Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 2 - Higher Level - June 8th***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

Kremin wrote: »
    I think 13.85 is around the right value for k, I got 13.8 or somewhere around there and got 7.5 for the distance... I did it a really long and confusing way though, so probably made a mistake lets be honest. Why is everyone saying the golf question was like an applied maths question? It wasn't a projectile question or anything, just trig?

Unless I completely missed something....

k=0.75 and -48

The slopes of the lines l1 and l2 (one positive and one negative) mean that one answer had to be above the axis and one below.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I think 13.85 is around the right value for k, I got 13.8 or somewhere around there and got 7.5 for the distance... I did it a really long and confusing way though, so probably made a mistake lets be honest. Why is everyone saying the golf question was like an applied maths question? It wasn't a projectile question or anything, just trig?

Unless I completely missed something....

It wasn't exactly like an Applied Maths question. But we were able to adapt our basic Applied Maths knowledge that the time was zero at the start and that s=ut for the second part.

Yeah one of my answers has to be wrong. I thought 3/4 sounded better so I used that in the next bit. I assume that they don't dock marks if you get the wrong answer simply becasue you got the wrong answer for the last bit though.

My way took a long time as well, way longer than the space given anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Seanh966

It wasn't exactly like an Applied Maths question. But we were able to adapt our basic Applied Maths knowledge that the time was zero at the start and that s=ut for the second part.

Yeah one of my answers has to be wrong. I thought 3/4 sounded better so I used that in the next bit. I assume that they don't dock marks if you get the wrong answer simply becasue you got the wrong answer for the last bit though.

My way took a long time as well, way longer than the space given anyways.

3/4 and -48 correct answers with distance 3

Seanh966 wrote: »
    3/4 and -48 correct answers with distance 3

Thanks, at least I used the correct one in the next part! Still don't know how I went wrong. I'll worry later, got a lot to cover now haha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Oh yeah, its not like you'll get 0. You'll only be marked down once and if you continue and use the right steps you'll get the marks for using root 365

I'm pretty sure I made that mistake and also ended up get the angle wrong... Its true that you'll only be docked for that once, right?

I thought I did alright in that paper but looking at what people are posting, pretty sure I failed... I suppose an extra year in school isn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 sfitzknott

Fairly certain I should get almost full marks in Q1, Q4, Q7 and Q9. on question 7 I used root365 as the radius as well, but other than that I think I got it all right. I didn't get anything in the second half of question 8 except the very last part. I can't remember my answers from Q3 so I'll have to have a look at it later, but I think I got most of it right. I knabbed some attempt marks for the first half of Q5 and got the right answer for the second half of 5. Q6 is the only question I really messed up on. Hadn't revised that proof and I drew the orthocentre instead of the centroid.

But ah well, it was still a brilliant paper. I'm fairly confident I may have gotten a C overall between the two papers, which is more than I went in to both hoping for.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

How many marks would you say the construction alone was because I realised I did the wrong one and I'm absolutely raging at myself because I really want to get an A... It wouldn't be that many marks would it? :L

AlfaJack wrote: »
    How many marks would you say the construction alone was because I realised I did the wrong one and I'm absolutely raging at myself because I really want to get an A... It wouldn't be that many marks would it? :L

Will be interesting to see how they mark this. I know some people who messed up construction hoping for a 10/15 split and some who didn't know the theorem hoping for a 15/10!

Last year the proof was 20 and the construction 5....but it was one of the more minor constructions.

I think 10 for the construction and 15 for the proof myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

Hard to know. I presume the theorem was worth 15 and the construction 10 but it could be the other way around

Proof is always fifteen, so by assumption, it will be ten. Proof language...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/leaving-cert-maths-paper-two-ordinary-level-students-relieved-1.2241690

Ahh on my phone but not letting me paste...

Basically saying sections on different parts of the course can now be examined on any paper. That is the philosophy anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 j9876

How many marks roughly do you think i will lose for getting the radius to be root 360?

j9876 wrote: »
    How many marks roughly do you think i will lose for getting the radius to be root 360?

You'll probably only lose 3 marks... I hope, for my own sake. My teacher explained to our class multiple times that they'll only dock you once for a mistake. As long as your methods are correct in the following questions and you get a correct answer for your value, you should get full marks in later parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

whew only 2 or 3% makes me feel a lot better... but still it only takes 1% to drop a grade xD

j9876 wrote: »

I got the radius to be 2root114, don't ask me how. I presume i will only lose at the most 5 marks for that one mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Anchor007

Is the construction either right or wrong? ie. no attempt marks. I made a slight error still got perpendicular bisectors of three sides and lines from vertices. Wrong centroid though.

^^^

Any A-level student want to do out the questions so the rest of us can see what we did and didn't do right

• Registered Users Posts: 6 smithylad123

For last part of Q7 , what did people think the area consisted of ???

The area of the two circles + the area of the two parallelograms - the two arcs on the big circle and the two arcs on the little circle, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

I found the area of the big sector in each circle and the area of the 2 quadrilaterals.

I assumed that the 2 big quadrilaterals had the same area, I think that's wrong as I didn't really have any basis to assume it but ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Shane_LFC

I said that the quadrilaterals were the same area as well. Anyone know if this is correct?

Shane_LFC wrote: »
    I said that the quadrilaterals were the same area as well. Anyone know if this is correct?

They'd have to be, right? since the radius from both circles is two sides of the parallelograms, and they share the line in the middle, and the outside side has to be the same for the shape to.. work?

Shane_LFC wrote: »

Yeah they are the same. The shape is symmetrical.

Did this out fairly rough but I'm getting 28,833?

Quadrilaterals 2(8000)
    Major Sector HAP 12348.55
    Minor Sector KBQ 484.85

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Barry1000

Anyone get 31800 for the area in question 7?

How many marks do people think the first two parts of the basketball probability question was worth? I used bernoulli trials on it just realised now its wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

area for one of the quadrilaterals was 8000 ye?
    please tell me that's right...

area for one of the quadrilaterals was 8000 ye?
    please tell me that's right...

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

i thought that was a brilliant paper, tough but fair. P1 was all weighted on calculus, this was balanced and covered all topics, section B, as with section B of P1 was tough but overall im happy with how it went. For those that looed through edco sample papers the question with the 2 cogs of 8r etc was on it which was a big bonus. I never bothered looking at the edco papers but I thought feck it i might aswell so was up till 2 the night before and im happy i did. If they didnt give the hint it would of been a complete different story for most.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Fiona G

skippy1977 wrote: »
    Yeah they are the same. The shape is symmetrical.

Did this out fairly rough but I'm getting 28,833?

Quadrilaterals 2(8000)
    Major Sector HAP 12348.55
    Minor Sector KBQ 484.85

How do we know it's symmetrical? I know it's probably obvious but I just can't see a way to be sure :P

Glad I assumed that anyway if it's right. The only answers I couldn't get out in that paper was proving that p(n+1) = 0.2p(n) thing and then I just made an educated guess at the smallest value of n in the last part of that q, I said 2. Can't believe how well it went overall though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

actually anyone get the smallest value of n to be 7 ?

Advertisement