Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Christopher Lee, actor and absolute legend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

He read The Lord of the Rings every year and met Tolkien once, a true fan of the books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

nokia69 wrote: »
    he had an amazing life

fought for the Finnish in the Winter War against the Russians, was in the SAS, fought in WW2, became a Nazi hunter and released a heavy metal album, was a Bond villain, Count Dracula, Lord of the Rings villain, and a star wars villain

thats some going for one man, RIP Christopher

Worth repeating that...
    “I was attached to the SAS from time to time but we are forbidden – former, present, or future – to discuss any specific operations. Let’s just say I was in Special Forces and leave it at that. People can read into that what they like.”

Christopher Lee was Ian Fleming’s cousin. Both were distantly related to Charlemagne

When pressed by an eager interviewer on his SAS past, he leaned forward and whispered: “Can you keep a secret?”

“Yes!” the interviewer replied, breathless with excitement.

“So can I.” replied a smiling Lee, sitting back in his chair.

http://wlmager.tumblr.com/post/42350397080/christopher-lee-the-real-james-bond-i-was

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Links234 wrote: »

Another one of my Hammer favorites gone.

Funnily enough, I only re-watched 'Dracula' on the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

It really is one of those headlines that you re-read and go 'wait what? Awh ****.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Wibbs wrote: »
    Apparently the stuff he did in the war hasn't even begun to come to light. He was also a witness to the last public execution by guillotine in France.

Sad day alright.

It won't. A lot of his activities are still held under the OSA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

A great actor and a truly great man.

Goodbye Lord Summerisle.

Ní bheidh a leithéid ann arís

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭123balltv

Such a unique looking man, I loved him in Gremlins
    RIP Christopher Lee

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

An immense actor in every sense of the word, he easily stole every scene he was in with his presence and deep baritone voice. One of his early films was on tv at the weekend, A Tale of Two Cities, where he was suitably cruel and evil as the Marquis de Evremonde in the adaption of Dicken's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,963 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

He was an awesome Saruman, Count Dooku was meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Overheal wrote: »
    He was an awesome Saruman, Count Dooku was meh.

You have to consider the source material. One screenplay was inspired by an Oxford professor who set the template for a whole genre of fiction for half a century, the other was written by the man who created Jar Jar Binks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

And in fairness to him, he made Dooku a better character than Lucas had written.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

As a massive fan of Lord of the Rings, I'm truly saddened to hear this. A great man and a great actor. In one of the LOTR documentaries I watched, Jackson stated that he loves working with Christopher as he could listen to his stories all day, and he was kind to everyone on set. He often had a large group of people around him as he told his stories. It's a true loss to the world of acting.

RIP Christopher Lee, and thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

You just don't get Hollywood actors with that kind of life story anymore, do you?

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Seemed like a absolute gent
    There's a good backstage footage of him on the Hobbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

One of my all time favorite films, was also his favorite work unless I am mistaken, the Wicker man, it was his favorite role and I am glad of that. There is an essence about that film, something just from the heart. It stirred something in me. He possessed a rare grace and a great sense of humor which was brought out in later work.

He has so many fans. RIP. :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He said in an interview on Channel 4 (when the were doing one of those 100 greatest film shows) that the Wicker Man was the best film he was ever in.

It was a class film and he was excellent in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

RIP Christopher Lee

Tall, dark and gruesome..in his own words. A very watchable actor in any film he was in.

I liked him as Scaramanga, "Come, come, Mr. Bond, you disappoint me. You get as much fulfillment out of killing as I do". Great villain.

You just don't get actors like him anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I have to mention The Wicker Man as others have done.

A reason to hate Bond, he kills Scaramanga.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Guy was a legend, RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

I think I read somewhere he was one of just a handful of people who saw the last execution by gullitone in France

He was in Paris in the 1930's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,298 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The Wicker Man is his best film, in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

A member of the "Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" during his time served in WW2. Even created heavy metal covers of christmas carols during his 80's. Such an example to men the world over. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭LadyFenghuang

branie2 wrote: »
    The Wicker Man is his best film, in my opinion

He felt so too. I adore that film. The legends surrounding it are apart of it's charm. I went to see the special screening in the Lighthouse when it was on with a band of mates. It was really special seeing it on the big screen. It still opens the mind even today in our age where everyone thinks they have seen everything. And in a very charming way. The plots twists ...the characters...the fact that you dislike the police man and he becomes a symbol of repression and the pagans a symbol of liberation. When they burn him ..it's not him they are burning...it's the shackles he lives by. The bedroom scene with Britt Eckland is really cool....eer except for that bit where they could to a totally different naked lady as a double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yup, true movie legend.
    R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

was he the guy who put the voice to Thriller ??

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

fryup wrote: »
    was he the guy who put the voice to Thriller ??

Thats Vincent Price, another horror icon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thats Vincent Price, another horror icon
    Add Peter Cushing and you have one of the big trio's of horror. And lots of spooky coincidences between them.

The other trio would be Lon Chaney Jr, Bela Lugosi and Boris Karloff from another age.

He was Tokien's choice to be Gandalf.

His Bacon number beats Kevin Bacon's, yip he's worked with everyone that's anyone.

RIP Dr. Fu Manchu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

He said in an interview on Channel 4 (when the were doing one of those 100 greatest film shows) that the Wicker Man was the best film he was ever in.

It was a class film and he was excellent in it.

I haven't seen it in 20 years. I have seen the americanised remake with Nicholas Cage. Chris, it was desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

The bedroom scene with Britt Eckland is really cool....eer except for that bit where they could to a totally different naked lady as a double.
    Apparently her fella at the time, Rod Stewart, wasn't keen on his lady's naked arse gyrating to the world. Possibly bullsh-t. But she did have a double for the naked dancing bit all right.

Anyways, voluptuous naked lady's peachy bum aside, The Wickerman is the best Christopher Lee movie I've seen too (one of the best movies I've seen full stop) and he's the bomb as Lord Summerisle. Bonus points for campy Hammer Draculas and Scaramanga too. Very commanding presence - a distinguished gentleman.

RIP.

Advertisement