Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual 'fcuk you, hayfever' thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I've pretty bad hay fever, so it's normal for me. I basically sneeze until I get a nosebleed several times a day :o

I spent the last 3 months in SE Asia. Not a bother with hayfever. I'm back here a week and I'm in bits. All the doors and windows are closed and I still wake up with streaming eyes. I'm on 2-3 zirtec a day and it makes it better but not perfect.

Going to pop down to the pharmacy later and get some eye drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

Killed with it this week, fecking nightmare! Im pregnant too so that limits what I can take for it. :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Try having this problem all year around. I got diagnosed with chronic rhinosinusitis.

I take two blasts of Fluticasone Furoate and 1 tablet of Citrozine never had a problem since.

It's a pain in the arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Were you lot that kid - by which unwritten law stated there must be one in every class - who was called Snotser in school?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

TallGlass wrote: »
    Try having this problem all year around. I got diagnosed with chronic rhinosinusitis.

I take two blasts of Fluticasone Furoate and 1 tablet of Citrozine never had a problem since.

It's a pain in the arse.

I have chronic rhinitis (so basically sinusitis), tbh it's not a big deal to me. The hay fever is the problem for me.

• Advertisement

anncoates wrote: »
    Were you lot that kid - by which unwritten law stated there must be one in every class - who was called Snotser in school?

Nope :) that was a guy called Wayne in primary school and a girl called Margaret in secondary :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

I haven't been hit with it so far this summer, but I think it has gradually abated over the years. Hopefully I'm one of those that shirks it as they get older.

I still have the antihistamines at the ready though. A few years ago I'd be popping them late April/early May:). My heart goes out to the severely afflicted!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

haven't suffered from hay fever in ages. stuffed nose & scratchy throat. voice nearly gone. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Haven't needed antihistamines in 3 years, but I still go through the odd patch of sneezing with a little itchy nose and eyes. Usually passes after a day or two.

I have chronic rhinitis (so basically sinusitis), tbh it's not a big deal to me. The hay fever is the problem for me.

Only problem I ever had was when I tried to take up meditation. All the instructions say breath though your nose. Easier said than done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    haven't suffered from hay fever in ages. stuffed nose & scratchy throat. voice nearly gone. :mad:

Sunners that's probably a cold you got there! :pac:

razorblunt wrote: »
    Sunners that's probably a cold you got there! :pac:

Was thinking it sounded like a head cold rather than hayfever!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Old Perry wrote: »
    There is a n injection that kann be got. Had it back in 2006/7 and it worked wonders tbf.

Careful with it though, it's known side effects for over use is osteoporosis (sp). My doctor recommended it for 2 of 3 consecutive summer (Junior Cert followed by the Leaving two years later, I used to suffer the worst in May and June). But after that he advised a break.
    It was magic stuff though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

I used to get it in the far past but I don't suffer from it much any-more. I did notice that if I drank 8 beers the night before and woke up the next morning it would be 100-fold worse, almost closed eyes bulging red and sore as hell. My brother had it every day in summer 24 hours a day every day, he had it very bad, but even he himself now being a lot older doesn't get it much at all any-more.

It seems to go away the older you get.

It seems to go away the older you get.

It's weird with stuff like hayfever and asthma. For a lot of people the effects lessen over time. Others however can develop these conditions later in life, especially around middle age.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

blue note wrote: »
    This year was brilliant up to 2 or 3 days ago.
    Me too. Thought I had avoided it this year.
    TallGlass wrote: »
    I had chronic rhinitis as a kid...seem to have grown out of it?
    Grayson wrote: »
    It's weird with stuff like hayfever and asthma. For a lot of people the effects lessen over time.
    I've been told since i was a kid i'd grow out of asthma....never had, never met somebody who had either. I think its a cruel joke they tell kids to get their hopes up.

However I can say I've learnt how to manage asthma better since I got older

daheff wrote: »
    However I can say I've learnt how to manage asthma better since I got older

I've known a few people who did. I also know a few people who developed it in their 40's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I got hayfever for the first time this year, started about 2 weeks ago. Constant non-stop sneezing all day unless I held my nose, which ran like a tap. Tears streaming out of my eyes. It turned into what felt more like a cold after a week and I still have a chesty cough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Another down side of suffering from hayfever is that you sometimes pray for rain, wash all that crap out of the air. Makes me very unpopular!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Properly functioning respiratory system master race reporting in!

Not a touch. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

a dark smokey pub, the perfect cure......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2015/06/10/woman-with-hay-fever-to-spend-all-day-talking-about-hay-fever/

:pac:

Only messing btw. ;)

I used to be the above woman. Had dreadful hayfever for about 15 years - didn't mind the sneezing, but the blocked nose - and the *itchiness*, oh Christ the itchiness. Itchy eyes, nose and... gums (a weird one that not every hayfever sufferer relates to). The gums was the worst. It was the roof of the mouth and I'd have to use my tongue to scratch it, until it was raw and sore. Not sure what it was about - presumably an itch that "spread" from the sinus area or something.
    The itchiness was never-ending. My eyes and nose used to be so red and swollen - looked like I'd been in a fight. I'd be fine, and then walk past one tiny little garden and I'd be off. It'd actually exhaust you - sometimes you'd be fit for bed and would have to go home early on nights out due to feeling like you had a severe head-cold. Your eye-lids would be stuck shut when you woke up. Wear eye make-up and you'd look like Kiss/Alice Cooper. It would often flare up into an infection for me. I found the cortisone nasal spray better than any tablet though.

And then... it just stopped. The last time I had bad hayfever was six years ago. Since then, even when we had those two hot summers, I have barely been bothered by it, apart from the odd sneeze. Absolute bliss.

Must be an absolutely heavenly time of year for Kleenex. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Spent decades suffering with hayfever not knowing about anti antihistamines, then one day somebody at work commented on my sore swolen eyes, and my constant sneezing, which led them to suggest me trying something called claritin (or was it zyrtec)? I can't remember, but I do remember being cautious and sceptical how such a tiny pill could make my symptoms disappear, but amazingly they worked, and to this day I can't believe that I suffered for so long not knowing about antihistamines!

Just thinking back now, even my leaving cert was hard going due my eyeballs being swolen like balloons with my nose constantly irritated and running.

PS; Age helps, as the older I get the fewer symptoms I get.

LordSutch wrote: »
    PS; Age helps, as the older I get the fewer symptoms I get.

God, I wish my symptoms would ease off with age.
    I remember been mildly irritated at exam time in university every year but now my hayfever starts in may and last until well in to august.

Makes me more of an irritable bastard then I already am. :mad:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I suffer badly back in Ireland in July and August, but seem to be fine in London over the same time period. Maybe the air pollution takes care of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭daheff

I suffer badly back in Ireland in July and August, but seem to be fine in London over the same time period. Maybe the air pollution takes care of it...

No grass/trees/nature in a big city like london :cool:

Have to say the last week has been a nightmare for me for hayfever...havent had it this bad in quite a while :(

daheff wrote: »
    No grass/trees/nature in a big city like london :cool:

Have to say the last week has been a nightmare for me for hayfever...havent had it this bad in quite a while :(

I haven't had it this badly ever. :(

I got kicked out of the bed on friday night as was sneezing and sniffling too much. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

My take on the hayfever season. I suffered for years with it and I don't mean the odd sneeze but the full on hide in your bedroom with the blinds and windows closed kind of suffering. I tried everything until I started to take a combination of things starting in mid May and religiously sticking to a routine until last week in July. Seriously I can't stress enough the difference it has made to my life I can actually enjoy the summer now without the annual dread of what's in store. Price was a huge problem for me also with the chemists charging outrageous prices for the named brands and inevitably running out and not having enough stock at home.

I buy all my meds from chemist direct in the UK and it costs about 20 euro (including delivery) for the whole 9-10 weeks worth compared to 150 euro here as I couldn't find the generic brands in Ireland due to chemist price fixing.

1. Cetirizine Hydrochloride tablets. Take one in the evening about 8pm. At times I increase this dose with a half a tablet in the morning if I know im going to be walking in the mountains or doing a lot of work outside but only at peak season (like at the moment). It's basically a generic Zirtek that only costs 90 cent a pack (30 tablets) compared to 8 euro for (7 tablets) Zirtek.

2. Nasobec Aqueous nasal spray. A nasal steroid spray that I take twice a day once in the morning and once in the evening. One spray for each nostril increasing to two sprays in peak season. Think it cost 3.50 a 30ml bottle and is the same as the branded spray (can't remember the name) which cost three times that for half the size bottle. Two bottles does me for the whole season.

3. Mylab Allercrom eye drops. Once a day in the morning two drops in each eye. Can't remember the price of this think it was 1.50 a 10ml bottle that does the whole season actually this is from last year it lasts ages.

The tablets by themselves I found useless but in combination with the spray it's been fantastic. Had the injection once before and found it rubbish but that's just me might work for some. Actually thinking now last year chemist direct refused to send over the nasal spray because of some regulation or another so got it up in Newry but this year I had no such problem actually got this years and next years supplies sent over to save their 5 quid postage fee next year. Good luck and I genuinely feel for anyone suffering at the moment.

Just wanted to add ive zero connection to chemist direct in the UK and you can get the meds from a varied amount of online chemists all at very similar prices.

• Advertisement

Fcuk me. Today is a bad one! Am afraid that every time I talk to someone my nose will dribble one of those super fast ones that come out before you get a tissue to it!

Advertisement