Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC Maths Paper 2 - Ordinary Level - June 8th***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

What did you guys say for numerical continous/discrete question. I said numerical discrete, was just a guess!

Edit - Also for the last one in Q1 how many ways could the 3 numbers be put in?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

Scirpt wrote: »
    What did you guys say for numerical continous/discrete question. I said numerical discrete, was just a guess!

Edit - Also for the last one in Q1 how many ways could the 3 numbers be put in?

It was numerical continuous:)

And the Q.1 was 6C3 which equals 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 otter13

matii10 wrote: »
    Same here. Never done enlargements and just guessed that the large triangle is 1.5 times bigger than the small one.

never done enlargements was told we would have a choice between 6a and 6b and there wasn't so that question was out the window, attempted it anyway and got it all wrong but hopefully they give me something

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ko3p

sadasdsa

• Registered Users Posts: 41 ConM96

ko3p wrote: »
    sadasdsa

Yes and numerical continuous are values you can measure therefore it is numerical continuous. Google the difference between the two and it should come up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭gummibear

ConM96 wrote: »
    It was numerical continuous:)

And the Q.1 was 6C3 which equals 20.

Q. 1 c...... This topic is gone off the LC ord level syllabus and is now only a HL topic so it should not have been asked!!! Arrangements yes but Combinations / selections NO!!!! Gone- not allowed... someone made a mistake putting it in there!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Didn't know how to do enlargements. Q1 was struggle, Q9 last part, the slope/triangle questions and pretty much most of the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Rozada

Hi can anyone tell me how much you would need in paper two to pass maths in general (paper one being close to a no grade after that disaster of paper)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

Anyone hear that a maths professor was on Joe Duffy talking about paper one? He said that he believed several of the questions to be of a higher level standard. An almost identical question to question six (the triangle one) was actually on the 2013 higher level paper.

The teacher's union are having a meeting about it tonight, apparently

"Hi can anyone tell me how much you would need in paper two to pass maths in general (paper one being close to a no grade after that disaster of paper)"
    You need 240 marks out of the 600 over the two papers. So close to 80% assuming you got a few % in Paper 1. i am serious about the mistake in q 1 c by the way. its not on your syllabus anymore. shouldn't have been asked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 electromix

otter13 wrote: »
    never done enlargements was told we would have a choice between 6a and 6b and there wasn't so that question was out the window, attempted it anyway and got it all wrong but hopefully they give me something
    my teacher told us the same. But in maths exam papers it says that there gonna be no choice after 2014. I feel like i messed up a little bit my both papers.

electromix wrote: »
    my teacher told us the same. But in maths exam papers it says that there gonna be no choice after 2014. I feel like i messed up a little bit my both papers.
    Theres been a lot of chopping and changing in last few years so some of them have slipped under the radar but one that lots of people havent spotted is that Q1c was taken off the ord level course and is now a HL topic only. it shouldnt have been asked. Every student will be entitled to full marks for this part. Thats if ye kick up over it!!! IF:)
    Rozada wrote: »
    Hi can anyone tell me how much you would need in paper two to pass maths in general (paper one being close to a no grade after that disaster of paper)

you need 240 marks over the two papers. so if you got around 40 in paper 1 (disaster) you need around 200 in this one which is around the 67% mark. Do-able!!! Ye need to kick up over the mistake in Q1c. this is a higher level topic now and shouldnt have been asked on the OL paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

That first question was okay but stumped at the end!!! The statistics question was fabulous, was a bit stumped for q 2 but I managed to get it right with the answer here. Circle q was great, all that I wanted in a circle q. Find the angles was good too... Didn't get the last part (if anyone did please let me know, it was the one where E was the midpoint and you had to find the area). No extremely difficult probability q (amazingly!!!) A very nice enlargement question. The cylinder with two hemispheres was a bit odd tho! Couldn't get the last part if my life depended on it

Sorry for the little summary but I was delighted, Paper II is my worst paper out of the two.

AulBiddy wrote: »
    That first question was okay but stumped at the end!!! The statistics question was fabulous, was a bit stumped for q 2 but I managed to get it right with the answer here. Circle q was great, all that I wanted in a circle q. Find the angles was good too... Didn't get the last part (if anyone did please let me know, it was the one where E was the midpoint and you had to find the area). No extremely difficult probability q (amazingly!!!) A very nice enlargement question. The cylinder with two hemispheres was a bit odd tho! Couldn't get the last part if my life depended on it

Sorry for the little summary but I was delighted, Paper II is my worst paper out of the two.
    You were stumped at the end of q1 cos its a HL topic now. used to be OL but is gone and should NOT have been asked!!! time to kick up over this.

gummibear wrote: »
    You were stumped at the end of q1 cos its a HL topic now. used to be OL but is gone and should NOT have been asked!!! time to kick up over this.
    Are you on about the one where it asks you to say how many ways the three digits could be arranged?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

Paper 2 was so easy that I am starting to understand why they made paper 1 challenging. I still do not forgive them though :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ScealPls

Does any site have solutions yet? found paper 1 solutions hours after the exam, any out there or does anyone know where they'll be up?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Bsd

ScealPls wrote: »
    Does any site have solutions yet? found paper 1 solutions hours after the exam, any out there or does anyone know where they'll be up?

Where are solutions for paper 1?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Eazzah

Found paper 2 quite difficult, not like the past papers that I've looked at. Hopefully a B1/A2 is still possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

Did anyone get the answer for the question where you had to find the area of triangle ACE or something? It was a parallelogram split into two triangles that had no measurements

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tet2015

Almen11 wrote: »
    Did anyone get the answer for the question where you had to find the area of triangle ACE or something? It was a parallelogram split into two triangles that had no measurements

I think there was an area of parallelogram given already. I divided by 2 to get the answer since parallelograms are made of congruent triangles. Hope that was right anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jimmy420

Tet2015 wrote: »
    I think there was an area of parallelogram given already. I divided by 2 to get the answer since parallelograms are made of congruent triangles. Hope that was right anyway.

I'm pretty sure this is right. They gave the area of the parallelogram in the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ogradyliam5

bmea wrote: »
    What was the slope of P? I just had to make it up which would have lost me a few marks

I got 1 for the slope and then -1 for the perpendicular slope in one of the following questions

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Im really confused with people saying arrangements are a higher level topic but I studied that last night from my OL book??

Im really confused with people saying arrangements are a higher level topic but I studied that last night from my OL book??

Arrangements are on the course but combinations are not. you can be asked to calculate how many ways to arrange something using factorial or nPr but you cannot be asked how many ways you can select a number of things from a given number. Q 1 c did this but it is gone off the course. Will post a link to syllabus in a minute
    Are you on about the one where it asks you to say how many ways the three digits could be arranged?

yes! But you were asked how many ways three digits could be selected from 6. This is not arrangements but is combinations... nCr. its higher level material only now. will post a link to the syllabus in a minute to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

I think that this exam was poorly worded. It was difficult to understand what they're looking for in many questions, so I just ended up writing 2 different answers! Anyways me and many of my friends need to know if we got these right:

Q 1(B)(i) Was the answer 531441 or 468558?
    Q 1(C) Was it 9 to the power of 3 which is 729? I've never seen this type of question before so just did that.
    Q 7(A)(i) Did we have to construct another triangle? I could understand what they wanted, and I assumed from the extra space above the 2 triangles is meant to be used for drawing the larger triangle?
    Q8(B)(ii) I did this both ways and got slightly different answers. for my first attempt, I left the pi and got 900 and something (I think) and rounded it up, but then I attempted it again but this time instead of writing pi I wrote 3.14, but the answer was less by 1 when rounded up!!!! I just wrote both. Will I be penalized?
    Q8(B)(iii) How can they how much it was when he had 129 liters of paint?!?! 6 cans would be 125L, so what do you do?!
    Q9(A)(i) Was it discrete or continuous?!
    Q9(B)(ii) Was that really that easy or was there a catch? It's 185 right?!?!

Sorry if this is too long but I really want to end my nightmares and focus on my next subjects. If anyone could help thanks in advance. You won't believe how much this means to me. Thanks again.

Ok here is the link that proves the error in the paper. Open the syllabus and at the top of page 17 you will see that you can only be asked about arrangements at OL. Selections/Combinations are HL only. i am a maths teacher so you can trust me on this!
    http://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/f6f2e822-2b0c-461e-bcd4-dfcde6decc0c/SCSEC25_Maths_syllabus_examination-2015_English.pdf
    yes! But you were asked how many ways three digits could be selected from 6. This is not arrangements but is combinations... nCr. its higher level material only now. will post a link to the syllabus in a minute to prove it.

heres the link. Top of Page 17!
    http://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/f6f2e822-2b0c-461e-bcd4-dfcde6decc0c/SCSEC25_Maths_syllabus_examination-2015_English.pdf
    heres a snapshot of it

I hope you're correct as I hadn't a clue how to do this in the exam and it was one of the few things I made a horrible guess at.

DT1 wrote: »
    I think that this exam was poorly worded. It was difficult to understand what they're looking for in many questions, so I just ended up writing 2 different answers! Anyways me and many of my friends need to know if we got these right:

Q 1(B)(i) Was the answer 531441 or 468558?
    Q 1(C) Was it 9 to the power of 3 which is 729? I've never seen this type of question before so just did that.
    Q 7(A)(i) Did we have to construct another triangle? I could understand what they wanted, and I assumed from the extra space above the 2 triangles is meant to be used for drawing the larger triangle?
    Q8(B)(ii) I did this both ways and got slightly different answers. for my first attempt, I left the pi and got 900 and something (I think) and rounded it up, but then I attempted it again but this time instead of writing pi I wrote 3.14, but the answer was less by 1 when rounded up!!!! I just wrote both. Will I be penalized?
    Q8(B)(iii) How can they how much it was when he had 129 liters of paint?!?! 6 cans would be 125L, so what do you do?!
    Q9(A)(i) Was it discrete or continuous?!
    Q9(B)(ii) Was that really that easy or was there a catch? It's 185 right?!?!

Sorry if this is too long but I really want to end my nightmares and focus on my next subjects. If anyone could help thanks in advance. You won't believe how much this means to me. Thanks again.

Q 1(B)(i) 531441
    Q 1(C)THIS Q SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON PAPER! ITS HL material only. ANSwer is 6C3 which is 20.
    Q 7(A)(i) Bottom triangle was an enlarged version of the upper triangle ABC. You had to find the centre of enlargement which is a single point above the given two triangles. draw a line from P through A. Draw a line from R through C and a line from Q through B. where the 3 lines cross is the answer.
    Q8(B)(ii) The answer using 3.14 will be the correct version.
    Q8(B)(iii) 5 cans = 125L so you need to buy 6 cans.
    Q9(A)(i) continuous?!
    Q9(B)(ii)Its 185-145= 40cm. The difference between the talest possible height and the shortest possible height.

Think there needs to be a big kick up over q1c cos its no longer on the course for OL. Every student is entitled to full marks for that part!
    I hope you're correct as I hadn't a clue how to do this in the exam and it was one of the few things I made a horrible guess at.

I am a maths teacher and it jumped out of the page at me when I saw it because i had made a point of telling my classs they didnt need to do it when we did past papers!
    Here is a screenshot from the syllabus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

Q 1(B)(i) 531441
    Q 1(C)THIS Q SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ON PAPER! ITS HL material only. ANSwer is 6C3 which is 20.
    Q 7(A)(i) Bottom triangle was an enlarged version of the upper triangle ABC. You had to find the centre of enlargement which is a single point above the given two triangles. draw a line from P through A. Draw a line from R through C and a line from Q through B. where the 3 lines cross is the answer.
    Q8(B)(ii) The answer using 3.14 will be the correct version.
    Q8(B)(iii) 5 cans = 125L so you need to buy 6 cans.
    Q9(A)(i) continuous?!
    Q9(B)(ii)Its 185-145= 40cm. The difference between the talest possible height and the shortest possible height.

Think there needs to be a big kick up over q1c cos its no longer on the course for OL. Every student is entitled to full marks for that part!

Thank you for your reply. Feels like a lot of weight of my shoulders :D I feel stupid for not getting Q9bii correct though lol.

Advertisement