Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Non book reader and want book information/questions thread - No direct spoilers

Options
  • 08-06-2015 4:27pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Ok; I keep seeing questions popping up in the "Non book reader" thread about how does this tie in with the book etc. or what's the point of story line X?!

To try to help answer these questions I'm creating a new thread; this is for non book readers and book readers and will contain spoilers. How ever any answers to any questions posted by the book posters have to use the
    This is a spoiler
    tags. That's [ SPOILER] Whatever you type [ /SPOILER] without the spaces.

Any answers should quote the post you're answering; your answer in spoilers to make it possible for non book readers only to read the answers they want to read; hence it should look like this:
    What's the point with Bran's story line?
    To annoy you to death

This will make sure people can read the thread and only spoiler the answers they care about; it also means the answers have to tie directly to the question at hand. Please try to keep the general chit chat down and limit it to answering the question and only the question (i.e. don't start an argument over who's right or wrong please!).

Putting it as sticky for now for visibility (and if someone has a better name for the thread I'm all for it :P )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭mikefoxo

How can Sansa marry Ramsey if she's already married to Tyrion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

mikefoxo wrote: »
    The marriage was never consummated

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

mikefoxo wrote: »

The book answer is
    that she doesn't marry Ramsay. Its Jeyne Poole, who did appear in season 1 of the TV show iirc

This is the proper poiler bit - The reason for this is
    that Arya still hasn't surfaced in Westeros so the Lannisters have sent Jeyne up north pretending she's Arya (who's gonna say different, nobody has seen her in years?). "Arya" is betrothed to Ramsay to solidify a Stark/Bolton union for much the same reasons as the Sansa/Ramsay TV version.

Or that :pac: Completely forgot that part

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Not really spoilery but, how much is known about the parents of the famous Baratheon siblings? In terms of history and personality? The three boys were so different it'd be interesting to know what the parents were like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

DeadHand wrote:
    Not really spoilery but, how much is known about the parents of the famous Baratheon siblings? In terms of history and personality? The three boys were so different it'd be interesting to know what the parents were like.

Steffon Baratheon and Cassana Estermont, little is known about them aside from their ship capsized just before the shore at storms end and their bodies were never recovered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Someone died in episode 9 which upset a lot of people
    Shireen died in the last episode (ep9) Is she dead in the books? I read a comment on another website. Is this true?
    ; did this happen in the books as well?

Please spoiler that Catallus, not everyone has watched the episode yet.
    She is still alive in the books

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

Is Varys coming back?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Mormegil

Is Varys coming back?
    He'll probably be in Ep 10. There's a scene he's involved with in the books which will likely take place in the finale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is Varys coming back?
    He pops up in the epilogue of the latest book and does some stuff. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

Quoting this from the none book readers thread ;)

I'm not a book reader btw but this season feels as though they've gone away from the source material and made their own ****e up.. It doesn't really feel the same as the last few seasons.. Any book readers want to chime in here? Have they? Or is it the case of cutting a lot of sub plots out to progress the main one faster (fit it into a certain amount of seasons) I'm not asking for spoilers just want to know

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

gazzamc wrote: »
    Quoting this from the none book readers thread ;)

I'm not a book reader btw but this season feels as though they've gone away from the source material and made their own ****e up.. It doesn't really feel the same as the last few seasons.. Any book readers want to chime in here? Have they? Or is it the case of cutting a lot of sub plots out to progress the main one faster (fit it into a certain amount of seasons) I'm not asking for spoilers just want to know
    Very few storylines resemble the book at this stage. Dany and Jon are probably the most faithful but even then there's been changes (she still hasn't met Tyrion in the book, Ser Barriston is still alive and the battle for hardhome never happened, or at least hasn't yet for example).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Very few storylines resemble the book at this stage. Dany and Jon are probably the most faithful but even then there's been changes (she still hasn't met Tyrion in the book, Ser Barriston is still alive and the battle for hardhome never happened, or at least hasn't yet for example).
    Hardhome was evacuated without Jon in the books and didn't go down in a battle as far as I remember

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hardhome was evacuated without Jon in the books and didn't go do in a battle as far as I remember
    Yeah he sent someone else away to get the wildlings, but from what I remember they hadn't arrived back yet so we don't actually know what happened there thus far?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭amos13

gazzamc wrote:

it is very different. This season has pretty much been entirely written by D&D, with the intention of converging the stories again in the latter stages of the story. Eg, Sansa stays in the vale, Hizdahr doesn't die at the pits but becomes king and rules Meereen now Dany is gone, Littlefinger never returns to KL, Shireen is alive and at the relative safety of the wall. The biggest change that annoys me tbh seems to be mentioned little by other posters- the importance of Ghost at the wall with Jon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Does Arya's direwolf Nymeria ever come back?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Vojera wrote: »
    Short answer, yes. Longer answer, Nymeria is with a pack of wolves roaming the Riverlands and attacking forces loyal to the crown. Arya sometimes has dreams of Nymeria with her pack.

Vojera wrote: »

before reading this you should know I reveal a fact about the Starks that has been completely omitted from the show.
    In the book she never really went away, Arya regularly wargs (just like Bran) into her during her dreams through-out the books. Some characters in Westeros also mention in passing a particularly fierce pack of wolves roaming the Riverlands iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Short answer, yes. Longer answer, Nymeria is with a pack of wolves roaming the Riverlands and attacking forces loyal to the crown. Arya sometimes has dreams of Nymeria with her pack.
    In the book she never really went away, Arya regularly wargs (just like Bran) into her during her dreams through-out the books. Some characters in Westeros also mention in passing a particularly fierce pack of wolves roaming the Riverlands iirc.

Interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

massive bits of the Dany storyline have been left out. Kings Landing has been fairly accurate I think so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Is there much left in the books that could be considered spoiler-ish for non book readers or would the missing parts be more about fleshing out certain storylines/characters etc? I suppose what I'm really asking is is it now safe to read stuff like social media comments and ASOIAF wiki pages without having season 6 spoiled?

Essien wrote: »
    Is there much left in the books that could be considered spoiler-ish for non book readers or would the missing parts be more about fleshing out certain storylines/characters etc? I suppose what I'm really asking is is it now safe to read stuff like social media comments and ASOIAF wiki pages without having season 6 spoiled?

Yeah you're pretty much good to go, everyone's in the dark about where it goes next now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Most arcs are within a chapter or two of the series at this stage; biggest spoilers would probably be around Bran. There are also significant disparities between the books and the series at this stage and side characters with arcs not shown in the series yet which could still show up in season 6.

There are a number of hinted to theories and other elements of the plot that either haven't happened in the show or have yet to happen. It's safe to say that there could be spoilers out there. The book readers like discussing potential developments based on the clues in the books. Some are more accepeted than others but none are gospel til George writes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

In the book did Theon and Sansa survive the jump? And are there any hints towards a resurrection for Jon?

In the book did Theon and Sansa survive the jump? And are there any hints towards a resurrection for Jon?
    There is no jump, Ramsey marries Jeyne Poole in the books, so Sansa is never there. And Yes, assuming you don't want me to give it away.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

There is no jump, Ramsey marries Jeyne Poole in the books, so Sansa is never there. And Yes, assuming you don't want me to give it away.

Re: Sansa and Theon
    Well, there is a jump, but it involves the seemingly cut Jeyne Poole rather than Sansa, they do survive by landing in the snow filled trench/moat but the height is described lower in the book.

Spoiler your post, its giving it away.

He wargs into Ghost, possibly! It's one of the very last chapters of ADwD and after the stabbing, Ghost opens his eyes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Is Brann and Rickon's story any further in the books?

Advertisement