Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should Ireland have?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

dlouth15 wrote: »
    We could do with a higher standard of population. Abroad the people tend to be superior.

We could do with a higher standard of trolling as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Wurzelbert

Bayberry wrote: »
    If you want to have that sort of stuff in Dublin, you'll have to start electing Dubliners to the Dáil. When the Minister for Transport is from Roscommon or Limerick, the priorities are going to be different.

things like an underground metro system should be each city’s responsibility, not something a national government would discuss...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wurzelbert wrote: »
    things like an underground metro system should be each city’s responsibility, not something a national government would discuss...

That's another thing we should have, actual local and civic government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Just pay for?

Valetta wrote: »
    Just pay for?

well, no, the city should, possibly with some state support...and the whole thing would be „part funded by the eu“ anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,834 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Valetta wrote: »
    Just pay for?

If we had a local system of government we could reasonably have a local system of taxation as well (as well as a presumably smaller state income tax than what we have now). There would be a greater sense of personal control over how one's tax money was being spent, and a much better sense of the benefits that accrue to everyone as citizens. The local politicians would be more accountable for how they spent money, since there wouldn't be the sense (which we clearly have now) that anything they spend was finagled from the government anyway, and isn't it about time we had a few bob from that shower up in Dublin.

Meanwhile Dublin could go about developing its infrastructure in a rational and sensible way. Step one for me would be creating a single, centralised Dublin local government, instead of the four of them or whatever it is we have now, with an elected mayor at the centre of it. That would go a long way towards turning Dublin into a world-class city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

How about we start with a train that goes from the city center to the Airport

vangoz wrote: »
    How about we start with a train that goes from the city center to the Airport

yes, that should be the main priority...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

323 wrote: »
    For preserving mainly used smoking, salting and pickling. Many of the fishing and preserving techniques were actually introduced to Scotland from Ireland in the 1700's.
    As A Tyrant Named Miltiades! said we did have a fishing industry. Quite a lucrative one too, as far back as the 18th century. Intiatives were first setup in the mid 1700's to develop fishing, buildings, training, subsidies for exports and levies on imported fish products, etc
    It did have periods ups and down though for various reasons, cycles of fish stocks, emigration and various uprisings.

Look around the coast and islands and you can still find the old stone smoking houses. Lots of old photos around harbor pubs still from the mid 1800's showing the stacks of thousands of barrels of herring and spratt (pilchard) and other fish, sailing ships in the harbors taking these products abroad, to the continent and the USA.

We have the best fishing grounds in the world, bar none. Why we never developed it properly after independence? then gave it away? Same reasons we scrapped what was then the most advanced public transport/tram system in the world, rather than develop it further or even take it underground.
    Plus some of the other things we should have in Ireland but don't.
    Political incompetence, shortsightedness and cronyism ?? I dono

All news to me I have to confess. I'm intrigued now. How did they pickle - with vinegar? Where did they source that? Where did they get the salt? I know of no salt mines or evaporation beds on our coast? Can you give me an example of one of these smoke houses on our coast or one of our islands? Or indeed an instance of a photo in a harbour pub with these ships stocked with fish for export? I'd be very intrigued if they were smoking fish with wood when people could only use turf for cabin fires. I think the fact remains that for a poverty-stricken, cabin-dwelling peasant in the 1840s fish are not a realistic second option after potato failure. You may be getting in a boat alright - but a big one and not coming back.
    No British or Irish govt levied the purchase of fishing boats so why was there no entrepreneurial take-up if we had 'the best fishing grounds in the world'? You initially seemed to offer answers in your post but I only have additional questions now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Monorail.

• Advertisement

Monorail.

yeah, or maybe even a maglev train from the airport via connolly and pearse to heuston or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Someone mentioned Costco. Hells to the yeah. It would kill off so many retailers and the likes of Musgraves would have a sh*tfit so certain interest groups would not allow it. Them wagon wheel sized pizzas tho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Ogalo and oporto.

Both extremely delicious Portugese chicken fast food.

Yum

Was in australia

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

we should have an airforce capable of defending our air space. The cost of this per annum would run the country for all of several minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭stehyl15

Ogalo and oporto.

Both extremely delicious Portugese chicken fast food.

Yum

Was in australia

Nandos basically

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Seafood resetaurants.

Seafood takeaways by the sea side.

Seafood generally.

We are an island. Why is seafood so expensive, and why is it not part of our history?

I read a book on medieval history once which showed that Ireland has never had a fond relationship with seafood, not even after food preservation techniques were acquired.

Skibbereen was a mortality black-spot during the Great Famine. 10,000 bodies are buried in its famine cemetary, despite the fact that the fish were jumping out of the river and conditions were suitable for fishing.

Why does Ireland not have a seafood culture?

The British controlled the fishing.A licence was needed.And if you could afford that you then needed the gear.
    Poaching either hunting or fishing was a hanging offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

A big monument in the shape of a needle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Spending a bigger percentage of our GDP on defence.

The British controlled the fishing.A licence was needed.And if you could afford that you then needed the gear.
    Poaching either hunting or fishing was a hanging offence.
    I am aware of the ban on poaching, which by the time of the famine, had been considerably relaxed. Very few, if any, men were hanged for taking fish at that time. In any event, as I went on to say...
    I'm not talking about helping themselves. I'm asking why the resource was not exploited, or where it was, why it was not availed of. Even Cecil Woodham Smith, although she was critical of the British establishment in her book The Great Hunger, admits that sometimes it was difficult to shift fish!

Unbelievable.

Even fishermen sold their fish for potatoes. There was a cult of the potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Bath & Bodyworks
    Old Navy
    Publix supermarket
    Chick-Fil-A
    Krispy Kreme
    Cinnabon
    Panera

Public squares / piazzas like you see in other European cities, with cafes and tables (I know we don't really have the weather for it, but you know what I mean)

Cafes that stay open late

Decently priced soda in pubs (why is a pint of Coke -2 pub sized bottles- more expensive than a pint of beer????) It'd drive you to drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

cactusgal wrote: »

Public squares / piazzas like you see in other European cities, with cafes and tables (I know we don't really have the weather for it, but you know what I mean)

They'd just be overrun by junkies, like every other public space in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

They'd just be overrun by junkies, like every other public space in Dublin.

... that is nonsense. Obviously there is an issue with people suffering from drug addiction in the city centre but scaremongering hyperbole like that is just ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

This.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33097769

We need this right now. :)

catallus wrote: »
    This.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33097769

We need this right now. :)

more lunchtime sex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

a bridge to nowhere

free opium dens

another national park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

more lunchtime sex?

giggity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Amsterdam style coffeeshops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Cafes that open late = empty cafes.

A more mature or respectful relationship with alcohol and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 FreaksAndGeeks

Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms that are reasonably priced. Not €8 a box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Fruit Loops and Lucky Charms that are reasonably priced. Not €8 a box.
    You're obviously worth it......

Advertisement