Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you spot a paedophile by the way they look?

Options

Comments

It might make sense.

It's possible that viral proteins could have a significant effect on embryonic development. This has been the subject of intense scientific debate.

Viruses have been attributed to all sorts of diverse conditions, including MS and ME. Similar claims have been made about homosexuality

It's possible that paedophilia is genetic and environmental, and if viruses have a role in it, that paedophiles could behave in a similar way as well as having a common appearance. Especially if the gene contributing to paedophilia were located adjacent to the gene coding for ear lobe detachment, or whatever.

Having said that, this one paper and tiny sample size isn't much proof of anything.

I'm partially saying that because I have most of the anatomical features mentioned :eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

topper75 wrote: »
    Two words: photochromic lenses!

What's with that? I'm not saying every one. But a heck of a lot of them. Do the cops hand them to them for mugshots or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I have all the characteristics of a peado but I'm not one.

Should I go to my local playground and do paedophile things now?

In for a penny,in for a pound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I strongly approve of any post that manages to include the phrase Raving Nonce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

anncoates wrote: »
    I strongly approve of any post that manages to include the phrase Raving Nonce.
    https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvawDPpmixgxvExLwfJGRtXKmm9_k1tOC79pOxrUquCyWANG_T

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I reckon only women will reply to this thread for while..

Men will all be too busy checking their ears in the mirror and getting their socks off to have a look at their toes.

That's a clever point but havn't there been female paedophiles as well?

Bristol or Plymouth, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

That's a clever point but havn't there been female paedophiles as well?

Bristol or Plymouth, I think.

Was only messing. Suremthere's thousands of female paedophiles.

Sure this one advertised online for father and daughter and got busted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I always though they were always over weight, bald, middle aged men who wore glasses were socially awkward and lived with their mother or maybe thats just perverts in general not just paedophiles at least thats what the media would have you think the problem with that is its not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Wonder did their record company ever explain to them why they had a bewildering lack of success in England.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nonce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

mariaalice wrote: »
    socially awkward
    I love this term, it covers a plethora of abnormalities :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

mariaalice wrote: »
    I always though they were always over weight, bald, middle aged men who wore glasses were socially awkward and lived with their mother or maybe thats just perverts in general not just paedophiles at least thats what the media would have you think the problem with that is its not true.

There was that "weirdo" who was the landlord where that girl was killed - nothing to do with it but he looked the type - so the press hounded him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Funny how a thread like this pops up in the land where everyone can spot a qwayer or a tinker at 30 paces...

Phrenology got found out as pseudo scientific bull***t a century ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I reckon only women will reply to this thread for while..

Men will all be too busy checking their ears in the mirror and getting their socks off to have a look at their toes.

nope just making sure the locks are secure on the basement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Try walking through Bangkok airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't tend to notice the height of a person's palate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

I've heard that they sometimes disguise themselves as schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Nucular Arms

While i think its a load of bollox, i work with pedophiles, rapist and groomers everyday and plenty of others that have not committed a sexual offense and when i started i knew somehow what a few had done just by looking at them :/ could be something to it

Or possibly the fact that you knew you were going in to work with paepophiles, rapists and groomers disproportionally affected your perceptions of them when you encountered them for the first time?

Confirmation bias anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Danny ward is now in navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Can you spot a paedophile by the way they look?

No and I think this is a dangerous route to go down as it feeds into vigilantism or prejudice against anyone viewed as odd/eccentric which leads to cases like this:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2005/dec/11/childrensservices.childprotection

or this:

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/news/2012/06/23/alphonse-family-call-for-apology/

or, even worse, this:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/10409326/Man-accused-of-being-paedophile-and-murdered-for-photographing-garden-vandals.html

The child abuser is just as likely to be the respectable man in the collar or the pinstripe suit or the man that circulates in corridors of power like the Palace of Westminister.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Now if that's not a reason to introduce abortion! And the Catholic Church won't have a leg to stand on. :pac:

sure where would they get priests then? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

They reckon that 1 on 50 people have sexual thoughts about children at some point. Now I'm wondering which of the last 50 people to reply to this thread is a pervert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I've reviewed the work.
    walofs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

lukesmom wrote: »
    Danny ward is now in navan

But do you know where Larry Murphy is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Depraved wrote: »
    They reckon that 1 on 50 people have sexual thoughts about children at some point. Now I'm wondering which of the last 50 people to reply to this thread is a pervert.

Well, it's not us and with your username ......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I saw a two part series which is well worth watching it was on UTV, this girl was murdered near her flat in the south of England the police arrested her landlord and it was a clear case of confirmation bias, he was slightly odd looking, middle aged, lived on his own, etc. It nearly ruined his life until by accident the real killer was caught. It was frightening how easily it could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Adverts for Twilight Racing coming up on my screen. What's that all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Now if that's not a reason to introduce abortion! And the Catholic Church won't have a leg to stand on. :pac:

No chance of support from the RCC....where will they get their priests from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

New study suggests you can...

Low-set ears? Non-detached earlobes?
    Furrowed tongue? High palate?
    Curved fifth finger? Third toe longer than the second toe?
    Excessive gap between first and second toe?
    2.3cm shorter in height than a typical male?

If this sounds like you, best turn yourself in as chances are, you're a raving nonce:

Personally I think some of what they say is plausible but in the main, it's a load of bollox. What says you.

Asking can you spot a paedophile by the way they look , in my opinion , is akin to trying to use Racial Profiling , see here!

Just my thoughts,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement