Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greece moves to Russia

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,127 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Why are we discussing US policy on a Greece / Russia thread?

Any discussion about Russia will descend into a US=Bad thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

WakeUp wrote: »
    Im not making a case for the US to withdraw from Asia Pacific and I know exactly what the Chinese are up to over there. they have claimed the entire south China sea and they cant do that I dont agree with them doing that. I have no desire to live under Chinese hegemony none what so ever. though the approach the west (US) has taken with them is all wrong and has been for a number of years. the Chinese are coming whether we like it or not its going to be a reality. what exactly are the Americans going to do about it when push comes to shove. go to war with China. sanction them and enter into another economic war similar to the current situation with the Russians. I wonder what the plan is.
    the part in bold I dont believe to be accurate perhaps thats for another thread though.

What would you do as the US? There's a rapidly growing, belligerent power whose ships regularly rams into your allies' to force them out of the seas. The US has tried bringing China into RIMPAC to calm things down, but that hasn't helped. China is a belligerent power who is projecting itself to be a world power: one totally at-odds with the current US-dominated establishment.

Sanctions and mass arming of allies. If that isn't enough, blockades. If that isn't enough, covert warfare (arming militants in China, electronic warfare et al), and if it still doesn't work, a limited engagement to neutralize China's power projection capabilities. I don't think it's in anyone's favour for a full out war, but if the US can neutralize China's naval and air capabilities that essentially nips the problem in the bud for a few years. Unless China launches land invasions of US allies, in which case war would be inevitable or risk the collapse of the US as a respected regional power and the fragile budding alliance between India and the US.

At least that's what I think, I can't really say for certain, I don't have access to any military planning, as much as I'd wish otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

Grayson wrote: »
    I lived there and I have to agree that it was a decent place to live. Good healthcare, education etc....

A good place unless you were a marsh arab or Kurd etc...

It did however have decent infrastructure and services in place. It was hands down a better place than it is now for the vast majority of the population.

That's what, 20% of the population? Had Saddam been left in power, he would've started a war again. He was seeking to re-arm with WMDs (and likely with missiles too) and was in all probability likely to start another war with a neighbour.

Where they better off back then? The majority probably was (well aside from the people he was kidnapping and killing), but a significant population was not, and had war begun anew with Iran, or Kuwait, or Syria, many more would have died.

Even if the US hadn't taken him out then, the Arab Spring still would've kicked off in Iraq, and Iraq would be bogged down in the same quagmire that Syria is.
    Grayson wrote: »
    When the US went in (The second time) I was against the war. It happened anyway. I was still hopeful that they could remove Saddam and the place would be better. Unfortunately they smashed the place. Far more people die there every year than did during Saddams rule. That's besides the massive population displacement.

Was the Iraq War flawless? Absolutely not. Dismantling the Iraqi Army was a colossal fúck up and it was plagued with corruption with stuff like KBR/Haliburton/Tony Blair, but I do believe that the war, in its initial formulation (removing Saddam) was a necessary step.

Advertisement