Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Christopher Lee, actor and absolute legend

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Gah, seeing your post there made me squeak. :( Seriously sad day indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Such a great actor, had a knack for playing 'Villians' in movies from recent memory, eventually branched off into music and released some heavy metal albums which was quite unexpected but cool none the less!

RIP

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/11666316/christopher-lee-dies-live.html
    Sir Christopher Lee, the screen legend whose career took him from Hammer horror to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings and a role as one of the great Bond villains, has died. He was 93.

The veteran actor died at 8.30am on Sunday at London’s Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, sources close to his family said.

He had been treated there for respiratory problems and heart failure over the preceding three weeks and turned 93 in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

93, wow he had a good old innings though as they would say over the Irish Sea, RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Ah jays - A giant in the movie world. He's gonna be a huge loss.

RIP:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Great Actor, good innings at 93!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Ah no! Very sad but he a good innings all the same. Incredible voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Fagin, aka Ron Moody, has had his pocket picked. Good innings too at 91. RIP to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Hope someone has hammered a stake through his heart

Ya know

Just in case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

RIP Mr. Lee, what a gentleman...

Had no idea he was that old, imagine he was making films at 92.. Still able and active.

Thought it was a feat that Kirk Douglas was still alive but there wasn't much between them really and Lee seemed to be in better shape.

• Advertisement

A very fitting quote from Robbie Collins' Telegraph tribute to him:

"Of all Lee’s performances, it’s his entrance in the first Lord of the Rings film that I just can’t shake. “Smoke rises from the mountain of Doom, the hour grows late…” he intones, gliding down Orthanc’s black staircase to receive the friend he’d already in his heart betrayed.

In The Two Towers, Tolkien devotes an entire paragraph to describing Saruman’s voice. It is “low and melodious, its very sound an enchantment…for those whom it conquered, the spell endured when they were far away, and ever they heard that soft voice, whispering and urging them.” That’s also unmistakably Lee’s voice, and Lee’s physicality, and Lee’s undying talent. He was the shadow at the top of the stairs, the smiling predator beckoning you in, the flash of silver in the dark."

I had shivers reading that Saruman quote. I can hear his voice in my head perfectly, despite not having seen the movie in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Time to keep his appointment with the Wicker Man.

RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

he had an amazing life

fought for the Finnish in the Winter War against the Russians, was in the SAS, fought in WW2, became a Nazi hunter and released a heavy metal album, was a Bond villain, Count Dracula, Lord of the Rings villain, and a star wars villain

thats some going for one man, RIP Christopher

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭RosyLily

Love him!! My dad got me interested in Hammer Horror from a young age. Sir Christopher terrified me but I was in awe of him. Such great screen presence. He was perfect as Saruman.

RIP Sir.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

BBC still not reporting this ... RIP if true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

RIP.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

nokia69 wrote: »
    he had an amazing life

fought for the Finnish in the Winter War against the Russians, was in the SAS, fought in WW2, became a Nazi hunter and released a heavy metal album, was a Bond villain, Count Dracula, Lord of the Rings villain, and a star wars villain

thats some going for one man, RIP Christopher
    Apparently the stuff he did in the war hasn't even begun to come to light. He was also a witness to the last public execution by guillotine in France.

Sad day alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

The greatest voice in cinema history. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭endacl

92 isn't a bad score. A lot of life to be celebrated.

• Advertisement

And to think he was doing somersaults in Star Wars just a few short years ago. :(

https://youtu.be/eYT3ctPuVRw?t=43s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Saruman!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

While we can only guess at what sort of classified things Christopher Lee got up to while he was in the SAS, one incident during the filming of Lord of the Rings gives insight into the kind of action that he saw. In a scene reserved for the extended version of Return of the King, underling Grima Wormtongue stabs Saruman in the back. Director Peter Jackson was coaching his actors on how to approach the scene, when something unexpected happened. Christopher Lee asked Jackson if he knew what it sounded like when someone was stabbed in the back. He then followed it up with: “Because I do.”

According to Peter Jackson, Christopher Lee then began talking about “some clandestine part of World War II,” although, as always, he withheld details. Jackson had wanted him to shout in pain when he was stabbed. Lee explained that when you are stabbed, “the breath is driven out of your lungs,” and he gave a good impression of what it would actually sound like—more like a strangled gasp.

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 9,746 ✭✭✭DeBurca

A sad day indeed, for me the one and only Count Dracula

2015 is continuing its Grim Reaper phase from 2014 in terms of greats dying off. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

RIP to a legend of cinema.

it's kinda weird, nobody is confirming it and SKY say that the telegraph have a copy of his death certificate from Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Absolutely gutted to read this .

He was always Count Dracula and master of Hammer house of horror .

Absolute legend of a man

Samaris wrote: »
    Aaargh, DeForrest Kelley (Dr. Bones) just died as well.

2015, are you aiming to claim as big a number of greats as 2014 was?

Huh? He's been dead years.

Mousewar wrote: »
    Huh? He's been dead years.

Goddamit, I was really hoping to edit that before anyone caught it. :D

Yeah, someone commented on it on Fb, and I looked it up to see he'd died on June 11th. Didn't look at the year though! I thought he was still going, mind you. I must have confused him with the chap that played Chekov

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Vandango

A very sad day for the movie industry. RIP Chris.

Advertisement