Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greece moves to Russia

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

No, they can't. The Radar-Cross Section of the F22 and F35 is such that most air assets will only see them from 20km away, despite being capable of hitting with 85%+ accuracy at 180km.

I'm not as confident in the F22 and F35 as you are, they seem to have been designed to make billions for Lockheed and Boeing more than anything else

the fact that Israel are so desperate to stop Russia selling the S-300/400 to Iran is telling IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

nokia69 wrote: »
    I'm not as confident in the F22 and F35 as you are, they seem to have been designed to make billions for Lockheed and Boeing more than anything else

Oh, it was. But it also lives up to the hype. There's a couple videos on YouTube, check out their HAoA videos and stuff.
    the fact that Israel are so desperate to stop Russia selling the S-300/400 to Iran is telling IMO

The Russians only said they'd sell it to Iran in order to throw a spanner in the works in the US-Iran nuclear negotiations. The US doesn't care, because the US has the assets to neutralize them even if they do get their hands on them. If sanctions are lifted, Iran will probably be focusing on maintaining the military complex they've built up, and probably seek to complement it with other nations' software/hardware.

If they do let their military complex slide, in favour of new weapons from Russia or China, then if sanctions are ever renewed, they're going to end up back at square one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Why are so many people so fixated on conventional warfare scenarios between Russia and the US?

Such a scenario would be David vs. Goliath, anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. In fact, even in the hypotethical scenario of China joining the fray on Russias side, they still wouldn't have a chance against the US military. The US spends almost three times on it's military than both combined - and about EIGHT times more than Russia alone.

It will never happen. But these notions that panders to anything other than the US steamrolling over Russia in a conventional non-nuclear warfare are lunacy and pretty much akin to suggesting the Irish army might beat the UK if they invaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I agree with you, but you can't only apply the Keynesian theory to the bust cycle. The Greeks didn't maintain reserves of cash (Russia has, which is why their economy isn't even smaller), a lot of them didn't even pay taxes on their earnings and the Government had to tax the ever-loving bejaysus out of their energy suppliers to make up for lost revenue.

Ireland and Greece were in much the same predicament, Ireland chose austerity and Greece fought it every step of the way. Ireland's economy is now larger in size than Greece's despite having half the people.
    Greece need to reform their tax base and many aspects of their economy, sure - Austerity makes this more difficult though, by shrinking the economy and GDP.

It's a simple matter of looking at 'sectoral balances' between the Public Sector, Private Sector and External Sector (international trade):
    By definition, increasing taxes and cutting government spending, drains the Private Sector of money (which shrinks the overall economy and GDP), and the only way to bring more money to the private sector then is through the External Sector (international trade, i.e. by exporting more - which isn't really possible in the current world economy).

It just doesn't work, and there are way better alternatives - which are blocked by a dysfunctional EU; specifically, blocked primarily by Germany, as they (Germany) have a hell of a lot more power politically and economically in Europe, by holding other countries economies down this way (as well as allowing Germany to enjoy much higher exports to the rest of the world, by holding the rest of Europe down).

Neither Ireland or Greece chose austerity, because the Euro means such a choice has to happen at an EU level (Europe could choose to abandon austerity - there are a huge array of alternative policies that could be undertaken) - and because Germany effectively blocks any possibility of EU level changes, that means Ireland/Greece's economic/political decisions have effectively been dictated by whoever pulls the purse strings (by our various creditors).

Syriza in Greece don't really have much democratic control, over Greece - as you can see by how their policies are being dictated to them. Europe isn't really a democracy anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

Oh, it was. But it also lives up to the hype. There's a couple videos on YouTube, check out their HAoA videos and stuff.

but the Russians also produce their own youtube videos

who to believe

its going to be years before we really find out for sure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

I think egginacup is in fact Vladimir Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Not really.

Israel has only 2 dozen aircraft with the range to reach Iran (the F15-E).

They aren't going to ever get the F-22 (which has an 8:1 combat multiplier over the F15-E)..... So anything that lessens Israel's odds of a successful strike on Iran they will disapprove of.

Is the s-300/400 a game changer for America?
    Almost certainly not.

but the Russians also produce their own youtube videos

We also have press releases, interviews with the pilots who flew them, technical read outs, but I don't think you want to hear about what type of electronic countermeasure or what company makes the radars and datalinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

I think OP...though I am fond of him...is a ''bait and wait'' master... :D
    Political PUA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 969 ✭✭✭JacquesDeLad

I think OP...though I am fond of him...is a ''bait and wait'' master... :D
    Political PUA.

I thought it was a she. Of 'one egg two cups' fame.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

How many in here are posting from inside a couch fortress.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭agent graves

Ба́ба с во́зу — кобы́ла в ку́рсе!!

A woman with a cart - the mare up to date !!

google translate... cant beat it ha :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How many in here are posting from inside a couch fortress.

I won't lie. You've given me an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

OP should just start a blog. Every thread he starts is a thinly veiled "Russia is great, **** the US/NATO/the West in general".

Definitely not thinly veiled. As obvious as daylight more like!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Putin wrote: »
    Conventional war? Well if you want to engage in this irrelevant nonsense, then consider this. A couple of Black Hawks were shot down in Somali back in 1993 and the American public couldn't stomach it. The US had it's asses kicked by a bunch of insurgents in Iraq. Then we have the Taliban who are stronger than ever in Afghanistan. The Americans don't like a bloody nose and boy would it be bloodied if they thought they could take on Russia or China in conventional warfare.

You clearly have no understanding of the BRIC nations project. It is still a growing economic block. The US dollar is increasingly worthless, the BRIC nations will eventually establish a currency based up real value - gold value. When the flick is finally switched and the dollar is discarded, the US financial system will collapse.

Western fanboys don't seem to understand that the balance of world power is moving east. They are deluded by some sort of Western superiority complex. Of course their is nothing more dangerous than a dying empire and the American empire is in its death throes. An all consuming need to dominate & control, usually overcomes such empires in it's final stages.

And that's why we have the Americans bugging Merkel's phone and spying on their own allies & people. It's desperate paranoia and an attempt to maintain dominance & control. Thankfully, short of starting a war, they can't turn back the tide. Asia will be become the epicenter of global power and the days of American led warfare and hypocrisy will thankfully be behind us.

Anyway, based on what I've read, I'm out. You cannot logic with the illogical.

good post. reading through the thread and some of the stuff posted I really shouldnt but ya know why not. to ignore the fact that a shift is currently taking place or has taken place is just ignoring reality. theres no other way to put it. the Chinese and Russians are working together they got plans its blatantly obvious and has been for some time. the American answer to any problem is sanctions when they cant blow sh1t up. which is what is happening with the Russians. so what are they going to do go down that same road with the Chinese vis a vis whats going in the south China sea. it isnt going to happen overnight but the Russians and Chinese share a common enemy that being the US. not only do they recognise this they are making moves and have been making moves to counter them.
    De-Dollarization Du Jour: Russia's Largest Bank Issues Yuan-Denominated Guarantees:

The unipolar, dollar-dominated post-war world is shifting under Washington’s feet.

Leading the push towards multipolarity and de-dollarization are a resurgent Russia and China, the rising superpower. The demise of the Bretton Woods world order is perhaps nowhere more apparent than in the launch of the BRICS bank and the establishment of the AIIB. These new structures represent a move away from US-dominated multilateral institutions and their very existence suggests that a failure to adapt to economic realities and an inability or unwillingness to meet the needs of the modern world may soon drive institutions like the IMF into irrelevancy.

If the demise of the existing supranational economic order seems improbable, or if calls for its downfall appear at the very least to be premature, consider recent events.

While the US obstructs efforts to reform the IMF and give member countries representation that’s commensurate with their economic clout, and as the Fund itself bickers with the EU over aid to Greece, the BRICS bank (which hasn’t even officially launched) has offered Greece a spot at the table with some reports suggesting Athens may be able to contribute its paid in capital in installments while receiving aid in the interim.

China has pledged to invest some $50 billion in Pakistani infrastructure via Beijing’s Silk Road initiative and the AIIB. The money will fund power plants, roads, railways, and, perhaps most importantly, the Iran-Pakistan natural gas pipeline. The vast sum represents 53% more than the US has given Islamabad over the past 13 years combined. China is also set to invest an equally large sum in Brazil and is even considering the construction a railroad over the Andes, which would connect Brazil to China via the Pacific and ports in Peru. Meanwhile, lawmakers in Washington fight over whether infrastructure spending could have prevented an Amtrak derailment.

When considering the above, it’s important to understand that the BRICS bank isn’t simply a channel by which rising EM powers can ban together to project their growing influence in the face of the multilateral institutions which they feel have left them underrepresented. Similarly, the AIIB is more than a foreign policy tool that will allow Beijing to establish regional dominance.

Both institutions will serve to accelerate de-dollarization. Russia, for instance, has proposed the establishment of a BRICS alternative to SWIFT. China, meanwhile, is set to ensure that the yuan plays an outsized role in lending through the AIIB.

In yet another sign that Russia and China are set to work together to extricate themselves from a dependence on the dollar specifically and on Western financial institutions more generally, Russia’s largest bank has, for the first time, extended yuan-denominated letters of credit in concert with the Chinese Export-Import bank.

More, via Sberbank:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-06-07/de-dollarization-du-jour-russias-largest-bank-issues-yuan-denominated-guarantees

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I think egginacup is in fact Vladimir Putin

Have you seen the thugs who attacked a LGBT parade in Kiev? Tut tut! I thought the new Ukrainian government was a paragon of tolerance, freedom and all that.

Egginacup wrote: »
    Have you seen the thugs who attacked a LGBT parade in Kiev? Tut tut! I thought the new Ukrainian government was a paragon of tolerance, freedom and all that.

You do know Putin is openly friends with anti-gay Bikers who refuse membership to: 1) women, 2) gay men... And they openly call for the name of the Anti-Maidan movement to be changed to "death to ******s".

Don't act like Russia is a friendly place for gays.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

You do know Putin is openly friends with anti-gay Bikers who refuse membership to: 1) women, 2) gay men... And they openly call for the name of the Anti-Maidan movement to be changed to "death to ******s".

Don't act like Russia is a friendly place for gays.

Seems like the people of Kiev are really enjoying the CIA installed junta:

http://rt.com/news/265516-kiev-protest-against-government/

"RT"

Not even going to open the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I guess we need Russia to complete the invasion to save them from the US ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

It was the government authorities & police protecting the LGBT march from these thugs!
    "Egginacup wrote: »
    A small 3000 person march calling for pension increases.

The quality of Kremlinbot is getting worse.
    I think we deserve a better class of shill.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Grayson wrote: »
    1) China is the one that has vast reserves of rare earth metals. They don't need to go looking to Russia. I was talking about a resource that the US needs

2) The vast majority of China's trade is export driven. Their primary market is the EU and US.

China might enjoy certain ties with Russia but it's never going to abandon where it's money comes from. It really needs those markets. Likewise the US needs China.

I'll put it a simpler way. There's the McDonalds analogy. No two countries with a McDonalds have ever gone to war. The reason isn't McDonalds. It's because when there's two countries like that they have enough economic ties that the a isn't worth it.

China has such huge economic ties with the US. Neither side can afford a war, economic or military.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/video/2014/aug/21/russia-shut-down-four-mcdonalds-restaurants-video
    Russia shuts down four McDonald's restaurants in Moscow over alleged sanitary violations. It is a move critics claim is part of a tit-for-tat sanctions war with the west. The federal monitoring service for consumer rights and wellbeing announced on Wednesday that the outlets include the famous restaurant on Pushkin Square that opened just before the fall of the Soviet Union

Ohh f*....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It's probably logical. The mess that has been made by the clumsy clucks in Washington to take over Ukraine in order to throttle Russian gas coming to Europe has obviously backfired. Russian oil and gas will now be supplied to Europe via pipelines running through Turkey and Greece and Ukraine be damned.
    Bulgaria stood to gain handsomely from hosting a pipeline terminal but they fcuked it all up by listening to the EU.
    A visit to Sofia by John McCain offering peace, democracy and stability Ukraine style was enough to make the Bulgarians change their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A Putin regime supporter such as yourself using abuse of LGBT people as a stick to beat another country with is simply bizarre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

A Putin regime supporter such as yourself using abuse of LGBT people as a stick to beat another country with is simply bizarre.

I don't ever remember him (Egg) ever saying he is a Putin regime supporter, rather simply pointing out that buying into the propaganda against Russia in favour of the propaganda for the ''west'' is pure idiocy. When i listen to Obama (who i once admired, God help me) instructing the G7 today about standing firm against Russia it gives me the sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I don't ever remember him (Egg) ever saying he is a Putin regime supporter, rather simply pointing out that buying into the propaganda against Russia in favour of the propaganda for the ''west'' is pure idiocy. When i listen to Obama (who i once admired, God help me) instructing the G7 today about standing firm against Russia it gives me the sick.

Fair enough. I think we're all smart enough to realise that the "free press" is a myth and pretty much everything we see and read is propaganda in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I waswondering where all the anti water protestors had gone!

To be fair Maidan was really about government corruption. That's why most of the people were there. I'd say most of the protesters in the link you provided were probably in Maidan.

Ukraine has a huge amount of corruption. I read an article in the guardian about how it's just become endemic. Doctors take bribes just so they can get essential equipment and perform basic procedures.

The last government was so corrupt they siphoned off billions. People look to the east at Russia ans see something similar. They look to the west and see something better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

So I'm guessing the OP forgot about the Pro Russian president bleeding the country dry treating the treasury as a bank account and running off with all the money ? Where did he end up again ?

• Advertisement

Fair enough. I think we're all smart enough to realise that the "free press" is a myth and pretty much everything we see and read is propaganda in some way.

I wouldn't trust anything RT says about Putin or Ukraine. However they do have some good documentaries.

Simon Ostrovsky makes the observation that you can't trust whats in the Russian media since it's state controlled. He also says that you can't really trust the Ukrainian media. However external media sources are generally ok. "Western media" covers a huge amount of sources. Calling them all Western and therefore tainted is just silly. It's not like the guardian and fox news are both reading from the same script.

https://news.vice.com/video/on-the-line-simon-ostrovsky-discusses-the-latest-from-russia-and-ukraine

Advertisement