0688_zpsgwixqwgy.jpg

Which of course caused, you guessed it.

IMAG0689_zpsbt0xe6pn.jpg

It is much worse mold than the photo suggests.

Worst of all, he had brought the old wood that was infected with wet rot from outside and was using it as framework for plasterboarding the spaces above the doorframes. :eek: He had also shimmed the doorframes so much that he had to cut down the doors. With my metal grinder. None of the doors are square now and most were ill fitting. They also varnished everything in clear varnish. Interesting blend of walnut floor, cheap pine skirting, darker door frames and the old almost orange pine doors. 4 different browns all crowding the eye. Very sick looking in the end. There were inch gaps in the corners where the skirting met.

Needless to say, when I got back I wasn't happy and that was the end of our relationship really. Never tell your partner that her father is a clown. :rolleyes:

I have removed the doorframes, the floor and all the old rotten wood and am starting again. I will be buying new doorframes as they are cut too slim, I think just one will do it and cut it to replace just the top piece. I will see. Also need new doors. Going to have to be the cheap hollow white fake panel doors for now due to funds. I will be painting all woodwork in eggshell white. The floor will be the only wood and should look better framed in white instead of a brown dogs dinner mash up. This picture gives an idea of the whole brown shindiggery. Bleh!

IMAG0715_zpshyhtpbdd.jpg

Collecting insulation as funds allow. The fat rolls were €24 each and cover 10m2 to 100mm, the thinner rolls are on offer at B&Q just now @ €16 and cover 8.2m2 to 100mm. Only really bought this as my other half took the main car after forging my signature on the reg cert, it was an estate and the fiesta she left me with can only manage two rolls of the fatter stuff. I can get three of the thinner ones in it. :( I will keep adding as I can, after the base layer I will crosslay some 170mm my friend has offered cheap. He has a Ber B new build and went OTT on the insulation so has a load left over.

IMAG0761_zpsqhimuyro.jpg

Ready to level and tile the bathroom floor. I have gone with a textured black tile. €107 for 5 sq meters. Adhesive €20. Leveling compound €13 a bag.

IMAG0762_zps730gtweg.jpg

IMAG0764_zpsrwldmnha.jpg

Was trying to remove the bath drain pipe as when it was fitted it was melted to bring it level and I could not work with it.

IMAG0765_zpszbrqfbzj.jpg

It was cemented into the outside wall so I set about chiseling it out and stupidly smashed the sink drain which I recently laid new screed over. :mad: I cannot repair it as it is inside the wall and under concrete so I have decided to core drill a new waste pipe directly behind the sink which will then run along the back wall a few feet and empty into the soil stack pipe since it is blocking the run between the sink and the drain. Oh, the joys! :D

To save a few quid, those individually wrapped easi plumb fittings are very dear. It'd be worth your while to go to heat merchants or similar in future.

To save a few quid, those individually wrapped easi plumb fittings are very dear. It'd be worth your while to go to heat merchants or similar in future.

I do usually. I'm lucky to be 1km from a large trade center but I don't get home from work till they close and am now working Saturdays to cover the financial hole I'm in. Picked the easi plumb up in B&Q tonight when getting some insulation. 2 bloody hours in Galway traffic to go a few kms. :mad:

I'm hobbled too as my access with the kids is restricted at the moment due to her claiming the house is unsafe. (it isn't) So my Sundays are out of the house too. Only really have time to work after work and working by artificial light is not the best. Still, I won't get joint custody until I finish the house so I can just keep plodding on.

• Advertisement

Right so. Let normal service resume. ;)

Spent ages trying to get a lump of concrete out of the hole in the wall where the bath drain goes. Managed it eventually after much cursing and scraping of knuckles. I fitted a new waste pipe for the bath. Held it in place with some of this expanding foam.

IMAG0925_zps2kkgupjg.jpg

Didn't fill the hole all the way to the outside as I will use some cement to finish it off. Inside I let it blow out as a stopper for the levelling compound.

IMAG0920_zpsjlhwqmmw.jpg

I caulked around the walls and made a dam with a bit of wood at the door then caulked that too. Floor looked like this before.

IMAG0616_zps9dfcuka5.jpg

Then three buckets of water, 4.5 liters in each. I mixed one bag at a time in the same bucket and poured in three stages. The mixing tool was €15.

IMAG0919_zpsmti7krn0.jpg

Then broke out the secret weapon. €18.50 on fleabay.

IMAG0921_zpsjbtjevxt.jpg

The roller made it an easy job, no trowelling or faffing, just roll out any lumps or air bubbles. Made an ar*e of my trousers and shoes with the spatter but cest la vie! Hoping this dries well, don't see any reason for it not to.

IMAG0922_zpslsj2jmxg.jpg

IMAG0923_zpsrug2oyce.jpg

Off upstairs to hoover the loft ready for insulation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Excellent work!

Love those tiles. You have great taste!!

Worryingly not dry. Supposed to take foot traffic after 24 hours @ 20c. It was cold last night and the house is 10c so I guess it will be tomorrow or later. Will get the heating on but without the insulation it is a futile effort trying to heat the house at the moment.

Taking the night off tonight for Arsenal v Barcelona. Was hoping to offer up the bath tonight but it will have to wait.

IMAG0940_zpsmcombwsj.jpg

Now dry and looking well. Unfortunately I have developed a chest infection so nothing going on at the moment. Have a friend's and family 20% off voucher for woodies so will see what I can get with that this Saturday. Might take the van from work. :-) get the rest of the insulation and some paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭marsbar1

Hi fourtyseven. I woke in the night, decided to read these boards. Just read all ten pages of your thread, took about 1.5 hours! You've done great work from the start you are very handy and an inspiration. As the thread developed I see where you are now. I'm sorry about your split, all the work and time you've put in on this project was for the sake of your family. Annoying about her fathers meddling. I admire the carrying on and the determination to finish.

I will soon have to start the renovation of a 1950s bungalow which has been empty for 10 years+. I wasn't sure how much I would do myself or how much I'd get contractors in but this thread is really a help if not a little scary look at what I may have to face. Best of luck with it all.

Well, this was unexpected. :mad:

IMAG0954_zpst7tcu0dr.jpg

It started in the corner and I drew around it with a marker to see if it spread.

IMAG0955_zps7olndhgq.jpg

There are actually droplets of water on the surface. This hasn't been the case since doing the screed and has only happened in the last few days since using the expanding foam to fill the hole for the waste pipe. Just been out to check and sure enough the foam has expanded a good bit more than I expected and is ballooned out of the exterior hole. Rain is driving against this wall at the moment and I suppose is wicking through the foam. Bit of a disaster.

Now the joy of digging back the foam to create a cavity before I render the exterior. Meh! More waiting to ensure this has resolved the issue before I tile.

Life is just out to get me at the minute but this too shall pass. :rolleyes: No time at the moment as my days off are spent collecting statements and other evidence to counter my ex's lies in court. Money extremely tight as I have to buy a car, I priced the wall tiles today, €450. Then trims, adhesive and grout on top. Cannot stretch to it at the minute so I guess I sort the water penetration and concentrate on the insulation for now.

Plodding on. :cool:

Well, this was unexpected. :mad:

IMAG0954_zpst7tcu0dr.jpg

It started in the corner and I drew around it with a marker to see if it spread.

IMAG0955_zps7olndhgq.jpg

There are actually droplets of water on the surface. This hasn't been the case since doing the screed and has only happened in the last few days since using the expanding foam to fill the hole for the waste pipe. Just been out to check and sure enough the foam has expanded a good bit more than I expected and is ballooned out of the exterior hole. Rain is driving against this wall at the moment and I suppose is wicking through the foam. Bit of a disaster.

Now the joy of digging back the foam to create a cavity before I render the exterior. Meh! More waiting to ensure this has resolved the issue before I tile.

Life is just out to get me at the minute but this too shall pass. :rolleyes: No time at the moment as my days off are spent collecting statements and other evidence to counter my ex's lies in court. Money extremely tight as I have to buy a car, I priced the wall tiles today, €450. Then trims, adhesive and grout on top. Cannot stretch to it at the minute so I guess I sort the water penetration and concentrate on the insulation for now.

Plodding on. :cool:

Did u ever look at buy and sell or done deal? There's often guys giving away leftover building materials. Some might suit you. I'm raging cause only the other day I came across 15 lengths of new chrome tile trim a customer offered me for free. I had no use as I only recently done my own bathroom. If I see her again I'll ask for them and you'd be more than welcome to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soccercrew

IMAG0940_zpsmcombwsj.jpg

Now dry and looking well. Unfortunately I have developed a chest infection so nothing going on at the moment. Have a friend's and family 20% off voucher for woodies so will see what I can get with that this Saturday. Might take the van from work. :-) get the rest of the insulation and some paint.

How much did it cost to lay that self leveller and is it all completely level.

soccercrew wrote: »
    How much did it cost to lay that self leveller and is it all completely level.

3 bags @ 15 ish Euro each. Perfectly level. I also bought the spiked roller on eBay for 18 Euro delivered. Made the job easy as pie.
    Hth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭soccercrew

3 bags @ 15 ish Euro each. Perfectly level. I also bought the spiked roller on eBay for 18 Euro delivered. Made the job easy as pie.
    Hth.

3bags! Looks like its took more than 3 bags to me! I've used the stuff quite a lot and have never covered that area with 3 bags. You done well

Advertisement