Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android/Dream Box [ Illegal discussion = Ban ]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

How does the new amazon box compare to the major android boxes?

Haven't seen a new one yet (although new it was due and haven't looked). The old ones were a bit trickier to install Kodi and get it on the home screen, but much more reliable hardware wise than some of the Chinese ones. Specs are usually similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Can anyone with a pipo tell me can they be switched on remotely?

Ie, currently I have to haul my butt over to the device, and manually power it up, then enter a password to access the desktop.

Is anyone aware of a way I can wake the device, straight into the desktop via a remote or an app?

Ps, I have barely looked at the android side of the box, I just haven't found the need to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Can anyone with a pipo tell me can they be switched on remotely?

Ie, currently I have to haul my butt over to the device, and manually power it up, then enter a password to access the desktop.

Is anyone aware of a way I can wake the device, straight into the desktop via a remote or an app?

Ps, I have barely looked at the android side of the box, I just haven't found the need to.

WARNING: Theoretical solution only, hasn't been tested (yet) :)

Enable 'wake on lan'

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/enable-wake-on-lan-windows-10/

Use in conjunction with any of the wake on lan apps for your chosen mobile device.

Graham wrote: »

Enable 'wake on lan'

Use in conjunction with any of the wake on lan apps for your chosen mobile device.

Cheers Graham, will definitely have a look at this in the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hi I am just coming in to the tail end of this thread so sorry if any of my questions have already been answered.
    I,m looking to but an android TV box for the first time and wondered what people thought of this one
    https://www.dreamboxsireland.com/product/dreambox-t8/

Does the live TV streaming buffer or lag much? (I have decent broadband with Upc)
    I don't mind paying decent money for a decent box,preferably one preloaded with what I would need and one that updates automatically.
    Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I see there's a new T8 after coming out. https://www.entertainmentbox.com/shop/t8-aml-v3-e-box-latest-tv-box-fastest-tv-box-16gb-s812-gigabit-ethernet-dual-band-wifi-4k-this-is-the-best-tv-box-ever/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭droidman123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

The site which shall not be named has a sale from their EU warehouse for the next few days and I'm thinking of picking up a few of the cheapest boxes for my dad and a few others. They won't be streaming local video, so the WiFi only has to be good enough for a HD Netflix steam at the most.

I bought the MXIII for myself and I've familiarised myself with kodi. So I'll be able to install & configure the essentials.

Basically which is the more stable of these, the Beelink X2 or Chiptrip MXV S805? I'd also be grateful for any better suggestions at the €30-35 mark. Thanks.

Enable 'wake on lan'

I consider myself fairly computer literate Graham, and its prob due to the nature of the pipos set up, but this is way off my capabilities.

I will suffer with manual turn on for now lol.

I consider myself fairly computer literate Graham, and its prob due to the nature of the pipos set up, but this is way off my capabilities.

On the Pipo side, you only need to do the first 4 screenshots of those instructions I linked to, upto the point where you enable 'wake on magic packet'.

Everything after that you can ignore as you'll be using a 'wake on lan' mobile app.

On the Pipo side, you only need to do the first 4 screenshots of those instructions I linked to, upto the point where you enable 'wake on magic packet'.

Everything after that you can ignore as you'll be using a 'wake on lan' mobile app.

Can't seem to access the bios though, that seems to be where the relevant menus are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

have you looked into something like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Time to upgrade my MX,been looking at this one and I think it was recommended in a post here before.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Tronsmart-MXIII-Plus-2G-8G-Amlogic-S812-Quad-Core-2-0GHz-Android-TV-Box-4K-H/323423_32409348766.html

Lads, thanks for the heads up on the "wake on LAN" method, but i seem to be failing on one simple thing.

I hjave no way of "right clicking" on the network adapter option.

I have a wireless mouse app on my phone, (two actually) that just flat out stop working once I get to the device manager options.

Anyone any ideas?

Lads, thanks for the heads up on the "wake on LAN" method, but i seem to be failing on one simple thing.

I hjave no way of "right clicking" on the network adapter option.

I have a wireless mouse app on my phone, (two actually) that just flat out stop working once I get to the device manager options.

Anyone any ideas?

USB mouse directly attached to the Pipo or touch directly on the Pipo touchscreen itself.

USB mouse directly attached to the Pipo or touch directly on the Pipo touchscreen itself.

Yeah, gonna have to invest in a USB mouse.

Touching the screen doesn't give me right click function unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭Invincible

zerks wrote: »
    Time to upgrade my MX,been looking at this one and I think it was recommended in a post here before.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Tronsmart-MXIII-Plus-2G-8G-Amlogic-S812-Quad-Core-2-0GHz-Android-TV-Box-4K-H/323423_32409348766.html

That's available on the geek site too, same price I think but there was a discount code for $11 off, ZMOXZIBL entered during checkout process.

I'm using one of those, solid enough box, would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Invincible wrote: »
    That's available on the geek site too, same price I think but there was a discount code for $11 off, ZMOXZIBL entered during checkout process.

That code has expired. I signed up to geekbuy and they give you 5% off your first order, works out at $3.50 off.

So €61.20 delivered. Then whatever customs add.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

Customs are hitting these boxes a lot lately, I reckon you'd nearly be as well to pick one up off Adverts or Donedeal - no difference in price when you add in the customs charge plus the lovely €7 "holding charge" :rolleyes: by An Post.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BandMember wrote: »
    Customs are hitting these boxes a lot lately, I reckon you'd nearly be as well to pick one up off Adverts or Donedeal - no difference in price when you add in the customs charge plus the lovely €7 "holding charge" :rolleyes: by An Post.... :(

€55 or €60 will get you one from Amazon,shipped from UK and some have wireless keyboard included.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

€55 or €60 will get you one from Amazon,shipped from UK and some have wireless keyboard included.

I got the jbonest one on Amazon for 58 sterling with free keyboard.well worth the money and i must say the keyboard is a godsend as opposed to using the remote.
    That works out at 81 ish euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭masterboy123

I asked the seller to mark it as GIFT and then didnt have to worry about custom charges.
    BandMember wrote: »

I asked the seller to mark it as GIFT and then didnt have to worry about custom charges.

I'd guess it was more fluke that you didn't get hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hey all, after reading through the thread and decided I need a pipo x8 in my life :) Just to clarify, buying these from GeekBuying will mean it's shipped from China? There is a 20 euro difference between them and Amazon, but if they are based in China or some place like that, thinking it might be better to just get from Amazon in case there are any issues.

Thanks!

Benzino wrote: »
    Hey all, after reading through the thread and decided I need a pipo x8 in my life :) Just to clarify, buying these from GeekBuying will mean it's shipped from China? There is a 20 euro difference between them and Amazon, but if they are based in China or some place like that, thinking it might be better to just get from Amazon in case there are any issues.

Thanks!

This is my two cents.

I bought mine (64GB model) from a certain website based in China that we can't talk about here.

It cost me +/- 115€ , and in fairness its a lovely piece of kit, and I haven't even messed around with the android side of it, I've purely stuck with Windows desktop for no other reason than laziness I suppose.

However, a few weeks after using it the power adapter went wallop, resulting in me having to use the laptops charger temporary until one with the same voltage/ampage arrives from Amazon.

However, the website that can't be named, and I purchased from have quite simply ignored about 6 "tickets" I have sent them to ask what they intend to do about my broken charger.

Their "ticket" system is a form of dispute resolution, in which one must include their order number, symptom of problem, and videos or links of problem.
    I uploaded a video of my pipo refusing to turn on with their chinese made charger , and booting immediately with the asus laptop charger, and they have never even acknowledged any of these tickets.

If its only twenty euro in the difference, buying from Amazon in the UK is a no brainer. Just my opinion.

Really really pissed off that we can't mention website...... I have plenty to say on any thread opened attempting to shill. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

This is my two cents.

I bought mine (64GB model) from a certain website based in China that we can't talk about here.

It cost me +/- 115€ , and in fairness its a lovely piece of kit, and I haven't even messed around with the android side of it, I've purely stuck with Windows desktop for no other reason than laziness I suppose.

However, a few weeks after using it the power adapter went wallop, resulting in me having to use the laptops charger temporary until one with the same voltage/ampage arrives from Amazon.

However, the website that can't be named, and I purchased from have quite simply ignored about 6 "tickets" I have sent them to ask what they intend to do about my broken charger.

Their "ticket" system is a form of dispute resolution, in which one must include their order number, symptom of problem, and videos or links of problem.
    I uploaded a video of my pipo refusing to turn on with their chinese made charger , and booting immediately with the asus laptop charger, and they have never even acknowledged any of these tickets.

If its only twenty euro in the difference, buying from Amazon in the UK is a no brainer. Just my opinion.

Really really pissed off that we can't mention website...... I have plenty to say on any thread opened attempting to shill. :mad:

Sorry to hear about your troubles! Thanks for the reply, that makes sense and goes along with my thinking as well, Amazon's customer service is worth the additional money in the end, cheers.

Looking forward to checking this out, I've used kodi before but I may be back in the near future looking for some tips via pm :D

Fully agree with the above - the issue with power supplies appears to impact a lot of these Chinese made products and returns to China are not an option. Gearbest are the worst of all for customer service in my opinion - they can be cheap but you will not have any resolution if something goes wrong.

Buy from Amazon, or alternatively I would buy the Dell Mini PC in Bargain Alerts, similar spec but more reliable hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delph09

Fully agree with the above - the issue with power supplies appears to impact a lot of these Chinese made products and returns to China are not an option. Gearbest are the worst of all for customer service in my opinion - they can be cheap but you will not have any resolution if something goes wrong.

Buy from Amazon, or alternatively I would buy the Dell Mini PC in Bargain Alerts, similar spec but more reliable hardware.

yes, i also agree with you, but i think many people will still go to choose cheap one from chinese store to see whether they are lucky one who get a perfect product without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Yeah, gonna have to invest in a USB mouse.

Touching the screen doesn't give me right click function unfortunately

Have you tried touch screen and hold for a second? I think that gave me right click.

I too bought the Pipo but I have to say I'm not too impressed with it yet. Yeah it has windows/android (haven't been able to boot to android yet btw but that's surely just me).
    A dedicate remote would have been great. I bought the Tronsmart air mouse report and find it doesn't work well at all.

If you connect external usb devices, mouse, keyboard monitor it would run ok as a cheap PC.
    Maybe I just need to give it more time but as I bought it mainly for Kodi and TV, now I'm sorry I didn't just buy a dedicated TV box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭rottie 11

I bought an mxq box the last day and nothing works on it. Anyone know why ?

Advertisement