Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you spot a paedophile by the way they look?

Options
  • 11-06-2015 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭

New study suggests you can...

Low-set ears? Non-detached earlobes?
    Furrowed tongue? High palate?
    Curved fifth finger? Third toe longer than the second toe?
    Excessive gap between first and second toe?
    2.3cm shorter in height than a typical male?

If this sounds like you, best turn yourself in as chances are, you're a raving nonce:
    Can you spot a paedophile just by the way someone looks?

We may be able to spot a paedophile just by the way someone looks, a controversial study argues.

Scientists believe there are physical differences we can use to identify those who are more likely to commit sex crimes on children such as having non-detached earlobes, misshapen ears and being left handed.

Fiona Dyshniku, of the University of Windsor in Canada, said: ‘Evidence is steadily accumulating to support a neurodevelopmental basis of pedophilia.
    ‘If we find that paedophilia has a biological basis, with a very early, even prenatal onset, this will influence and hopefully improve methods of treatment for this group.’

A total of 140 people took part in the study – all of which showed signs of distressing or illegal sexual behaviour.

The findings suggest that the paedophiles who participated in the study were more likely to have minor facial and head anomalies than the men who were not pedophiles.

Physical irregularities, known as Minor Physical Anomalies (MPAs), can also include having a curved fifth finger, a third toe longer than the second toe and an excessive gap between first and second toe.

They develop while the baby is still in the womb and is thought to have a greater impact on the male brain.

Personally I think some of what they say is plausible but in the main, it's a load of bollox. What says you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

140 people is too small a study to convince me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I reckon only women will reply to this thread for while..

Men will all be too busy checking their ears in the mirror and getting their socks off to have a look at their toes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

‘Evidence is steadily accumulating to support a neurodevelopmental basis of pedophilia.
    ‘If we find that paedophilia has a biological basis, with a very early, even prenatal onset, this will influence and hopefully improve methods of treatment for this group.’

Now if that's not a reason to introduce abortion! And the Catholic Church won't have a leg to stand on. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Oh dear, a few of those apply to me! And I'm certainly 2.3cm shorter than an average male, but since I'm female, that bit's a bit unfair!

Nah, I'm with the above. 140 is a very small sample.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

i'm going to give that article the same weight as the one linked in the middle of it...

British woman facing jail for upsetting mountain gods with her nudity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I have all the characteristics of a peado but I'm not one.

Should I go to my local playground and do paedophile things now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

And the sad fact is some gob****e somewhere will take this as fact.

Nah, they're probably just the characteristics of ovephilia. We need more Sheep Lovers around to check :D 140 should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Complete nonce-sense

Everybody knows they share the same nervous system as crabs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Satriale wrote: »
    i'm going to give that article the same weight as the one linked in the middle of it...

British woman facing jail for upsetting mountain gods with her nudity
    That is a real story and that woman will probably be sent to do a short stint in jail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

New study suggests you can...

Low-set ears? Non-detached earlobes?
    Furrowed tongue? High palate?
    Curved fifth finger? Third toe longer than the second toe?
    Excessive gap between first and second toe?
    2.3cm shorter in height than a typical male?

what is it about all these features that children find so sexy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

No, you need gunishment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

They way they wear their hat
    They way they sip their tea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭granturismo

Quick search shows Dr Fiona Dyshniku completed her PhD in 2013 - not exactly the most experienced researcher.

If they studied what type of cars the 140 test subjects drove, she could have correlated car type to pedos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

The way they smile gives it away.

Here's a test!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

It's easy to spot a peado anyway. Turn on the TV and watch BBC and you're bound to find one presenting a program.

Fuzzy wrote: »
    That is a real story and that woman will probably be sent to do a short stint in jail.

That will make her think twice about upsetting the gods!!

Quick search shows Dr Fiona Dyshniku completed her PhD in 2013 - not exactly the most experienced researcher.

If they studied what type of cars the 140 test subjects drove, she could have correlated car type to pedos.

Everyone knows what paedos drive .

KungPao wrote: »
    The way they smile gives it away.

Here's a test!

Snort, did that for the hell of it. Got 5 fails and three successes based on the writer's dubious assertion that it's all in the smile. And one false positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

While i think its a load of bollox, i work with pedophiles, rapist and groomers everyday and plenty of others that have not committed a sexual offense and when i started i knew somehow what a few had done just by looking at them :/ could be something to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,673 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I reckon only women will reply to this thread for while..

Men will all be too busy checking their ears in the mirror and getting their socks off to have a look at their toes.
    As I'm not a pedophile, that seems unnecessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Well this doesn't seem like it is ALL ALL dangerous or unethical to put this "research" in the public domain.

Who were the controls? How can you be sure someone isn't a paedophile? I doubt people who are not convicted would ever admit to the fact. There have to be quite a few people too who might have that urge but would never act on it and live seemingly average lives. It would be impossible to find a definite group on non-paedophiles. You just could never tell what features are more common amoung the paedophile population than the non-paedophile population.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

They wear a black shirt and white collar and present mass of a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Shots Fired...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

timetogo wrote: »

That is an awesome article. Just read it through there. 140 subjects isn't the worst in the world, but the number of things they seemed to be covering is a bit dubious. Going to go hunt out the proper article now though, since I rather fell again for the reporting, albeit in a negative fashion (My kneejerk reaction was "hah, bullsh*t). But I did still come to a conclusion without reading it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Forget all those biological features and measurements.

Two words: photochromic lenses!

What's with that? I'm not saying every one. But a heck of a lot of them. Do the cops hand them to them for mugshots or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Popular facts at the moment include the following:
    The only paedophiles that exist are:
    Danny Ward
    All priests(every single priest/brother in the history of the RCC)
    Men driving white cars or vans in residential estates.
    That is all.
    Parents and guardians don't need to worry about anyone apart from the above.
    Your 3 year old daughter is perfectly safe left alone with the guy you met last Saturday night because The Sunday World confirms that only the above are paedophiles.

Hrm... I've now read as much of the paper as I can get my hands on, and I'm hovering. The headlines are bull, unsurprisingly.

Let's face it. We don't know -what- causes paedophilia. We have theories and hypotheses, and now they are being tested. It is not an unreasonable supposition that it may be a neurological disorder, and that the seeds of this were placed in the womb due to one factor or another, including illness, drug effects, etc. We also know that paedophiles exist who have never harmed any child and really, really do not want to. So paedoshilia is not -just- a criminal act, it's a compulsion that comes from somewhere.

Following this through, it is not impossible that a neurological issue from the development stage in the womb may have minor physical abnormalities associated with it. Her article suggests that there is evidence in favour of this idea.

This does NOT mean that every left-handed short bloke with a crooked baby finger and arched palate is a paedophile, mind you. Minor neurological glitches happen without causing all or any of the symptoms listed (including a sexual attraction to children), so playing "Spot the Paedophile" based on those physical characteristics is, at the moment, a lunatic's game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Controversial study ehhhh.... Bull*hit more likes.

Advertisement