Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New online broker entrant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

manonboard wrote: »
    Can anyone explain this total difference box to me?
    When is it different from? What value it represents exactly?

Its the box with the day difference.

If i have 10k, and withdraw money to my current account, does this change this value? (eg can i remove my profit?)

The difference of money lodged into the account and the value of the account in total

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It's a pity they don't have a demo account functionality.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you short stocks with Degiro?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭cromelex

Zascar wrote: »
    Sorry if this is a stupid question but can you short stocks with Degiro?

Yes, with a non-"basic", non-"custody" account (ie, "active" or "trader" would allow it).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ahh ok, I see the upgrade link on the site now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

Hi,

I have an 'active' account type with Degiro. How can I tell if its 'custody' or 'non-custody' ? Is there an option to move to a 'custody' account , I cant seem to find much on it on their site?

Thanks,

F

• Registered Users Posts: 3 spaceman902

howdy, it should tell you the account type you have in the top left corner of the screen beside your logon. If you hit change settings button right beside your logon there some account options, but as I opened with a custody account, I never had to change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭framework123

howdy, it should tell you the account type you have in the top left corner of the screen beside your logon. If you hit change settings button right beside your logon there some account options, but as I opened with a custody account, I never had to change anything.

Thanks for reply. Ya i checked there and all it says is: account type 'active'. There is an option to upgrade and when i click that the 3 account types available are basic,active and trader. Says nothing bout custody in any of them.
    Ill bang them off an email tomorrow i guess. Are the charges much diff with a custody account?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Thanks for reply. Ya i checked there and all it says is: account type 'active'. There is an option to upgrade and when i click that the 3 account types available are basic,active and trader. Says nothing bout custody in any of them.
    Ill bang them off an email tomorrow i guess. Are the charges much diff with a custody account?

A basic account is a non-custody account. From what I can see basic accounts have lower fees but your securities are loaned out and retail investors might not want that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

DeGiro just got a new Market tab today, where you can see data about world markets, currencies, futures and winners and losers from many exchanges, although Nasdaq is missing. ISEQ is listed but there are no data presently.

Overall it's a nice improvement.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭PaulM1977

Just a question, can you trade currencies with DeGiro? Had a very quick look yesterday and couldn't see anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 iain56

Just opened a DeGiro account, was looking to purchase Apple Green shares but see that they only offer the GBP security (limited Irish selection really!).

Are there any disadvantages aside from currency to buying the one traded in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

iain56 wrote: »
    Just opened a DeGiro account, was looking to purchase Apple Green shares but see that they only offer the GBP security (limited Irish selection really!).

Are there any disadvantages aside from currency to buying the one traded in London?

If Sterling depreciates against Euro as a result of Brexit any gains could be wiped out ....with the possibility of a loss even!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ToneW

Why do they require your pps number when opening an account?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

ToneW wrote: »
    Why do they require your pps number when opening an account?

This question has already been asked and answered in the thread. Read the thread before asking repetitive questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Does degiro offer leverage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

Does degiro offer leverage ?

Just look at the website! Its listed right there: https://www.degiro.ie/products-and-markets.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ToneW

Frogdog wrote: »
    This question has already been asked and answered in the thread. Read the thread before asking repetitive questions.

Someone asked if it was legal for a broker to ask for a pps number, I asked why a broker asks for a pps number. These are two different questions.

I presume its because of tax purposes, so someone cannot open a brokerage account and not declare their tax on any ptofits. So giving a pps number makes it easier for the revenue to access your information in this regard.

I could be completely wrong which is why I asked the question thinking maybe a more well-informed person could explain why it is used. Apologies if this confused you.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

You asked why "they" require a PPS number. "They" meaning Degiro, not all brokers. The answer already given in the thread was that every broker requests it, it's not specific to Degiro.

And yes, strangely enough, they require your PPS number for tax purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Can somebody tell me how the currency exchange works with DeGiro. I presume the base currency is Euro, so if I want to trade a Nasdaq stock I presume they take the converted amount from the Euro balance, is this correct and what rate do they use (is the rate similar to that used by the banks with a wide buy/sell gap)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭topper_harley2

They charge 0.1% to do the FX. The rate I assume is the daily exchange rate.

https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/IE_Feeschedule.pdf:

All foreign currencies via Auto FX trader: 0.10% *

* processed in buy/sell price at time of execution.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sportin

Can somebody help me please on how to short a stock using Degiro.
    Etrade used to have a "sell short" option that is not available in Degiri.
    I have an Actuve trader a/c

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Sportin

Can somebody help me please on how to short a stock using Degiro.
    Etrade used to have a "sell short" option that is not available in Degiri.
    I have an Actuve trader a/c

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

Could someone explain what the red highlighted sentence means:
    Limit Order
    You set a minimum price (in case of a sell) or maximum price (in case of a buy) for which you
    want to execute your Order. Your Order will never be executed at a worse price than your limit
    price. If the price that you have stated is not attainable at that time, your Order will be sent to the
    place of execution at which the most economical (best-price) execution is expected.
    For some
    products, you can choose to which place of execution the Order must be sent. You should then
    select 'own routing'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EmonMCC

Being spoiled by a flat fee of $8.95 per order (my current broker is Charles Schwab), I was wondering which broker of choice I'm going to sign up with once moved to the ROI. So I found the Degiro website and was stunned by their low fees. Do you guys have any experience about them? I'm into dividend investing in US blue chips so this would be my highest concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭airmech

Hi,

I tried to set up an account. It is telling me under tasks still outstanding to transfer funds, i have done this. Will it just automatically allow me access when they have confirmed i have done this? How will they confirm its me, do they just match the bank account registered to the username to the account that lodged the money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

airmech wrote: »
    Hi,

I tried to set up an account. It is telling me under tasks still outstanding to transfer funds, i have done this. Will it just automatically allow me access when they have confirmed i have done this? How will they confirm its me, do they just match the bank account registered to the username to the account that lodged the money?

Yes, it'll take a few working days.

You need to make 100% sure that the money gets sent from the same account details you put in at the start. Mine went missing as I put in my current account details but ended up transferring from my savings - however they fixed it for me when I called up.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭airmech

Thanks , i have access now. I am trying to buy on the ASX but cannot get any price info, has anyone else tried to buy on this market?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

airmech wrote: »
    Thanks , i have access now. I am trying to buy on the ASX but cannot get any price info, has anyone else tried to buy on this market?

There is no price info quoted so you have to use something like google finance to get an idea of where it is (when the market is open). I just realised this..

So you'll need to be up between the hours of 1am and 7am to make the trades here in Ireland - take a price from google finance as your limit price although it is 20mins delayed so it won't start showing prices until around 1.20am

If your order doesn't get filled try increasing your limit order slightly as the price will have moved during the 20min delay...and with lithium it's probably gone up :pac:

Advertisement