Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nobel Laureate: Female Scientists cause trouble for men in Labs.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

What do you mean?

Think she's implying he might be a bit of a.. runt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Sexy sexist* gets sexist debating sexism..

*The one sitting to the left of Kay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Sexy sexist* gets sexist debating sexism..

*The one sitting to the left of Kay.

I almost cried laughing watching that video :D

The face on the science tutor throughout most of it -

tumblr_lnvvueuSsj1qcj56b.png

ps: You're not allowed to observe that the science tutor was attractive, that's objectification, hence why I made no commentary on the blonde Hugh Grant :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Maybe if the girls stay in the girls labs and the boys stay in the boys labs, the boys won't steal the girls' work and pass it off as their own for a nobel prize
    Although going by wiki there's a lot of stealing going on :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,011 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, this thread has gotten a lot busier.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That woman is talking absolute bollox about a gender imbalance against women in science at the moment. There was mostly women in my undergraduate degree. There is currently nothing stopping women doing science.

Edit: that's a little harsh. What I mean is no one should listen to anyone telling them they cannot do something. I come from a disadvantaged background and all through my life and even today you will hear some bigots saying that disadvantaged children don't want education as much as richer children. If I didn't enter science because of their opinion well I'd have no one to blame but myself.

In short I don't think women are so fickle as to give up on a dream in science because some sexist bastard says they aren't as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

This would have made a great Carry On film .... Carry On Scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I think the main thing to take from his comments is that more scientists are socially inept than are not.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think the main thing to take from his comments is that more scientists are socially inept than are not.

Because 1 guy is sexist, the rest of us are socially inept?

I mean, I am, but that shouldn't reflect on the rest of them :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

bluewolf wrote: »
    Maybe if the girls stay in the girls labs and the boys stay in the boys labs...

And what about the 50 or so other genders?? You pig!

• Advertisement

Because 1 guy is sexist, the rest of us are socially inept?

I mean, I am, but that shouldn't reflect on the rest of them :pac:

Haha

/ruffles ScienceNerd's hair

This guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

blinding wrote: »
    He is an old man brought up in different times. This may have been his own experience which he may have caused or mis-interpreted.

Give him a bit of leeway.
    But surely if he is as intelligent and smart as everyone says he is, he more than most men should be capable of realizing that sexism is wrong? I'd wager he does know that he was stereotyping but simply chose to do so anyway. Kind of sad, and does the field of science no favours.

What do you mean?
    Think she's implying he might be a bit of a.. runt.

What he said. :)

K4t wrote: »
    But surely if he is as intelligent and smart as everyone says he is, he more than most men should be capable of realizing that sexism is wrong? I'd wager he does know that he was stereotyping but simply chose to do so anyway. Kind of sad, and does the field of science no favours.

Intelligent in one way. Plenty of people who excel in one field but are completely racist.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Intelligent in one way. Plenty of people who excel in one field but are completely racist.
    Of course. But my point is that surely in 2015, living in the Uk, this great scientific thinker can rationalize his thoughts regarding women? It seems strange that he can't. Which is why I would say it's simply that he won't. He admits himself that he's a "chauvinist", but he's more of a prick imo.

Equally, just because he has made these comments does not mean he should be removed from his position in the research team as the comments have nothing to do with the work he is employed to do.

Equally, just because he has made these comments does not mean he should be removed from his position in the research team as the comments have nothing to do with the work he is employed to do.

They do if his attitudes permeate the workplace and adversely affect the people he works with.

Removed might be a bit extreme, but it would do a dinosaur like him no harm to be made do some sensitivity course or something. Might encourage him to engage his brain before he opens his mouth on the matter again.

Candie wrote: »
    They do if his attitudes permeate the workplace and adversely affect the people he works with.

Removed might be a bit extreme, but it would do a dinosaur like him no harm to be made do some sensitivity course or something. Might encourage him to engage his brain before he opens his mouth on the matter again.

"Sensitivity" course so he can deal better with women who cry easily?

No, sensitivity so that he gains the skills to recognise when his foot is firmly in his mouth.

This. I've seen too many academics put get away with all sorts with students and post grads.

• Advertisement

This. I've seen too many academics put get away with all sorts with students and post grads.

Male doctors are by far the worst. The ultimate chauvinists.

Sensitivity so half the lab doesn't feel uncomfortable around the dinosaur.

Thank god for my lovely boss. He's a great boss and an even better friend, we have a great laugh together. Working with good people is such a joy and makes every day a pleasure even when the stress is boiling. I can't imagine the misery of having to work with the likes of Tim Hunt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

No, sensitivity so that he gains the skills to recognise when his foot is firmly in his mouth.

He should be free to speak however he chooses without the flippin' thought police breathing down his neck. It's not like it was hate speech.

K4t wrote: »
    Of course. But my point is that surely in 2015, living in the Uk, this great scientific thinker can rationalize his thoughts regarding women? It seems strange that he can't. Which is why I would say it's simply that he won't. He admits himself that he's a "chauvinist", but he's more of a prick imo.

I'm sure he thinks he's being rational. Like you said he's a pr1ck.

He should be free to speak however he chooses without the flippin' thought police breathing down his neck. It's not like it was hate speech.
    True, it was more like stupid speech. And when one says stupid things, one should be prepared to be challenged. As a man of science, he should know that better than anyone.

Male doctors are by far the worst. The ultimate chauvinists.

Absolutely has never been my experience.

He's free to say what ever stupid outdated crap he wants. Everybody else is free to think less of him because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I don't think people realise how stressful an environment a lab can be. You'd be forgiven for crying.

Can say this about a lot of sci/tech environments. I've known programmers of large corporate websites and projects who are sometimes driven to tears when the site is meant to go live at 9AM, it's 5:30AM and PHP is throwing up a parse error on line 523, when the actual syntax problem is eventually discovered to be on line 14. And I wouldn't judge them for that for even a moment. :p

@frostyjacks I believe 100% in unfettered freedom of opinion and speech as most here know, but that doesn't mean we can't call someone a feckin' eejit or discuss how something utterly vile they've said is saddening. I don't believe in firing people for exercising that right, however if one expresses an opinion which subsequently creates problems among their colleagues, there's a possible case for it. For instance, if I went on a racist rant about black people and I was on a research team with four black people all of whom now found it understandably difficult to take me seriously, there'd be a legitimate case for removing me from the team. It wouldn't be merely about removing me for making distasteful comments, but for making comments which essentially abused some of my colleagues. Would you not say that's a reasonable case?

For instance, if you were on a board in Australia and one of your colleagues was heard saying "God I hate working with Irish people, all they do is get locked and screw up their work, really they shouldn't be allowed to work in this company", how easy would it be for you to have a decent working relationship with the same man in the future?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

I can see his point. There are women in our office who, when work gets really busy and stressful, often get all emotional. You just have to accept that's how women behave. It's a price worth paying though in this nice weather when they get their pins out.
    The guy just seems like a clueless auld fella - somebody mentioned an old Sheldon Cooper, nails it IMO. I wouldn't want people to be too harsh on him.

Stuff like the above post is much worse IMO. At least Hunt has the excuse of being 70 and brought up in very different times.
    There is also a study in the Journal Of Scientific Studies of Science that found that segregation in schools led to higher levels of gayness.
    Led by a leading scientician.

Advertisement