Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest thing you've lived to see in your lifetime

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

I saw the viticulture of the Earth from the top of the Austrian Alps, took my breath :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Regarding The Pat Kenny Out burst !

Life is Very Funny !

When the Nutcase is Right !

Its blooming Hilarious !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

blinding wrote: »
    Regarding The Pat Kenny Out burst !

Life is Very Funny !

When the Nutcase is Right !

Its blooming Hilarious !

i didnt agree with how he said it (although it was funny) but did agree with what he said

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

Space shuttle from middle Ireland twice

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Seesee

Free and fair elections in South Africa and the election of a black man as president of America.
    As a white woman I'm still waiting for a female president and a female Taoiseach.
    Dismantling of our own checkpoint Charlie before Newry fairly momentous too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Seems perhaps facetious to mention a sporting moment but Ireland is pretty settled politically so maybe not that facetious.

I was in Cardiff for the 2009 grand slam winning game and the atmosphere was unparalleled. The game was the epitome of drama and the sense of relief at the final whistle hoovered around the stadium. I remember high fiving complete strangers outside the stadium and the broad smiles on every Irish supporter. A special day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

A naked woman, just before I got to put my dick in her for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Italia '90

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Dolly the sheep.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

City winning the league in the last minute was special. Liverpool Milan was up there too, just pure madness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Seesee wrote: »
    Free and fair elections in South Africa and the election of a black man as president of America.
    As a white woman I'm still waiting for a female president and a female Taoiseach.
    Dismantling of our own checkpoint Charlie before Newry fairly momentous too.

We had continuous female presidents from 1990 to 2011 and probably the two most impressive presidents we've ever had!

I'm assuming you mean a president of the U.S. or France or somewhere?

that pat kenny outburst is meme quality

“I’ve wanted to confront you for 20 years on your pontificating and your moralising."

hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

That time a dog ran into the school. Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,256 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

This tops that easy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭captainfrost

The bible

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ayls

Seeing Paddy Hill outside the Old Bailey, pointing his finger at it and shouting " They're all rotten to the core ".

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Gerinspain

President Kennedy's assassination - I can still remember hearing it on the radio news.

The first Space Shuttle space walk. Nelson Mandela being freed. The Berlin Wall coming down.

Personally, swimming with dolphins in the middle of the Atlantic - the most amazing thing!

This tops that easy :P

"he passed out tesco to come to us"

brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

On a very personal note it was the birth of my son. We got married in 1989 and our son was born in 1997. A wait for a very precious long

awaited little person. We were never blessed with another child. I feel sad he's an only child.

In my lifetime I never thought we would have a child together which would have been so sad because my husband and I love each other so much.

On a not personal note I saw Pope John Paul 2nd in Rome. I am not very religious but the whole occasion touched me. The Berlin Wall was

another one.

Italia 90 was amazing as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭130Kph

For me, what surpasses the invention of Cheese strings, the release of Mandela from prison, Obama being elected, Italia ’90, the birth of random posters children, Hadron Collider, spacewalks, the fall of communism in Rathmines, peanut Lion Bars…yada…yada…yada….

Its Mrs 130Kph going to the shops; buying me beer. Pouring it in a glass and feeding it to me as demanded. Class. & The greatest thing I've ever lived to see in my lifetime :D:D:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Peanut Lion bars
    Aldi Roar bars.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Soyokakano

I don't think anything great has really happened in the past 25 years. I guess the development of technology has been the biggest advance, Such as mobile phone and internet development.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Currently we are living through a healthcare revolution with cures and new treatments for diseases that were untreatable.
    Today for example Bluebird Bio gave the latest update for their sickle cell disease gene therapy treatment.
    A severe genetic disease that affects the blood, gives a poor quality of life and people who have it need regular blood transfusions.
    Today in their update, a 13 year old boy who has the diseaseand who had it very severe and who received gene therapy has gone months without needing hospitalisation or a transfusion, and his blood is showing increased levels of healthy blood cells over time.
    We could hear about a certain type of blindness cured with another type of gene therapy in the next few weeks.

Then there is immuno-oncology where gene therapy is showing great results for certain types of cancer, especially a type known as CAR-T gene therapy and gene editing is another.

Next 20 years and most diseases will be cured. We are living in an age of revolution.
    Currently we are living and starting to see results from the coming healthcare revolution.

Some estimates say the average lifespan could increase by anything upto 20 years, but that is probably for wealthy westerners rather than the poor of the world who won't be able to afford the treatments....

Advertisement