Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Irish summer ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Jaysus, how do you people remember what the summer was like. I can't remember what the last summer was like.
    Some of ye lads can remember the 70s and 80s.... Impressive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Nabber wrote: »
    Jaysus, how do you people remember what the summer was like. I can't remember what the last summer was like.

We remember things that interest us.....remember that the next time someone forgets your name! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Just like Schadenfreudia said, we remember things that are of interest whilst we also remember weather extreme events - because they're so extreme, how can you forget them?

I remember these events to give interesting facts about past weather to people and compare with the present. For example, I compared the Summer of 2011 to 2015 and they are both very similar here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Just like Schadenfreudia said, we remember things that are of interest whilst we also remember weather extreme events - because they're so extreme, how can you forget them?

I remember these events to give interesting facts about past weather to people and compare with the present. For example, I compared the Summer of 2011 to 2015 and they are both very similar here.

Irish summers don't contain extreme events. Unless by Irish terms we call 28c extreme. Other than that we lack in most weather events.

I enjoy weather, but I find it hard to think of memorable weather events in a Dublin summer.

I remember in 92 I clocked my friends mam in the face with a water balloon, accidentally.

Irish summers don't contain extreme events. Unless by Irish terms we call 28c extreme. Other than that we lack in most weather events.

I enjoy weather, but I find it hard to think of memorable weather events in a Dublin summer.

I remember in 92 I clocked my friends mam in the face with a water balloon, accidentally.

By extreme events I mean not normal months like:

December 2015
    February 2014
    July 2013
    June 2012
    April 2011
    December 2010
    November 2010
    November 2009
    July 2009
    August 2008
    April 2007
    July 2006
    (amazingly, 2004 and 2005 did not have one extreme month)
    August 2003
    March 2003 (felt more like April in the sunshine)
    November 2002
    October 2002
    February 2002

Well some summers do be memorable (I know this is off topic) in Dublin. Examples:

Summer 2014 - June and July were awesome whilst August was plain awful
    Summer 2013 - June and August were just pleasant, nothing out of the ordinary whilst July was proper Summer weather
    Summer 2010 - June and August were very pleasant whilst July was terrible
    Summer 2006 - June and especially July were just too pleasant, it didn't feel like Ireland in these months 'cause of the heat and sunshine whilst August was much more average after a very warm start

^ I hope I cleared up the idea for you of what I mean by an extreme event or month. Anyways on-topic, I already confirmed that Grange's worst summer was 1986.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

2007 was the worst year for rain on record and it rained every single day that summer it seemed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

Extreme, like everything, is relative.

In Ireland 30C is extreme; as is -10C.

As is a month without rain...etc

Stinicker wrote: »
    2007 was the worst year for rain on record and it rained every single day that summer it seemed.

Well it rained at least in one station during the period June 12th - July 29th of that Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Timmyboy

I would like to update on this.

My dullest Summer months

1. August 2008 - 79 hours
    2. August 2002 - 85 hours
    3. August 2011 - 91 hours
    4. August 2006 - 94 hours
    5. July 1986 - 96 hours
    6. July 2002 - 104 hours
    7. August 1994 - 108 hours
    8. July 2015 - 110 hours
    9. August 1986 - 117 hours
    10. August 2013 - 119 hours

My wettest Summer months

1. August 2008 - 183.1mm
    2. June 2012 - 182.2mm
    3. August 2014 - 171.4mm
    4. August 1986 - 168.7mm
    5. July 2009 - 163.9mm
    6. June 2007 - 135.5mm
    7. June 1997 - 126.4mm
    8. June 1993 - 121.2mm (about 101.1mm of that on the 11th)
    9. July 2007 - 117.6mm
    10. June 1998 - 113.5mm

My coldest Summer months

1. August 1986 - 9.7c (exceptionally cold!!!!)
    2. June 1991 - 10.3c
    3. June 2011 - 11.1c
    4. June 1987 - 11.2c
    5. June 2012 - 11.3c
    6. June 1999 & 2015 - 11.6c
    7. June 1998 & August 2011 - 11.7c
    8. June 2002 & August 2014 - 11.8c
    9. July 1988 & June 2001 - 11.9c
    10. June 1990 & August 2015 - 12.1c

Results show that the top two worst Summer months in my records are August 1986 & 2008.

I remember seeing snow on hills in mid Cork North West in July of 1986. Your records helped me to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

By extreme events I mean not normal months like:

December 2015
    February 2014
    July 2013
    June 2012
    April 2011
    December 2010
    November 2010
    November 2009
    July 2009
    August 2008
    April 2007
    July 2006
    (amazingly, 2004 and 2005 did not have one extreme month)
    August 2003
    March 2003 (felt more like April in the sunshine)
    November 2002
    October 2002
    February 2002

Well some summers do be memorable (I know this is off topic) in Dublin. Examples:

Summer 2014 - June and July were awesome whilst August was plain awful
    Summer 2013 - June and August were just pleasant, nothing out of the ordinary whilst July was proper Summer weather
    Summer 2010 - June and August were very pleasant whilst July was terrible
    Summer 2006 - June and especially July were just too pleasant, it didn't feel like Ireland in these months 'cause of the heat and sunshine whilst August was much more average after a very warm start

^ I hope I cleared up the idea for you of what I mean by an extreme event or month. Anyways on-topic, I already confirmed that Grange's worst summer was 1986.

17 extreme events in 14 years.

You may describe them as abnormal events, but extreme is not the correct label.

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    17 extreme events in 14 years.

You may describe them as abnormal events, but extreme is not the correct label.

'Em yes it is, it isn't if you live in countries like the USA or Spain. This is Ireland we're talking 'bout. Each country has its own weather extremes!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

People fail to understand that "extreme" is a relative term.

Timmyboy wrote: »
    I remember seeing snow on hills in mid Cork North West in July of 1986. Your records helped me to remember.

Yeah aren't we lucky to have statistics help us to remember how bad some past summers were in Ireland :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Stinicker wrote: »

I remember that summer very well. We got a prolonged period of lovely weather in around April of that year and then it was followed up by over 3 full months of wet or showery weather. I think it really did rain every single day for the June-August period. September was way better. 2008 was another very poor and similar summer. 2009 was the same. 2010 and 2011 were a bit better. 2012 was the last really poor summer we got. That year I remember we got some lovely weather for a couple of brief weeks before Easter and then it got very cold at Easter and then wet for the summer. Things improved somewhat for August.

I can't honestly remember Summer 2007. I was either in Salou or 4 months in hospital very sick. I remember 2009 though being very poor as I escaped for it by going on holidays to Torremolinos and I got a nice week long break from the rough weather of late July into early August. I came back in August around the right time (4 August) when a dry spell set in for my area which lasted until the 15th whilst other parts of the country got affected by rain on the 9th, 11th and 14th. It's mad how this happened:

Grange's maximums for May 30th - June 6th 2009
    May 30th - 27c
    May 31st - 27c
    June 1st - 28c
    June 2nd - 28c
    June 3rd - 25c
    June 4th - 22c
    June 5th - 16c
    June 6th - 9c

From Summer into deep Winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

This Summer has not been anything to write home about, okay maybe not as bad as some of the previous ones mentioned, but nothing to write home about. A very good spell in late May and first week in June, but apart from that very little to get excited about, but I suppose that is what we call an Irish Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Yeah, our summers are gradually getting more depressing if you ask me.

This summer has been the final straw, and next year we will definitely book a week abroad. The kids, and me too, deserve at least some sunshine on their holidays.

It appears that are summers are now moving forward, seems to be a pattern or am I imagining it? Our best weather is now around the April/May time, July and August are usually write-offs in recent years.

NIMAN wrote: »

This summer has been the final straw, and next year we will definitely book a week abroad. The kids, and me too, deserve at least some sunshine on their holidays.

It appears that are summers are now moving forward, seems to be a pattern or am I imagining it? Our best weather is now around the April/May time, July and August are usually write-offs in recent years.

IMO, they have not been getting more depressing, they have been equally as depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

NIMAN wrote: »

Yeah I agree, apart from 2013 when we had three weeks of amazing weather, our best weather seems to occur during May, and possibly early June. In 2015 if memory serves me right, we had two weeks of great weather in mid April, then it all went pear shaped :(

I think this Summer is another perfect middle of the road Summer so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I thought it was pretty decent until I saw the met eireann stats for July.

It was 1.1c below average for Athenry and 158% of rainfall. Lots of the country was wetter and colder than average.
    But because it was sunnier than normal and winds were weak it seemed better than average in my opinion. Also i think a large chunk of that rain came in the space of 2 days towards the end of the month.

I thought it was pretty decent until I saw the met eireann stats for July.

It was 1.1c below average for Athenry and 158% of rainfall. Lots of the country was wetter and colder than average.
    But because it was sunnier than normal and winds were weak it seemed better than average in my opinion. Also i think a large chunk of that rain came in the space of 2 days towards the end of the month.

You're like me :D, as long as it's sunny, it's not too bad to me. If it's dull, oh my god absolutely brutal and atrocious. Lol.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Here's one of my simple criteria for a good/bad summer month...in Dublin 16.

July 2017 : 22 days with max of 20.0c + = good
    July 2016 : 23 days with max of 20.0c + = good
    July 2015 : 13 days with max of 20.0c + = not good
    July 2014 : 26 days with max of 20.0c + = very good
    July 2013 : 30 days with max of 20.0c + = very good
    July 2012 : 11 days with max of 20.0c + = bad

:)

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Here's one of my simple criteria for a good/bad summer month...in Dublin 16.

July 2017 : 22 days with max of 20.0c + = good
    July 2016 : 23 days with max of 20.0c + = good
    July 2015 : 13 days with max of 20.0c + = not good
    July 2014 : 26 days with max of 20.0c + = very good
    July 2013 : 30 days with max of 20.0c + = very good
    July 2012 : 11 days with max of 20.0c + = bad

:)

I forgot to answer to this :o. Love how in 2012 you had 11 days with 20c or more and I had only 5.

Nice way to do it I guess.

I think this Summer is another perfect middle of the road Summer so far.

I say this and then have a totally different opinion a few weeks later, yeah this Summer is sh!t.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I say this and then have a totally different opinion a few weeks later, yeah this Summer is sh!t.

could be the worst summer we've had for a few years in the Dublin/Meath/Kildare region?

The first half of summer was grand, but things really went pear shaped after about mid July. MT's outlooks as well as BBC's outlooks doesn't exactly sound positive for the remainder of this month either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,880 ✭✭✭Storm 10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Storm 10 wrote: »

Clicked on, and was greeted by not one, but two images highlighting Carol Kirkwood's dress style:

image.png

image.png

Time for a New World Order.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

''Twas a great summer in the southeast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

''Twas a great summer in the southeast

It was an mediocre summer in the west; neither good nor bad.

Roll on Autumn.

New Moon

Advertisement