Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest thing you've lived to see in your lifetime

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The 2013 All Ireland Semi Final between Dublin and Kerry what a ****ing match.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Ulster dominating Gaelic football, and the rise of Sinn Fein. Great days ahead for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,841 ✭✭✭RayCon

The Pogues (fronted by Joe Strummer) 4th Dec 1991 - Manchester Apollo
    Ramones 5th Dec 1991 - Manchester Academy

What a weekend that was :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Had been living in Italy in the lead up and during World Cup 2006.

The buzz around the place throughout the knockout stages of the tournament was something else.

Although the celebrations after the final were insane, the semi final against Germany stick out for me as far more memorable.

What a way to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

blinding wrote: »
    Will we see a Woman being elected as President ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

youtube.

youtube is probably the best thing that has happened in my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Seeing my son being born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

I lived in West Germany from Jan 89, I was 18. In those months I hitch hiked to West Berlin a couple of times and spent a few weeks of the summer of 1989 Inter Railing eastern europe, so for me its the fall of the Iron Curtain and that only a few months after Tiananmen Square.

Three day queues in Bucharest for a Hungarian visa and travelling from Budapest to Vienna in August 89 in trains stuffed with East German refugees knowing that you were literally witnessing history first hand is probably my highlight.

Worked at the1998 World Cup and sitting behind he goal as Zidane headed the first two goals in was something special too as was that night in Paris.

On a smaller note witnessing first hand two peaceful, bloodless coups in Guinea Bissau and reading a totally different version in the International Herald Tribune a week later making me realise that some people in the media really do twist the news to suit their own agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Spice burger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the shootout v romania and the explosion of celebration on every street in the country,city winning the league at the last minute and the birth of my kids

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

A terrible moment was 9/11...I really thought WW3 was just days away.

Greatest current thing is the amount of knowledge in my hand through the Web and smartphones. ..truly amazing.

I hope to be alive to see man land on Mars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Total solar eclipse ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Brancott wrote: »
    Eradication of many diseases happened mainly before my time but the improvements in oncology have been huge over the past decade.

Technically we've only eradicated small pox and only in the wild. And that was in the 70s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Hoping we might actually find some signs of life somewhere else before my lifetime's up! That'd be pretty cool, even if it's just microbes or insects or something.

Things that I find most mind blowing that occurred in my lifetime:

True mass global communications - cheap, fast, usable Internet and mobiles. I still think this is going to change everything and already is doing.

Ireland liberalising. I'm only hitting the big 30 but this place has changed beyond all recognition since I was a kid. It was so stuffy and conservative when I think back on it. There's still some legacy issues but for a non-conformist, non-heterosexual, atheist it's a way nicer country. Most likely if I'd been a bit older I reckon I'd have left. I can't imagine having being a young adult here in the 80s!! How did you all not just emigrate?!

The collapse of the Soviet bloc and the opening up of Eastern Europe ... All these cities and countries that suddenly appeared from beyond an iron curtain. Happened in my lifetime although I'm too young to remember the before bit, but still very cool.

Cheap and frequent air travel!! There's soooo much more of the world open to me that would have been unaffordable to visit in the 70, 80s and even 90s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Seeing Green Sea turtles nesting and laying eggs at night on Ascension Island a couple of years ago, then at dawn the thousands of little hatchlings from earlier nests breaking out of the sand and heading down the beach to the sea.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

^ Cool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Internet.

Stuttgart. 1988. England 0 Ireland 1. I was there.

Something about two weeks ago, 62-38 it ended up to the surprise of many, surprise because 40/41 areas were decent. Ireland 2015.

Nutribullets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    Internet.

Stuttgart. 1988. England 0 Ireland 1. I was there.

Something about two weeks ago, 62-38 it ended up to the surprise of many, surprise because 40/41 areas were decent. Ireland 2015.

Nutribullets.
    I don't know what you are talking about !

Is this some kind of SPY Code !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Large Hadron collider.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Sporting wise, it has to be Istanbul.

Apart from that, people getting fitted with hearing aids.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Large Hadron collider.
    Well worth a mention.

I hope they find out some more good stuff .

I am impatient and mad for new information.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

The first untethered spacewalk...

On Feb. 7, 1984, two Challenger space shuttle astronauts, Capt. Bruce McCandless II and Col.l Robert L. Stewart, performed the first untethered spacewalk during the STS-41B mission. “Free of any lifeline and propelled into the dark void by tiny jets, they became, in effect, the first human satellites

http://learning.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/feb-7-1984-nasa-astronauts-perform-first-untethered-spacewalk/?_r=0

The pictures & footage still amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

The incredible rise and then spectacular fall of...

...Sunny Delight.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    The incredible rise and then spectacular fall of...

...Sunny Delight.
    And chicken tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

blinding wrote: »
    A Black man being elected as President of the United States

Will we see a Woman being elected as President ?

Hopefully not this election considering the likely candidate would be Clinton. Bernie Sanders, as unlikely as it is, becoming president of the USA could be the most important president they have ever had after Lincoln. If he doesn't get the democratic candidacy I will be severely disappointed in that party.

For the question though, the most important and not in a good way was how much this country changed mid-90's. I remember noticing so much Americanisation at the time and people got caught up in the Celtic Tiger. We have never been the same since; we lost a lot of what made us great. It was becoming, and still is, just another Anglophone country obsessed with wealth and assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Technology but mobile phones especially and the impact this has on our lives

Berlin Wall

The different nationalalities emigrating to Ireland - the fact the Ireland was/is a crountry where people migrate too

Female Irish presidents

Queen coming to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Has to be marriage equality. I still can't believe it sometimes. I grew up in the Ireland that was governed as much by the church as the Dail. To see the country finally moving away from that kind of control is amazing, long may it continue.

molly09 wrote: »
    Technology but mobile phones especially and the impact this has on our lives

Berlin Wall

The different nationalalities emigrating to Ireland - the fact the Ireland was/is a crountry where people migrate too

Female Irish presidents

Queen coming to Ireland
    I was too young to remember but it looked like an amazing Slane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

This

Advertisement