Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what IS your least favourite country..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why don't you go there and then make a proper judgement? Istanbul is a beautiful city. Places like Epheses, Cappadoccia and Pammukele are well worth a visit.

The people are also very friendly and the food is very good.

Amazed reading this thread how many people comment on countries that they have never been to.

At a guess,it could be for the same reasons that Israel and the USA were mentioned,people not native to the area moving in and colonizing,eradicating much of the previous occupants and their history/cultures.

Or it could be something entirely different.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Why don't you go there and then make a proper judgement? Istanbul is a beautiful city. Places like Epheses, Cappadoccia and Pammukele are well worth a visit.

Amazed reading this thread how many people comment on countries that they have never been to.

I've been to Istanbul, and won't be back. I was robbed before I got off the plane (granted that thief could have been non-Turk), and then once again by a taxi-driver. I found the people to be scammers - right, left and centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Massimo Cassagrande

Of the "eurozoners" - Austria. Pleurgh, apart from the scenery. Asshat people and a very odd vibe to the place. After that, not a country, but a part of one - Barcelona. Hated every minute. Yet others rave about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Belgium has a rep for being boring. But some young 'uns might be amazed to learn that it produced some of the best acid house / techno / hard house / trance ever heard.

Antwerp rivalled Berlin for its rave scene. And was in fact the epicentre before Berlin took over.

Hardly what you'd expect from "dull and boring".

Besides, Ghent has 300 breweries or something silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Yeah anyone I know who lives in, or has lived in, Belgium says it's brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Northern Ireland...that fcukin accent. ..grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

I know what you mean but as a woman I can pretty much imagine the countries I would hate without even visiting them, simply because I am a woman. And I'd imagine most men would dislike those countries for the same reason, as I'd like to think that they'd rather women were treated equally too.

I mean if I can't walk around without covering my head or without being accompanied by a male relative or even in some cases be allowed to drive, then those countries can f**k right off. Maybe there are some great parts to them, maybe they could have beautiful scenery and even maybe some friendly people, but I have no interest visiting a country where women (and I have no doubt, many men) are treated as ****tily as they currently are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You must have missed the part where I said I would never go there. If I won an all inclusive holiday with thousands of spending money, I'd turn it down. Would hate to have to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

You must have missed the part where I said I would never go there. If I won an all inclusive holiday with thousands of spending money, I'd turn it down. Would hate to have to go there.

Didn't miss that part at all, that's what I responded directly too.

I would definitely recommend Turkey as a good place to visit.

I would though turn down the all inclusive holiday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,410 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I've been to Istanbul, and won't be back. I was robbed before I got off the plane (granted that thief could have been non-Turk), and then once again by a taxi-driver. I found the people to be scammers - right, left and centre.

I would not deem a theft on a flight or being ripped off by an airport taxi driver as a fair judgement of a country. Taxi drivers at airports all over the world are notorious for ripping people off.
    Especially when public transport from Istanbul airport is so easy (way better than Dublin), but no everyone there is out to scam you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

It is, actually, whether you like it or not.

Nope, province of the United Kingdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Meangadh wrote: »
    I know what you mean but as a woman I can pretty much imagine the countries I would hate without even visiting them, simply because I am a woman. And I'd imagine most men would dislike those countries for the same reason, as I'd like to think that they'd rather women were treated equally too.

I mean if I can't walk around without covering my head or without being accompanied by a male relative or even in some cases be allowed to drive, then those countries can f**k right off. Maybe there are some great parts to them, maybe they could have beautiful scenery and even maybe some friendly people, but I have no interest visiting a country where women (and I have no doubt, many men) are treated as ****tily as they currently are.

I'd be mad to visit countries like that to experience the cultural differences. Sure with places I'm Europe you'd hardly know you've left the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

From my own experience it would be France. With its grossly overrated and mostly disgusting cuisine. A hyper-inflated sense of its own importance and a populace who tend to be incredibly rude and ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

From my own experience it would be France. With its grossly overrated and mostly disgusting cuisine. A hyper-inflated sense of its own importance and a populace who tend to be incredibly rude and ignorant.

I like them because they're self assured and confident, they don't have the same hang ups and insecurities certain other countries have and they really don't give a dam about what any other nationality thinks of them. Italians would be similar in that regard from my experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They completely wrecked Brussels architecturally in the 50s and 60s is the main problem. It has nice bits, they're just completely overshadowed by horrendous stuff that was put up in the name of progress.

There's even a term "Brusselisation" (in French bruxellisation and in Dutch verbrusseling)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brusselization

To completely feck up a nice city with horrifically bad planning.

Plus I bet the Congolese really hate Belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

anto9 wrote: »
    Cant understand people saying Belgium.Bruge and Antwerpen ,are beautiful .Brussels is not so great but does have some nice parts .

Because the other countries I've been to were nicer

He's talking about Bray Republican Seamus Costello, founder of the INLA.

I was only thinking of him because I was his grave the other day. The headstone is bloody huge.

Yeah|!!!. For the record I also favor guerrilla tactics in Parliament. Imagine Gerry & Mary Lou ambushing Enda & Joan in the Dail with AR-18's.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,798 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Plus I bet the Congolese really hate Belgium.

They don't whinge about them as much as we do about the English.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,960 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Never been to Italy, but I've had some nicely laid-back times in the south of France, including Cannes (which is close to Italy). If you try to judge France by Paris alone, you'd be as bad as a tourist who judged Ireland by Dublin. Worse, actually, since France is so much bigger and more diverse.

Worst country I've visited? Probably Swaziland.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

They don't whinge about them as much as we do about the English.

How much do you whinge about them? They didn't even make my top 3. There sort of a large version of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Gongoozler wrote: »
    I'd be mad to visit countries like that to experience the cultural differences. Sure with places I'm Europe you'd hardly know you've left the country.

I get what you mean, but the fact is that there are countries I wouldn't be able to even visit, either because of their laws regarding women or because it wouldn't be safe for me (as an outsider, male or female). I travelled on my own in Europe once and have gone travelling numerous times with a bunch of girls in places all over the world. I'd rather my holidays were like that, where I experienced different cultures and still felt safe.

Ok, perhaps these places are not as culturally extreme as say, Saudi Arabia or parts of Africa, but I'd rather wait for them to catch up with the rest of the world a little regarding their human rights before I go exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,798 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How much do you whinge about them? They didn't even make my top 3. There sort of a large version of us.

I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

France. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

Morocco- dirty, smelly, kip, where the locals will badger you to within an inch of your life til you buy something off them (they call this "their culture").

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

I would not deem a theft on a flight or being ripped off by an airport taxi driver as a fair judgement of a country. Taxi drivers at airports all over the world are notorious for ripping people off.
    Especially when public transport from Istanbul airport is so easy (way better than Dublin), but no everyone there is out to scam you!

The taxi-driver in this instance had nothing to do with the airport. It was a taxi from one part of the city to another - no where near the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

As of today, all of N Africa/Turkey/Saudi stares. I'd even be wary of the Canaries. Not too much security when you get the day trip across

RIP to all who didn't make it and respect to the Welshman who used himself to protect his fiancé and their unborn baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

Australia - people are mainly ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

In terms of places I've visited, Northern Ireland was probably my least favourite. Lovely scenery in places, people are friendlier than many of down here would have us believe, but some Northern towns are absolute dives. Add in the fact that parts of Belfast (and Derry to an extent) effectively function as a warzones (and two of Belfast's biggest attractions, the peace walls and the Titanic, are based on tragic loss of life) and it gives the whole place a really sad air to it.

In terms of every country in the world, I can't decide on giving the honour to North Korea or Saudi Arabia. On one hand you have the former; the world's last Stalinist dictatorship with a scummy, obese leader who executes members of his family on a whim, and who presides over a country-sized prison which is quite content to imprison and starve millions of its people if it makes them deferent and passive. It tries (and fails) to build a pathetic façade of prosperity to shield its gross inequality and hardships. People in the west usually the refer to the country humorously, but in reality it is one of history's most depraved regimes and a blight on the human race. On the other hand, the latter is a ridiculous cartoonish country run by ancient, decrepit lunatics, who have sculpted a country that again, has the image of wealth, but is built on outrageous human rights violations and religious insanity. Its an outright theocracy, and the lunacy of Wahhabism is allowed to curtail the basic rights of women, kill gays and apostates, and to generally promote extremist, backward behaviour the world over. It gets a free pass on many of these things essentially because firstly its a Western ally (which is itself an utter disgrace) and secondly because of the Western cultures general taboo on protesting about anything Islamic related (even extremist versions of it). There is literally no reason why either country should exist, and both of them can wallow in their disgusting pit as holding the title of worst countries in the world, as far as I'm concerned. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Wasn't fond of Tunisia at all. I can see all the advertisements in Dublin about 'Come to Tunisia!' and I cringe every time. The place is run down, the tourism industry has taken a nosedive since its troubles and there's no maintenance in many areas as a result. Also the people are pretty unpleasant to deal with.

^^^ posted before the tragic events on friday

if the tourism industry has taken a nosedive, it will be non-existence after this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭bolopapa

China.

Advertisement